Monday, November 04, 2013

Holiday Family Recipes



Thanksgiving is just a few short weeks away and there are so many amazing things to look forward to...the aroma of the turkey cooking, smell of fresh pumpkin pies, family get togethers and sleepovers with the grandchildren.  This is a wonderful time of year.  I just love the tradition of it all and especially love seeing my girls build their own family traditions. 

We will be having two Thanksgivings this year.  With a family as big as ours, it is not unusual for us to have more than one.  On Thanksgiving day, Hubcap and I will host our family Thanksgiving.  Then on the following Sunday we will host another feast of Thanksgiving for my sisters and their extended families. It is a wonderful (and super busy) day of remembering all the blessings in our lives.  

No matter what you are doing or how you celebrate Thanksgiving, I hope you have a blessed day.  I am thankful for each of you and that you chose to be part of my life. 

Here's a recipe my mom taught me that she used to make for Thanksgiving and now I do (updated with a couple of healthy alternative ingredients):

Shirley-Ann's Thanksgiving Cream Corn Casserole

2 Cans of Creamed Corn
1 Cup Egg Substitute (liquid)
1 Package (unsalted tops) Saltines (crushed)
1/2 tspn garlic powder
1/2 tspn onion powder

Options:  if you like onions, add either onion flakes (3 TBPN) or fresh finely chopped onion (about 1/3 of a cup).  Also you can add breadcrumbs or more finely crushed crackers to the top.

Mix in a glass or ceramic dish no larger than 9x9.  Bake uncovered 30-40 minutes in preheated oven at 350 (375 if you like a crispier top).  Let cool at room temperature at least 10 minutes before serving.

Please share one of your favorite family recipes with us below.  I will chose one recipe from those posted and make it for my family this year so make it a good one!  I'll post pics on Facebook and Twitter over Thanksgiving. 

2 comments:

dstoutholcomb said...

I make a variation and it contains saffron, too--a Pennsylvania-German tradition!

Laney4 said...

For Thanksgiving, I usually make stovetop dressing, as I've never mastered making homemade within the bird (without bones intruding). I like to add some cut-up sausages and bacon to give a stronger flavor.

I also like to add shredded cheese and broken pieces of bacon to my mashed potatoes. (Can you see an unhealthy theme here? Oops. In my defense, it IS Thanksgiving, LOL!)

My family wants my homemade mac & cheese whenever we have ham (and other times too, of course). It is SOOOO simple, as noted below. (You don't have to be exact with ANY of the ingredients; I never measure.) Double it for a 9x13 pan.

2 cups (500 mL) elbow macaroni (if 4 big eaters; 1½ to 1¾ cups if “regular” eaters)
1 cup (250 mL) ketchup (and/or chili sauce and/or BBQ sauce – I find majority should be ketchup)
½ cup (125 mL) water (shaken in ketchup container, if at bottom of container to get every last drop)
1 cup (250 mL) shredded cheddar cheese (mild, medium, or marble, sometimes adding a bit of mozzarella)
(Pam) cooking spray

Boil macaroni until edible/soft.

In a medium-sized bowl, pour ketchup (mixture). Add water (whether from measuring cup or measuring cup into ketchup container to empty first). I just go by the consistency – it’s not really thick but not watery, although closer to thick than watery - like pasta sauce.

Spray Pyrex container. Coat the bottom with a little of the ketchup mixture. Add half of the drained macaroni. Add half or less of the shredded cheese. Spread half the ketchup mixture on top evenly. Repeat with balance of drained macaroni, balance of shredded cheese, and balance of ketchup mixture. Swish slightly to ensure evenly distributed.

Bake at anywhere from 350oF (180oC) to 425oF (220oC). Oven doesn’t have to be preheated first. Can cook on bottom shelf in oven up to middle shelf in oven, depending on how long you leave it and at what temperature. It is done when the cheese is melted and the Pam edges turn darker and not crispy. It might take 20 to 25 minutes if done at 350oF (180oC).

Makes 4 to 6 servings. Keep in mind the recipe is extremely flexible, depending on what temperature your oven needs for the meat, for example. The lower the shelf, the faster it will cook, obviously. It will taste fine no matter what temperature and what time, as long as it doesn’t get too crispy.