Thursday, December 18, 2014

Throwback Thursday - The Greek's Christmas Baby

The Greek's Christmas Baby
by Lucy Monroe
(Connected to The Greek's Innocent Virgin)
ISBN #0-3731-2506-2
November 2005

The only proof that Greek tycoon Aristide Kouros has that he is married is a piece of paper. Aristide has no memory of his beautiful wife Eden – although his body remembers the desire he feels every time she comes close…

Eden loves her husband and it’s breaking her heart that he has no recollection of their love…But Eden is keeping a secret one that will bind Aristide to her forever…


The Inspiration Behind the Book
This was originally posed in a blog in December 2005

I wrote "The Greek's Christmas Baby" after my mom had a stroke. She woke up and had forgotten her family...her kids mostly. But she remembered her husband in this vague way and he is obsessive compulsive (not very nice on a lot of occasions - can be very emotionally abusive). My sisters and I were so hurt and it took weeks for Mom to start remembering us. During that time, I came up with this story idea. What would happen if a husband woke up having forgotten only his wife?

I think a lot of my own pain is in that story and I loved both Eden and Aristide because in their own ways, they were fighting the good fight. They just got confused sometimes about who the enemy was.

I remember sitting in the chair by my mom's hospital bed (I spent *a lot* of time at the hospital because I'm the only daughter who works at home, so I worked there and just hung out with her a lot) and taking tons of notes on her condition. At one point she asked what I was doing and I told her I was taking notes for a book. She gave me this look, a conspiratorial one - for a brief flash, she remembered that about me, not that I was her daughter but that *everything* was fodder for my books. She smiled and winked and I blinked back tears. A few hours later she remembered out of the blue that she had six children. She still didn't recognize us, but she remembered that she'd had us. It was a good moment.

The funny thing was, the doctors couldn't understand the amnesia at first. They said the part of her brain affected by the stroke should not have impacted her memory. It was only after a second MRI that they saw how massive the stroke really had been. But you see...so many of the themes in that book played out in my mom's hospital room and later. And now I'm getting all emotional thinking about it. It's good to have her remembering us...not a gift we're ever likely to take for granted.

Hugs,
Lucy

No comments: