Monday, October 15, 2012

USA Today, Facebook, ORR...Catching Up

Man, was last week wild, or what?  We had over 630 registered readers and 40 authors at our Online Reader Retreat and gave away nearly 100 prizes.  I was truly overwhelmed by everyone's generosity and enthusiasm.

I know a lot of you saw on my Facebook page and Twitter that Not Just the Greek's Wife hit the USA Today best seller's list.  I'm still 100% over the moon about that!  The industry has changed so much and books and authors that once hit the lists simply aren't any longer.  I was stunned when my editor called me from London to tell me that my book had done it.  And it's all down to you!  Thank you for buying the book.  Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to leave a comment, or post a reader review!  It makes a huge difference!

You've probably noticed my very pink theme on Facebook - because October is the official month for Breast Cancer awareness.  That means, if you are over the age of 40 and haven't had your mammogram this year, this is your reminder to make an appointment.  I'm also asking you very personally and with sincere hope you'll remember to start and/or continue doing your own breast self-examinations.  Both my sister and aunt are breast cancer survivors and their journeys were hugely impacted by early detection.

I personally support the Komen Race for the Cure and Avon's Breast Cancer Crusade

Speaking of Facebook, for any of you who do not know: FB now only allows 10% of the fans of a page to receive the pages posts before requiring the administrators to pay a fee to promote *each* post further. If you want to make sure you continue to receive updates from the pages you "Like" - you have to add an "Interests List" for your favorite pages like Lucy Monroe - Fans by following these directions:
To keep on RECEIVING POSTS you have to OPEN THE PAGE, hover the mouse on the "Like" button near the gear symbol. In the pop-up select "ADD TO THE INTEREST LISTS". Doing so will assure that you continue getting posts from the pages you love.
Funny thing about that.  I posted this to my FB group page and set up an ad to promote it so everyone would know to make the change if they wanted to.  About two hours later, my ad got cancelled, but FB assured me that my post was left in everyone's newsfeeds.  Apparently, FB only wants my money when I'm *not* telling readers how to get updates from me without me having to pay for it. ;-)

In my last bit of catching up, I want to tell you about a very special endeavor happening on Friday. I'm very honored to be participating in Authors Against Bullying.  I will have a blog post here and will be sharing on Twitter with the hashtag #AuthorsAgainstBullying.  I hope you will join in the discussion.  Everyone's opinion counts, everyone has a voice in this dialogue because every person deserves a life free from bullying.

And yes, it happens to adults as well as children.  Something, we'll be discussing here on my blog come Friday.

I look forward to chatting with you all on Friday!  Now, I've got to get back to writing or there won't be any books by me for us all to talk about later. :)

Have a great week!

Hugs,
Lucy

http://www.lucymonroe.com/
http://www.facebook.com/LucyMonroe.Romance
http://twitter.com/lucymonroe

4 comments:

Mary Preston said...

I don't find FB to be user friendly. This could just be my age showing.

I would much rather visit your site & blog.

Lucy Monroe said...

Mary...they change so often, it gets confusing. I'm trying to adapt as so many readers want to connect there, but the latest "change" is so user unfriendly, it blows my mind. Hugs!

Donna said...

I heard about the Authors Against Bullying from Alyssa Day but wasn't aware that you were one of the authors involved. I think its terrific. I'm not great with online chats as I don't type fast and things stream by so quickly but I'll lurk. I did have fun and met a lot of "new to me authors" at your ORR

Lucy Monroe said...

Donna...chats can be really overwhelming. I personally prefer blogs but as you can see, not a lot of my readers do. :) Hugs!