Thursday, October 11, 2012

Retreat Guest Blogger Jude Urbanski


Jude Urbanski (pen name for Judy Martin-Urban) writes women's fiction featuring strong inspirational romance elements. She invites you to stories of heroes and heroines who turn tragedy into triumph with help from God.
She has been writing in some fashion nearly all her life Jude says. Her mother wrote sweet romances in the 1930's, her daughters write, as do her grandchildren and several other family members. She created bedtime stories for her children and penned others for her grandchildren.

Jude was born in Tennessee but grew up in Indiana. She graduated from Indiana University with a Masters Degree in Nursing. After launching a family of three, she spent years in her beloved nursing career. While on faculty at Indiana University, she was voted teacher of the year, wrote an honors course in oncology nursing and her winning proposal took her to Saudi Arabia for workshops on Stress in Transcultural Nursing. She says, ''I thoroughly enjoyed being a nurse." You'll find her nurse practitioner experience in her latest novel.

First published in non fiction, Jude continues to write in this field also. She is a columnist for Maximum Living, a magazine focusing on spirituality and wellness for women. She has been a blogger for Ellechor Publishing, Hoosier Ink and her own blog. She wrote Health Notes, a column in her church newsletter, for six years.

She is a member of national and area chapters of American Christian Fiction Writers and the National League of American Pen Women. She is current president of her local branch of Pen Women and participates in a local critique group.J

Jude and her husband Conrad live in Indiana and share a blended family of eight children and 19 grandchildren, who live all over the United States


Dude Ranch Summer ~What I Did on my Summer Vacation

“Oh, come on, you two can do it! We’re going to.”

Such encouragement , or should I say, such gentle pressure, from dear friends is what found us working at a delightful Dude Ranch in beautiful Montana one summer. That experience is a memory not easily forgotten.
Realize, we were not your typical summer wranglers. You know, those perky college gals who look good in tight Levis and those fresh-faced lads who have cut their teeth on the saddle horn.

Far from it. In fact, some would have called our foursome, geezer guys and gals. Our friends had been guests at this fancy dude ranch for several years, but it was the first time ‘we professional types’ had done menial work like we did that summer. The guys handled outside work such as slopping the pigs, mending fences, cleaning stalls, and painting. I was dining room hostess, worked split shifts beginning at 6:00 am and ending at 9:00 to 10:00 pm, after evening socials. My counterpart cooked and cooked some more. If we weren’t serving or cooking, we helped clean cabins. We had roughly thirty two new guests each week and had to commit names to memory.

That summer was not for sissies, I can tell you. More than once, we senior citizens laughed and asked what we were doing there and why we weren’t back home playing golf or going to lunch. We broke sweat several times each day. We monitored for bears and forest fires.

But lest I lead you to believe we sorely commiserated all summer, let me tell you about the things taking our breaths away. To start with, the scenery itself was post-card perfect with majestic mountain views, peaceful lakes and crystal-clear, blue skies. The sprawling ranch  nestled in a green valley below Shadow Mountain, a place of spiritual quest for the Crow Indians who used to live in this place. The herd of magnificent horses skittering into the corals each morning reminded me of the old west. Guests were fanciful, interesting as well as sometimes unbelievable; the rich came from near and far. My huge horse Tom carried me along the trails to our Campfire Cookout.

Explorers Lewis and Clark had traveled through Livingston, Montana on their westward journey, camping at the rambunctious Yellowstone River, which flowed right through town. Of course, being the history buff I am, I relished this tidbit. Hollywood saw fit to add to the charm the little town, when Livingston became the location for several movies. I purchased a couple pieces of Montana Silversmith jewelry I absolutely cherish and they keep my summer memories alive.

Oh, another thing I did on this impressive summer adventure was to polish my first manuscript, later published. Life can be an odyssey.



19 comments:

brandi said...

Sounds like an long background of writing in your family. Is that why you got into writing?

jude urbanski said...

Brandi, it is more than a little amazing and it has to be a 'gene' I'm convinced.

My mother would have been published (via a vanity press)if she'd had money in the depression. My daughter, my grandson are published and so many others write!

It was in my blood early on is all that I can say.

Thanks for the visit and enjoy the retreat.

jude urbanski said...

Brandi, it is more than a little amazing and it has to be a 'gene' I'm convinced.

My mother would have been published (via a vanity press)if she'd had money in the depression. My daughter, my grandson are published and so many others write!

It was in my blood early on is all that I can say.

Thanks for the visit and enjoy the retreat.

Lucy Monroe said...

Lovely blog, Jude!

Around here, we say it's in the water...the rain water that is. What better weather for the profession of writing than lots and lots of rain. Keeps you indoors and what else would you be doing? :) But the number of bestselling authors, not to mention midlist and aspiring authors in Oregon and Washington is a per capita record. :)

I'd like to think I passed it through the genes to my daughter the fashion journalist though. :)

Beth Reimer said...

Jude
Awesome a family of writers.
My mother is a big reader and all of us inherited that gift. My daughter struggled with dyslexia and what a thought that she wasn't enjoying reading. She has over come the disability and is now in honor classes and advanced placement classes but what a long road.
Beth

debraaparmley said...

Hi Jude!

Tell us about your latest book, Nurtured in Purple.
(I love the colors on your cover. Just beautiful.)

Hugs,

Debra

calstephanie said...

Great blog post Jude! :)

jude urbanski said...

Lucy, like those thoughts about rain and that statistic is interesting also!

jude urbanski said...

Beth, good for your daughter! Our kids do pick up what we do, but my son didn't start devouring books until he was way grown!

jude urbanski said...

Response to Debra- Nurtured in Purple is book two in the Chanute Chronicles series and deals with a hero and heroine who are slammed up against the proverbial brick wall before they find real meaning in their lives.

I took the cover photo and 'purple' is a take off of our being royalty to God and clothed in the color of kings.

jude urbanski said...

CalStephanie, glad you dropped by today.

Judy said...

Loved reading about your dude ranch experience. Would you do it again? :-)

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I latched on to the family connection, too. How awesome that your mother was writing romances that long ago! :) My mother was a writer, and my oldest daughter is, too. She finished her first novel at 14, so she had a big head start on me. :)

You make me want to go to a dude ranch! I'll be a guest, though. Forget cleaning! :(

robertsonreads said...

Hi Jude,
Wow, you done & seen a lot, which I imagine gives you great background with your books. And, you have a big family, which must be entertaining too. I'm one of 7 kids, and it can be crazy sometimes. You are a new author to me, which is awesome! I love meeting new authors.
Thank you for spending time with us at the ORR, it is greatly appreciated.
Ginger

joder said...

That's a fun and exciting vacation you had and I'm sure it provided lots of writing fodder. Cowboys are definitely sexy and it's too bad I didn't appreciate them more as I grew up on the farm. Thanks for being here today!

gogi1_2 AT yahoo DOT com

Shadow said...

Thats awesome! Im glad that you and your family share such a passion for it.

Linda Henderson said...

Writing is definitely in your blood, or water as Lucy says. The dude ranch sounds like hard work but fun.

Debby said...

I would love to read a book set at a dude ranch. I used to go to a dude ranch all the time.

flchen1 said...

Life IS an odyssey! Thanks for the neat post, Judy!