Friday, October 12, 2012

Retreat Guest Blogger Serena Zane




Visit Serena's Website
Serena Zane lives with her husband and son in the Northwest. She works hard, and plays hard, spending her free time studying the Middle Ages in a re-creationist organization called the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc (SCA).; as well as writing her novels.

Serena started writing at an early age with short stories, and poetry inspired by her mother, a strong independent woman who loves to help others, and writes as well. In 2009, Serena became a member of Romance Writer’s of America, and has been working on her craft with the wonderful members of the Olympia Chapter. Serena has written two Sweet Romance stories based around her experiences in the SCA, Moonlight in a Pickup Truck and Follow the Heart. 

Vampire mythos classic vs. modern

Over the centuries the mythos of the Vampire has both fascinated and disgusted us. Like a car accident, we just can't look away. The thought that something so beautiful could be so dangerous is almost irresistible for the human race. 

As a person, I have a love of all things paranormal: vampires, werewolves, witches, etc... As a writer, the history of each has taken on a sort of morbid fascination for me. Due to the fact that there are so many different legends that have been created about the Vampire, I took what I loved most about each and then added my own twist on the vampire vs. werewolf wars of legend. 

Zaniac vampires, as I like to call them, are created. In their own sub-culture, a priestess in Egyptian times fell in love with a young warrior. However, he spurned her affections, and as a curse she created the first vampire. Each vampire after that was created from this first 'original'. Zaniac vampires can shape-shift, fly, have heightened senses, mind-control, and telepathy. Silver can kill them. As is traditional, they cannot be exposed to sunlight, are effected adversely by Holy Water, and a good old fashioned stake will take them out. While they can 'fall in love' and do so intensely, there is no such thing as a 'lifemate' unlike in my favorite novels by Christine Feehan.  They do have a marriage ceremony that ties them for life and vampires do not believe in open relationships once married. Adultery is punished by death. However, before marriage, they are rather promiscuous. Zaniac vampires are immune to drugs, or disease, and are of course immortal. 

The legend I have created to make this my own is a twist on the old vampire vs. werewolf wars. In Zaniac history werewolves were held as slaves by the vampire race. Werewolf blood is like a drug for vampires, creating a sense of euphoria. It is highly addictive. The werewolves rebelled back in the Middle Ages and a great war was started creating a rift between the two species. In the Dark Warrior series, vampire Damon Blake falls for Nikki Adams, who is part-werewolf. This creates numerous issues that Zaniac's can experience throughout this ongoing series. My newest release, Bane, explores how old grudges and beliefs can effect one's life. 

Just for fun, I have included a comparison chart below of some of my favorite vampire legends. Check it out, and let me know what you think!

Vampire Mythos Comparison Chart

Authors
Bram Stroker
Dracula
Christine Feehan
Dark series
Anne Rice
The Vampire Chronicles
L.J. Smith
Vampire Diaries
Stephanie Meyer
Twilight Saga
P.C. Cast
House of Night

Serena Zane
Dark Warriors & Hunter Diaries series
Pros







Shape-shift
*Fog, bats
*Any




*Any
Invisibility
*
*



*
*
Compulsion
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Telepathy

*


*
*
*
Magical Abilities
*
*



*
*
Flying
*
*
*



*
Preternatural Speed
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Cons or causes Death







Sunlight
*
*
*
*

*
*
Wooden Stakes
*
*
*
*


*
Holy Water
*

*



*
Silver





*
*
Crosses
*

*



*
Decapitation
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Fire
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Starving
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Dependent on Lifemate

*





Loss of Emotion

*

*



Sleeps in Coffin
*

*




Sleeps in Ground

*




*
Created
*

*
*
*
*
*
Born

*


*
*

28 comments:

Serena Zane said...

Lucy, thanks for having me today!

Erin Towne said...

I LOVE this. Great interpretation of vampires. So many authors don't have an explanation and its great to see another person have one! And the comparison chart was amazing as well. Thanks for sharing Serena!

Serena Zane said...

Thanks. I've been reading paranormal romances, and other paranormal books most of my life. It amazes me about how things change with legends. I love to mix it up.

brandi said...

Hi serena! I love how everyone has their own take om a myth. As there is no real answer it is aleays fun to see what others think!

How did you become involved in the SCA?

Serena Zane said...

I joined the SCA about 18 years ago in high school. The guy I had a crush on in drama class asked me to a feast. I fell in love with the SCA immediately and started playing. That was in Lewiston, Idaho. I now live in Lacey, WA with my husband (who I met at 40th year anniversary in the SCA) and our son.

Laurie Ryan said...

It's funny how there are myths and things in fantasy and paranormal that you can tweak...and things you don't dare. Neat comparision, Serena!

Serena Zane said...

Thanks. I found it amazing in my research how many different variations of the vampire there really are. These are just a few. There is so much more out there. It was a bit overwhelming, and awe-inspiring! I was so encouraged to just run with what I love.

Christine Mead said...

I loved reading your post and your comparison chart was great!

Serena Zane said...

@Christine Thank you. It was fun to put together.

brandi said...

Being someone that hasn't read your books before, how would you describe the theme of them?

Serena Zane said...

Depends on which one. The Dark Warrior series is my favorite. I like to say they are like CSI with a vampire twist.

SiNn said...

nice your a new to me author will have to check out your books your vamps sound awesome

Serena Zane said...

@Brandi I have been told that I write a lot like Christine Feehan, but my paranormals are all in short serials, so it's a continuation of a story-line. They mainly deal with overcoming obstacles such as prejudice. The main characters in the Dark Warrior series are Detective Nikki Adams - a homicide detective in Boston, MA and her vampire boyfriend, Damon Blake.

Serena Zane said...

@SiNn Thanks, you can check them out on my website http://serenazane.com or on Amazon, they are all listed on my author page.

brandi said...

Sounds interesting. I will have to check out your stories I like it when I had can have a few books or stories to read in weekend to give me something that I know I can finish in look forward to something else

calstephanie said...

Hi Serena. Great post! :)

Serena Zane said...

@ calstephanie Thanks. @Brandi - That's why I chose to write in a serial format. They are fast and fun to read. Remember Dark Warriors is a continuing story much like the Buffy the Vampire series, but different. You'll have to let me know what you think. Drop by my website anytime or my blog at: http://serenazaneauthor.blogspot.com

brandi said...

Will do! I have to get some funds set aside but definitely on one of my weekend read lists!!!

Serena Zane said...

@brandi many are priced at $.99 or $1.99 for Kindle.

robertsonreads said...

Hi Serena,
I'm not into bats or paranormal readings as I would scare myself to death. How do you not? Though I do have to admit I did find the chart facinating.
Thank you for sharing your time with us today on ORR.
Ginger

Serena Zane said...

@robertsonreads I found when I was going to school for criminal justice that it was better to pour my fears into writing than to dwell too deeply on them as I lay in my bed at night. However, I will admit that I find myself turning on all the lights in the house and checking the locks every once in a while.

You might find my Sweet Romances more to your liking. Follow the Heart is a Sweet Romance about a woman who is at a turning point in her life when she meets a handsome stranger at a medieval fair.

brandi said...

Serena, Thanks for taking time to chat with us!!!

Serena Zane said...

@brandi No problem. Anytime. Just stop by my blog or website and I'll be sure to respond. I love hearing from readers.

Mary Wolf said...

I myself am bias. Serena is my truest and bestest friend. I love everything she writes. But if you do want a good read it is true she can give you that.

Serena Zane said...

@Mary Thank you Bff! You are wonderful as well. I'm glad you like the books too.

Linda Henderson said...

I read a lot of paranormal and vampires, werewolves and witches have always been my favorites. I like your chart.

joder said...

Thanks for the chart! I'm a big fan of the paranormal and love when authors shake up the usual myths to creat something unique.

gogi1_2 AT yahoo DOT com

flchen1 said...

Very cool! I love the charting! Such a fun post for us paranormal fans!