Thursday, October 11, 2012

Retreat Guest Blogger Ann Harrison

Connect with Ann
Website ~ Facebook ~ goodreads
Ann swears she was born with a book in her hand and has never put it down. A lifelong love of reading has finally culminated in achieving her dream of writing…and publication.

She lives in the middle of the desert in Australia in a small mining town with her own handsome hero of many years. Ann has always loved the ups and downs of life in small communities and she shares this with readers in her rural romances.




Which hat do you wear?
I get asked this quite often because I write different genres and not everyone agrees that it is a good thing.
When I first started writing it was Young Adult. The books almost wrote themselves, they were bursting to get out and I often wonder why I waited so long to get started.

Only problem was, nobody except me liked them. Not in the publishing trade anyway.
'You have a great voice and we like your work but, no thanks.'

Witchling, Book one of Curse of Kin was put away and I bemoaned my unloved manuscript.

Not one to give up, I thought I would try my voice with Romance novels instead. No problem, two rural romances were soon ready for submission.

'Sorry, we like your voice but no thanks.'

I was ready to grab a tub of ice cream and sit in the corner by myself. If I couldn't write Young Adult or Romance, what was I going to do?

Lady luck was on my side. That and my never say die attitude.

Buy the book 
I found out why publishers were saying no and with a little help from a freelance editor, Annie Seaton, my first book Taming the Outback was ready to submit again.

How wonderful it was to start getting offers instead of rejections. Within two days I had three contracts sitting on my desk. I thought I had found my niche and my little heart was soothed. Taming the Outback is out now and Mistress for Magnus is out 29th September.

I couldn't help but wonder if there was any hope for my Young Adult books. I had put so much into them and had the first three books written. Me being me I refused to give up hope. I had them evaluated by an editor that does a lot of work in this genre and she loved them. I was a little bit staggered.

Should I write both, could I write both?

I gave it a lot of thought and talked it over with a few different people. Everyone has their own take on this. There are a lot of authors writing cross genres now and doing well. I subbed Witchling again and also book two in the series, Changling. Both are due out before Christmas.

There was one more genre I wanted to try. Erotic Romance. Nothing tacky or gross, just very sexy books. I liked reading them, why shouldn't I write them? Irish Seduction was subbed a couple of weeks ago and picked up.

I think that three hats is enough for now, don't you think?

Hang on, there is that story I started writing for my granddaughter. I wonder if I should finish that? That would be middle grade I think.

And then there is that one about the young boy that ...........

Let's Chat:










24 comments:

calstephanie said...

Hi Ann! Your books sound great. Going to add them to my TBR list.

I like books based in Australia because it's my dream trip. I can't wait to go there!

Sia said...

Hi Ann!
I think it's great how you manage your different hats! :-) what's your work process like when you write your books? How is it to switch between different genres?

brandi said...

Your books definitely have me intrigued. They will be going on my list of TBRs.

Oh man is that list getting long. ;)

Lorna said...

I can't wait to read some of your work! I'm impressed with your ability to cover so many age groups. To be able to connect with different age groups and interests really says a lot about you as a person.

Do you set all of your novels in Australia? That is one place I would LOVE to visit!

Ann Harrison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann Harrison said...

Thanks Sia, when I change genres I just need to step away from my computer for half an hour and then I'm good to go. Reading through my last couple of pages always helps too.
I know what you mean Brandi about long TBR lists. Mine is huge, over 300 books on my Kindle, I cant help myself but get little time to read. Soon though.

Ann Harrison said...

Lorna, hi. No I don't set all my books in Australia. My first two rural romances are set here because I know the country and grew up on farms here. My first YA series is set in Ireland and I've never been so google earth is my friend. Also helps that I have an Irish girlfriend.

Jamie Leigh Hansen said...

Hi Ann :) I loved hearing about your decision to write so many genres. Do you have different names for each? Congratulations on accomplishing so much!

Efthalia Pegios said...

Hi Ann,

Looking forward to reading it and I totally understand your huge TBR pile. Mine is the same.

We will get there.

Smiles.

Jamie Leigh Hansen said...

Hi Ann :) I loved hearing about your decision to write so many genres. Do you have different names for each? Congratulations on accomplishing so much!

tricia cornwall said...

I have read Ann`s books, I have loved them all and am waiting excitedly to read her young adult series released later this year. Keep writing Ann, I can`t wait for what`s to come.

Ann Harrison said...

Thanks Tricia, its always great to hear what people think of my books.
I'm glad I'm not the only book hoarder Efthalia. Can't help myself though.
Jamie Leigh, I write YA and Middle grade under the name Ari Harper. All of my romance books under Ann B Harrison

Elf2060 said...

Wonderful to read about your journey and to see how important perseverance is. Thank you for sharing.

brandi said...

we won't go into how many books I have on my kindle unread. might just hurt my mind.

Ann, How do you keep things seperated for the different genres? Do you just focus on one at a time?

Shadow said...

Hi! Its great meeting you! I think its great that you write so many different things. Cant wait to read your books! Thanks!
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

Annie Seaton said...

I loved editing Taming the Outback for Ann...she has a wonderful voice. Mistress for Magnus is on my TBR pile which is teetering if kindles can teeter!
I just can't wait to see Witchling in print. It has the most amazing cover!
Good luck, Ann. I am so happy for you and I admire your skill to write for so many age groups!

Ann Harrison said...

Brandi, I honestly don't know. I have voices in my head all the time and they do get mixed up. I find if I take a breather, a walk in the garden or a cuppa away from my computer and then read the last couple of pages of whatever I want to work on I can set my mind in that story. I can do different genres all day, swapping between them. I love to be busy and that probably helps.

joder said...

I love when authors branch out into other genres. Why not spread your creative wings? I think it makes for a more well-rounded author. I'm currently reading your book Taming the Outback and enjoying it.

gogi1_2 AT yahoo DOT com

Ann Harrison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann Harrison said...

Thank you Joder. Glad you are enjoying it. If you like that you will love Mistress for Magnus.

Ann Harrison said...

Thanks Annie, love my Aussie editor

Linda Henderson said...

I read a lot of different genres so I don't think it's unusual for a writer to write more than one. It seems to be happening quite a bit these days. Since YA has become so popular a lot of authors have jumped on that bandwagon. I'm 60 and I enjoy reading some YA authors.

Debby said...

Offers have to be better than rejection. Congrats on your books.

flchen1 said...

How neat, Ann! I think it's great that you write in more than one genre--I love to read in more than one, so that works out just perfect ;)