Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Reader Fitness Challenge 2013 - Week 1

Here's an article about weight loss myths.  There is so much information out there, how do you now what's true.  This weight loss article will help you sort out 5 common myths. 

5 Common Weight Loss Myths

  • You can just exercise it off. While it’s possible for some of us with a fast enough metabolism or the right workout routine to burn more calories than we eat, it’s often not sustainable. Nor is exercise-only weight loss a good indicator you’re getting the nutrition you need long term to sustain and maintain a healthy life. Sure, you might be able to work off a diet of burgers, fries and shakes, but you might still die of a heart attack.
  • Skipping meals is a great way to lose weight. Skipping meals not only nutritionally starves your body and brain; it slows your metabolism down, which actually makes it harder to lose weight.
  • The scale and BMI (body mass index) are accurate ways to monitor if you are at a healthy weight. Neither the scale nor BMI take into account some pretty important characteristics unique to you, such as your gender or your body frame (ex. do you have a small, medium or large frame for your height) or how much of your weight is fat versus muscle.
  • A pill, lotion or drink will take the weight off permanently. The weight didn’t magically come on; taking it off permanently and safely takes lifestyle education and change. It doesn’t have to be hard or expensive, but it does take change.
  • Losing more than about ½ pound a week is about all that’s healthy and sustainable for weight loss over time. While Vitela whole-heartedly supports anything that is working for you, we support a doctor-recommended clinical food program where clients lose an average of 8-22 pounds monthly. Especially for those folks who have a lot of weight to lose, staying on track at only ½ pound loss per week is challenging for most of us.
**articles on this blog are for discussion purposes only.  Please consult your doctor when seeking medical advice. 

Remember to leave a comment about the article or an encouraging message for others on their weight loss journey. 

18 comments:

Sabrina said...

This is very helpful information. Good that it's out there.

Quilt Lady said...

This is very helpful. I have had weight issues all my life and I use to be able to take off a few lbs but once I reached 50 it just didn't happen any more. I need to take some weight off right now due to hip problems because they say it is worn out. Any helpful tips I can get here will be useful.

SusanR said...

Thanks for the great tips! It is so hard to lose weight, especially as we get older.

Joan Raymond said...

I love these tips. It's encouraging to know that one doesn't have to lose 30 lbs in a month to be successful.

Debby said...

Great advice. I think I would like to lose more than 1/2 pound a week. I lost 2.

Alexis said...

man I wish there was lotion that could just take off the weight...lol!!

Z said...

Well, the last one surprised me. I think drinking water and lots of it will also help.
Z

Pam said...

Great advice. It is definitely harder to get the excess weight off now that I'm 17 with 38 years experience!

Serena Zane said...

Great advice. I have found that to change your weight you really have to change your lifestyle. I will be posting on my blog tomorrow about some of the changes I will be making during this challenge. Www.serenazane.com thanks Lucy.

Mary Preston said...

It's great to have the myths de-bunked.

CrystalGB said...

Great advice. I wish there was a quick fix but it takes a lot of work and perseverance.

Joyce M. said...

If only wishing would make it so!

Pamk said...

I agree. I was exercising 5 days a week and eating healthier and I lost 42 lbs in 6 months. I felt good and then it got cold weather and if quit walking my 3 days then my sensei closed his dojo so I had to quit my other two days exercising. I am going to have to make myself get back into the routine. It is hard to get started and stay on track. It's a life time commitment but I am determined that this year is my year. Took me a couple of years to quit smoking but finally accomplshed that. Just have to get my mind set right.

SiNn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SiNn said...

those tips are a relief they are myths I plan on usen all the help i can get ty for posting Lucy!

Lisa said...

Sounds like great advice. I know for a fact that BMI is wrong, but i would love to fit into the BMI numbers for my height.

one6ylady said...

Everyone wants you to buy their miracle product to make it all disappear with lightning speed. LOL

Laurie G said...

I found that if I used a smaller plate and ate more slowly, I became full and ate less. I also found that if I denied myself something like ice cream I craved it more. So now I allow myself a small amount every so often and I don't feel deprived.