Friday, October 12, 2012

Retreat Guest Blogger Meg Lacey

Hi everyone,  I’m Meg Lacey.

It’s a rainy day where I live, the perfect day to forget about everything and sit down with a good book and have a “Me” Day. I can hear some of you thinking, “Yeah, right, never going to happen! I have too much to do.” Work, family, school, etc.— believe me, I understand. As women, I think we come with guilt programmed into our DNA.

Take me for example. I don’t relax well. I wrote my first novel in the sixth grade, but my writing career didn't last. Instead I went into theatre before ending up in televison as a writer-producer for many years. Although I’m now writing fulltime, I still have tons of obligations that get in the way of taking a ‘Me’ day. But you know what? Lately, I’ve forcing myself to haul out my inner diva and say, “Screw it. I’m taking time for me!”  You need to do the same.

So today, or sometime soon make time for the Me in You. Forget the guilt and just go for it. Grab a glass of wine, a book and take a bubblebath, find a corner and indulge in yoga followed by dark chocolate, watch a sad movie and cry your eyes out, or do what I’m going to do today—go for a long walk in the rain. Before you go, though, I’d like to tell you about my paranormal romance series coming out from Imajinn Books, www.imajinnbooks.com,  on Sept. 30, 2012—“Tales of the Sparrow.”  The first book is “The Sparrow and The Hawk. “

“Tales of the Sparrow” is a humorous, paranormal romantic adventure series set in the future—a time when magic, myths, shapeshifters and other mystical creatures are possible because the veil between this world and the next had been stripped away.

In the first book, The Sparrow and The Hawk…

Buy the book
Jillie Harte, code name the Sparrow, a documentary film maker is an agent for the NAS (Normal, Abnormal, Strange) Agency. Her assignment—find The Carmaletta Choker before it falls into the wrong hands and destroys the world. Franklin Doherty, and associates are suspected of having the choker; and they are definitely the wrong hands! To get close to Franklin,  Jillie is producing a film on “Decoration, Fashion and Accessories Throughout History,” featuring his antique collection. Her assignment is complicated by Griff Ryland, her new, hot cameraman, who is also looking for the necklace. Griff is an enigma. Is he friend or foe? And why is she so distracted by his "pure sex on a stick" appeal?

Like the Sparrow, Griff, aka the Hawk, needs to retrieve the choker. It disappeared from his dimension years before, and his job is to bring it back.  Since he can shapeshift into a hawk or a mountain lion at a moment’s notice, Griff feels certain of success.  But he doesn’t bargain for a sassy, sexy redhead—and for his overwhelming urge to settle their differences in bed.

Now Griff and Jillie must not only overcome the deadly dark forces who want the choker, but they must also face their developing relationship.

And they thought saving the world from evil and chaos was hard!!!!

 Excerpt:  The Sparrow and The Hawk

Jillie did another visual sweep of the lobby and met the gaze of a red-hot guy across the room. Jillie held her breath as the serious eye-yum moved toward her. The guy didn’t walk as much as he swaggered in that cocky, loose-limbed and fluid way that some great-looking men have programmed into their bones. He was tall and lean, with wheat-blond hair sporting a hint of a wave that fell almost to his shoulders, brilliant blue eyes, chiseled cheekbones and a strong jawbone. Still holding her gaze, the man smiled. His teeth were so strong and white that Jillie was tempted to reach for her sunglasses. He looked like a cover model for a man’s Western cologne. All he needed was a wild horse between his thighs, a wilder woman hanging onto him as if she’d never let him go, and a pulsating soundtrack. 
His smile broadened as he came close. “Hey,” he said. 
Jillie glanced over her shoulder to see whom he was addressing. 
“Hey,” he said again. 
Redirecting her gaze, Jillie was surprised to find him standing directly in front of her. Given her recent image of him on a horse, his “hey” sounded appropriate. 
“Hey, there.” His voice was deep and a bit raspy, intimate enough to make Jillie think of hot, sweaty sex. 
She frowned, wishing she could shut her eyes. Her nose started itching. Maybe she was allergic to so much male beauty.  His grin moved up a notch to more-blinding-than-the noonday-summer-sun. Jillie blinked. “You must really have a great dentist.” 
The guy looked confused for a moment. “Huh?”
“Forget it. Just a joke.” 
“Oh.” He hooked a thumb in his belt. “Are you Jillian Harte? I’m Griff Ryland.”
“Uh-huh.” 
“You know. Griff Ryland.”
Words formed in her mind as she felt the full power of his blue eyes, but given his questioning look, she didn’t think her verbal answer came out well.  She tried again, taking care to form each syllable. “No. I don’t know any Griff Ryland.”
He shrugged, “We’ve never met personally.  I thought Kenny might have said something, since I’ve already heard a lot about you.”
Jillie tilted her head, wondering where this was leading.  “I know Kenny Podansky. He works with me.”
“Not on this project. You get me instead.”
“Can I do anything I want with you

Let's Chat:
Leave me a comment below, I will be stopping by to chat with readers. 

Connect with Meg Lacey:
Website ~ Facebook ~ email


36 comments:

Meg Lacey said...


Hi everyone, I hope some of you will stop by to say hello.

So, what do you like to do when you're taking a day for yourself?

Meg Lacey said...

In this blog, I told you about The Sparrow and The Hawk, my paranormal, but I didn't tell you about my new contemporary romance release, Million Dollar Mistake.

I loved the idea for Million Dollar Mistake, out Oct. 23 from Samhain. It's about a bad girl, the tabloid's darling and the man who is always getting her out of trouble, until he falls into trouble with her himself.

brandi said...

I like to curl up with a good book, a hot drink (tea or cocoa) and my kitty. That way I veg for the day. Wait, I actually did that this past weekend! Good times!

Meg Lacey said...

I agree Brandi. Boy am I glad to hear someone else was vegging over the weekend, since my rainy day extended too.

what do you like to read? And, aren't you the Brandi from the hospitality suite Tuesday night? Or am I braindead?

Linda Henderson said...

The Sparrow and The Hawk and Million Dollar Mistake both sound like great reads. I will be looking for them. It's raining here today too.

Lorna said...

I love to read a good book on a rainy day. If we are at the cabin, I love to read beside the fireplace with a hot chocolate by my side:-)

You mention that you worked in the television industry! What shows did you work on and do you think that helped with your current writing career?

Meg Lacey said...

Thanks Linda, for the comments on the books. I hope you will like them. They are very different sorts of books and my first time writing a paranormal series, and I had a blast.

Million Dollar Mistake was just a lot of fun. I really wanted to deal with 2 romances in that book, with one that was the bad girl and her alpha very very distant cousin who pulled her out trouble. And the other was with a couple who were expected to be together since they were children. Naturally one of them says no.

Meg Lacey said...

Linda, you said it's raining, where do you live?

Meg Lacey said...

Lorna,
I did work in TV. I also worked first as an associate producer for commercials and corporate videos for local Television, and then I started working for some network 'how to' shows on the USA and other networks.

Eventually I started writing segments, as well as art directing and working as a creative director. Then I got this idea for a show about the Romance industry and pitched it to Lifetime. They passed but that's when I decided to start writing romance more seriously. I also sent treatments to HBO and got good response, and I worked in children's tv, after school specials.

My experience in Tv didn't help me as much as my acting training did.

Meg Lacey said...

Lorna, the idea of a cabin, a hot drink and a book sounds fantastic!

brandi said...

Yes, Meg, I am a very avid reader. Sitting with quite a few on my nook and kindle (yes I have both and am a glutton) that are waiting to be read!

Yep that was probably me in the hospitality on tues. I am loving this author chat blog. I am adding so many new authors to my tbr list.

Meg Lacey said...

Anyone else? What do you like to do when you take a ME day?

Meg Lacey said...

Anyone else? What do you like to do when you take a ME day?

Meg Lacey said...

Great, Brandi. I'm glad I did remember you. Avid readers are the best, I'm also one.

This is my first time really taking advantage of chatting and I'm having so much fun and meeting so many new people.

brandi said...

How did you make a turn to do a paranormal romance?

Meg Lacey said...

I know, writing a paranormal romance does come from left field doesn't it?

I had this idea about an agent who worked at an undercover agency dealing with strange events and occurences. At first the story was more of an adventure story, but then romance started creeping in, and then my sense of humor started creeping in, then some horror started creeping in... and when I sent it to some traditional editors, they said, 'what the hell is this', I told them... somehthing I like. Then I found Imajinn Books, which is a small quality house. Linda said, I love that this isn't typical As I'd never really read much paranormal, I wouldn't know typical if I fell over it. But I love gothic, and stories about vampires, etc. so, I guess that's how it happened. :_

Meg Lacey said...

The really fun thing about paranormal is you can indulge in fantasy while grounding in reality. Of course it's a reality I make so I'm probably still in fantasy world.

Story of my life!!!

Lorna said...

Who do you like to read?

Meg Lacey said...

Romance wise: I read Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Carly Phillips, Lori Foster, some Debbie Macomber as she was the one who sent me to Silhouet (sp) who published my first novel, Is There A Husband In the House. Nora Roberts, and others who drop into my lap including my new fav, Karen Robards

I read a lot of thrillers: Lisa Garner, Preston and Shields, Jeffrey Devers, Tami Hogue, Tess Geritsen, J.D. Robb (love Nora's future series).

I also like to read a lot of history, historical fiction. I just finished Phillipa Gregory's new book set during war between the roses. I read a lot of non-fiction, like the new book from the author of Seabiscuit, Laura Hillenbrand,

One of my favorite authors is James Herriot, a country vet in England in the late 1930s and 40,50's

Meg Lacey said...

I forgot to mention, I love Ken Follet's new Century Trilogy, and the new books from the woman who wrote A Discovery of Witches.

calstephanie said...

Hi Meg! Great post. :)

I like to read, hang out with family or friends, and make day trips. It depends on what my mood is for the day. :)

Meg Lacey said...

How about all of you, share your fav. authors and TV shows.

I'm nuts about Revenge, anyone else?

brandi said...

I have been wanting to read and wonder if Discovery of Witches was any good.
What was your take on it?

brandi said...

Last Resort is my new favorite, but I love the Big Bang Theory!!!! Also I make sure that I watch Once Upon a Time.

Meg Lacey said...

I loved Discovery of Witches. there are parts that are a bit slow going but I kept with it. I really liked the story line, the witch and the vampire who are supposed to be enemies but fate takes a hand instead.

I like the way she set up the sequel, which I just read. It takes place is Elizabethan England. It is very atmospheric.

Meg Lacey said...

what is Last Resort?
I agree about The Big Bang Theory, and also The New Normal, which I find hilarious and very touching.

Meg Lacey said...

And yes to Once Upon a Time and Grimm.

brandi said...

Last resort is a military drama from I think NBC. I have to watch on Demand because I don't remember when it is on normally.

Meg Lacey said...

Ah, Last Resort is the show about a submarine, right?

My son-in-law is an officer in the submarine service, on shore duty at the moment.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Hi, Meg! I wholeheartedly embrace your Me Day philosophy. My life isn't as hectic and packed with obligation as many people's, but I do have a part-time day job and a freelance job as well as my writing and my family, so I have work that *has* to be done every single day.

Which means I rebel every few weeks and take a day "off." It's never completely off unless it's my birthday or Mother's Day. Those are sacred. :) But I like to read and watch TV or go to a movie. Boring stuff, but when you can't do it much, it's gold! :)

brandi said...

Yep that's the show and I would like to thank you for upcoming in doing a chat with us is great to talk to you

joder said...

Cloudy and dreary here today too. Thank heavens for books to take me away from it all!

gogi1_2 AT yahoo DOT com

Lorna said...

Favourite shows tend to be comedies. Big Bang, Modern Family, Doc Martin, etc. Favourite authors are Lucy ( of course), Jayne Ann Krentz, and Lori Foster. I like to pick a couple of authors and then read everything they have written. Then I pick a few new authors to try in between the ones I am focused on :-)

Lorna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jan Douglas said...

Reading on a rainy day is my favorite thing to do besides playing with my grandsons.

flchen1 said...

Congrats, Meg, on your title, and yes, celebrating a ME day sounds JUST the thing!!