Friday, November 23, 2012

Guest Blogger - Jami Davenport

An advocate of happy endings, Jami Davenport writes sexy romantic comedy, sports hero romances, and equestrian fiction. Jami lives on a small farm near Puget Sound with her Green Beret-turned-plumber husband, a Newfoundland cross with a tennis ball fetish, a prince disguised as an orange tabby cat, and an opinionated Hanoverian mare.

Jami works in IT for her day job and is a former high school business teacher and dressage rider. In her spare time, she maintains her small farm and socializes whenever the opportunity presents itself. An avid boater, Jami has spent countless hours in the San Juan Islands, a common setting in her books. In her opinion, it is the most beautiful place on earth.



The Non-Traditional Family

I love the holidays, which is probably why I decided to write a Christmas short story this year. Love at First Snow is not my typical book as it runs a little on the sweet side. It’s also a little more serious than most of my books, at least in the beginning. It confronts the issue of spending the holidays without a traditional family unit.

Christmas is a time for family, but what if you don’t have a traditional family made up of brothers, sisters, mother, father, grandparents, and aunts and uncles? Maybe they don’t exist anymore or maybe they’re just too far away or maybe you’ve never had a traditional family.

I know how this feels as I lost my father when I was three and my mother when I was twenty-five (my mother never remarried so there’s no stepfamily), and my only sibling about five years ago. I have plenty of relatives, but they’re hours away and have their own families with which to celebrate the holidays. My husband has three children but doesn’t see them for holidays, as they spend both holidays with their mother’s family. It’s always been that way, and we’ve accepted that it always will be that way, fair or not.

So hubbie and I created a non-traditional family made up of friends, step-family, and my ex-husband and his new wife and their daughter. Yes, you heard me correctly. We are good friends with my ex-husband. His son is essentially my son, and we introduced him to his new wife a few years ago. Definitely a non-traditional family, but it works for us.

In Love at First Snow, both the hero, Blake, and the heroine, Sarah, have lost those closest to them and find themselves alone at Christmas. On Christmas eve Blake finds an emaciated kitten near death in a snowbank. He takes the kitten to the vet clinic just in the nick of time as the veterinarian, Sarah, is about to close up for the night.

These two lonely souls find each other on Christmas Eve with the help of an injured kitten and a rare Orcas Island snowstorm. After all Christmas is about love and they find love on this magical night.

I wish you a very Happy Holidays and hope you surround yourself with your “family” and experience the joy of the season.


Love at First Snow 

Christmas is a time for family--if you have a family.  

Four years ago on Christmas Eve, NHL hockey player Blake Daniels lost his entire family in a float plane crash. Every Christmas Eve he mourns his losses by returning to the family vacation home in Friday Harbor, Washington, his family's destination that fateful night. Only this year he's also mourning the loss of his hockey career and wondering what's left to live for. When he finds a kitten starving and half frozen in a foot of snow, he rushes the tiny thing to the local animal hospital.  

Still reeling from the unexpected loss of her father on Christmas Eve two years ago, Dr. Sarah Whitney opens the door to her clinic and finds a rough and tough professional athlete holding a minuscule kitten in his big hands. Only a miracle can save the frozen creature and only a miracle can heal the devastating losses suffered by both Sarah and Blake.  

But Christmas is the time for healing and miracles if you only believe and give love a chance.

Buy the book:





4 comments:

Mary Preston said...

There is always a touch of 'magic' in a Christmas read. Just wonderful.

Jami Davenport said...

Thank you, Mary, and thank you so much to Lucy for hosting me today on her blog.

Lavada Dee said...

I love Christmas and so of course Christmas stories. This sounds like my kind of story Jami. And thank you for a great blog post to let us get to know you better.

Laurie Ryan said...

I love the idea of this story. In today's modern age, the definition of family has evolved. I love that my family now includes significant others and friends. And, like you, ex's are generally part of the holiday celebrations.