Monday, December 10, 2012

My Exciting News!!!

I have been waiting and waiting and waiting to share some super exciting news with you all and now I finally get to.  It's official.  It's even been announced by Publisher's Weekly in Publisher's Marketplace.  That makes it really official, right?

I have a new series with a new publisher!!!!  It's single title contemporary romance with my signature alpha heroes, deeply emotional stories and ahem...some very hot intimacy.

I was going to write a blurb about it, but honestly, the publisher said it best in their release announcement to PW: Lauren Plude, at Forever/ Grand Central Publishing recently acquired USA TODAY bestselling author, Lucy Monroe (Not Just the Greek's Wife, The Greek's Pregnant Lover) in a three book deal, launching a brand new contemporary stand-alone romance series called the Cailkirn Chronicles.  Set to publish in Spring 2015 back-to-back (April, May and June) the series takes place in Cailkirn, a small Alaskan town where the temperature might be cold, but the men are hot! World rights sold by Ethan Ellenberg of the Ethan Ellenberg Literary Agency.

Some of you may wonder how this came about and what is going to happen to my other series (the Goddard Project/Atrati for Brava and Children of the Moon for Berkley).  In answer, I have to begin by saying that this has been a year of crossroads and change, but particularly the past couple of months.  With the closing of Borders and many more independent bookstores in the past two years, everyone has taken a dip in sales and print runs and it has become more necessary than ever for authors and their publishers to really examine what is working and what isn't.

Added to that, for me, is the question: what do I *want* to write?  Which is closely linked to: who do I want to write for?  In the past, it was common knowledge that the publishing industry was slow to change, a behemoth that did not alter direction on a whim.  That is no longer true.  With the advent of affordable eReaders, wholesale closing of tons of bricks and mortar stores and numerous small presses popping onto the landscape, things are changing in my industry faster than I devour a new Presents by Lynne Graham.  You feel me?

So, enter one author (me) who really resists change into this super charged ball of combustible publishing energy.


First, let me start by saying: I am continuing with my Harlequin Presents and have a minimum of 3 books a year planned for the next THREE years.

I love my Atrati and secret agents, but Heat Seeker will be the last book in the series for the foreseeable future.

This is entirely my decision and was originally made with the understanding I would focus all my single title mojo on my Children of the Moon.  It had simply become too hard to maintain three different publishing careers and I had to choose.  However, in a turn of events that stunned me, the publisher lost enthusiasm for my Chrechte series, asking me to create a new paranormal world for them instead of writing any more COTM books.  The news came after I turned in Warrior's Moon.

I am committed to providing closure for the series for my readers, but when and how that will happen is still up in the air.  Just please be aware, it's on my "must do" list.

When my agent called with the news, I took a step back and really asked myself what I wanted to be writing if I couldn't write my Chrechte anymore.  I got advice from two of my most trusted friends and mentors in the business, but it was my big sister who put it into perspective best for me.  She said maybe the time had come to challenge myself.  Not write what I knew I could do, but write something new and different - bigger and better even.

Hubcap took me to the beach for a day, where we talked and walked and relaxed as he faced his own Nexus point in his career.  (Interesting how it all comes down at once, isn't it?  Career changes, both of us losing more family in the last year to death, two new grandbabies and our son taking a sabbatical from the family all coming so close together.)  We came home from playing hooky at the beach pretty set on what we were going to do and feeling a lot of peace about all of it, though the risks involved for both of us were/are huge.

Rather than sticking with what has become familiar, I opted to take a chance on a series idea that has been percolating in my head since my trip to Alaska this summer.  It's straight contemporary romance and I'm confident my readers are going to love it.  Why?  Because when I was deciding what I wanted to do, I did a lot of re-reading of reader letters in my soul searching.  (You all don't know what a difference you make to me.)  And do you know what I found?  My readers respond most vociferously, passionately and prolifically to my contemporary romance.

I also realized, I'm still grieving the loss of my Chrechte too much to consider writing another paranormal series right now.

If you want to read more about the new series and how it came to be, check out my interview on my new publisher's website.

I'm over the moon to be writing for Forever Romance at Grand Central Publishing and working with a new editor who is as excited about this series as I am.   Merry Christmas to me!  Really. Really. :)

Lauren (isn't she gorgeous?) encouraged me to share this with you all:  “I’m absolutely thrilled to have the chance to work with Lucy! I’ve long been a fan of hers and I’m excited to partner with her on this new and exciting chapter in her career. The Cailkirn Chronicles features stories full of the passion, hope, and heart that is so uniquely Lucy.  I know readers are going to be as taken with Cailkirn and its residents as I am--get ready, Lucy Monroe fans, we’re off to Alaska!”

Okay, seriously?  Who wouldn't be bouncing off the wall excited to be working with an editor who feels this way?  This business isn't easy and having an editor(s) who not only get my writing, but get me as a person is a gift I never take for granted.

There will be plenty of releases between now and the debut of the Cailkirn Chronicles, but I cannot wait to share these stories with you.  I think they really will be special and I'm hoping you all agree.

Mega hugs and happy reading into the New Year,
Lucy

14 comments:

calstephanie said...

Congratulations! Sounds like a lot of exciting things are coming for you. Looking forward to seeing where they take you!

Lucy Monroe said...

Thanks, hon! It has been CRAZY these past months and challenging and hard, but the end result? I think is going to be amazingly good. :)

ShellyE said...

Congrats Lucy! Have you considered self-publishing your COTM books or even novellas from the other series? I love your spies!! :) No matter what you do, I can't wait to read it!!

Kate Hardy said...

Congrats, Lucy, and all the very best with your new venture!

Jenna Bayley-Burke said...

Congratulations! This is going to be such fun.

Lucy Monroe said...

Thanks, ShellyE. :) I'm considering every angle, but the biggest consideration is time. Squeezing the writing in between contractual obligations with a new series. However, I *will* do it. :)

Kate & Jenna...Thank you! :) I'm REALLY looking forward to this! :)

Jane said...

Congrats on the book deal with Forever, Lucy.

Jessa Slade said...

You know, when I read this, I could INSTANTLY picture your take on hot Alaskan men! It's obviously meant to be :) So excited for you!

Lucy Monroe said...

Thank you, Jane! :)

LOL Jessa! Thanks! :) I can't wait to share them with you all. :)

Denysé Bridger said...

Congratulations, Lucy. Your talent and mostly of all your wonderful and loving self deserves all the successes and great things you desire. If anyone can make this something extraordinary, it's YOU!! So happy for you, truly.

Love and Blessings, always ~ D

lidia said...

Lucy,

Congratulations! This past year has been full of many changes for you and your family.

I am definitely looking forward to reading new titles by you, regardless of where they are published.

Sending cyber champagne your way!

Mary Preston said...

I always think that change can be a good thing.

I wish you well in all your new endeavors.

robertsonreads said...

Congratulations Lucy. You need to do/write what is going to make you happy and what you can live with. Life is too short to be miserable and unhappy. Many blessings on your new endeavor and look forward to continued excellent reading.

Lucy Monroe said...

Denysé...thank you. As always, you are so incredibly kind. Smooches!

Lidia...it's always a joy to see your name on a comment/email. :) Thanks much for the good wishes and kind words!

Mary...it is, just hard for me to grasp sometimes. :) Hugs!

Ginger...exactly! Ultimately, it comes down to doing something we love for people we appreciate. :)

Mega thanks and hugs to all of you!