Friday, October 26, 2012

Holiday Reads - Week 1


As we eagerly await the December 4th eBook only release of Silver Bella (I certainly hope you're all as eager for this book's release as I am ::smiles::), I'll be posting weekly blogs with some recommended holiday reading.  Because I love a good Christmas story...or New Years story...or Thanksgiving story...or Valentine story for that matter.

Buy the Book
Pretty much any holiday story has that extra bit of sentiment that makes it special for me. :)

Personally, I love writing Christmas themed stories.  Silver Bella was one of my earliest and released in print in a six author anthology that sold very well, but went out of print within a year.  So, I'm VERY happy it's going to be released as a stand alone eBook by Samhain.


Another delicious stand alone Christmas story, is the award winning Jami Davenport's Love at First Snow - a novella packed with holiday sentiment and heart warming romance.

Four years ago, NHL defenseman Blake Daniels lost his entire family in a floatplane crash. This Christmas a snowstorm and a small gray kitten will lead him to life, love and a whole new shot at happiness.

Some of  my favorite holiday reads are the anthologies.

I discovered Linda Howard reading a Mother's Day anthology many moons ago.  I've had so many hours of reading and re-reading pleasure with her since, that anthology will forever be one of my favorite books. :)  Harlequin has re-released her story along with two others in the A Mother's Touch anthology.

Another wonderful anthology, this one Christmas themed, is Holiday Magic: The Gift of Love by Laurie Ryan and Lavada Dee.

It's your turn.  What is your favorite holiday themed story or anthology?  What authors have you found picking up a holiday story you wouldn't have read otherwise?

16 comments:

Mary Preston said...

I don't have an absolute favorite. I find that if it has a Christmas theme I'm in. (A pretty cover helps.)

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Judy said...

My absolute favorite is the anthology Regency "Mistletoe Kisses" with stories by Elizabeth Rolls, Diane Gaston, and Deborah Hale.

Jami Davenport said...

Thanks for including my book, Lucy. I am just getting into the holiday reading spirit, and I read Ho Humbug Ho by Kate Angell. It was a fun read with entertaining characters.

Angela Ingham said...

A Christmas affair by Carole Mortimer

i first read it years ago and still read it at least once a year.

i've just bought love at first snow to give it a try!

Angie Malone said...

I LOVE Twas the Night by Sandra Hill, Kate Holmes and Trish Jensen. It is the story of three friends who find true love on the ride home to their mentor's wedding. Each author writes about each couple and their stories are told a chapter at a time. I will be reading it the day after Thanksgiving!

Beth said...

Christmas Chritine Feehan

Beth said...

Christmas Chritine Feehan

robertsonreads said...

I'm with Jami, as I enjoyed Kate Angell's Ho Humbug Ho, which was about Alex and Holly's story. Wonderful characters.

Ginger

Laurie Ryan said...

Thanks so much for listing Holiday Magic on your blog, Lucy. I've just picked up Jami's book, but have not heard of this one by Linda Howard. It looks heart-warming and emotional. Just the kind of story I like. :)

Gail Harkins said...

My all time favorite is "Winter Solstice" by Rosamunde Pilchner. She expertly weaves the stories of three generations of loosely related family and acquaintances into a warm and cosy story that moves from London to a tiny village in northern Scotland. For me, the crux of the story takes place in and around that snow-bound village on the coast, culminating on Christmas Eve. Pilchner is a master story-teller.

Gail Harkins said...

My all time favorite is "Winter Solstice" by Rosamunde Pilchner. She expertly weaves the stories of three generations of loosely related family and acquaintances into a warm and cosy story that moves from London to a tiny village in northern Scotland. For me, the crux of the story takes place in and around that snow-bound village on the coast, culminating on Christmas Eve. Pilchner is a master story-teller.

Lavada Dee said...

I love the Christmas season and no matter how busy always, always, always make time to read. But I don't have a favorite.

And, Thank you for including Holiday Magic. I had so much fun working with Laurie to do an anthology.

lorimeehan said...

I love holiday themed books. I can't say I have a favorite one but I just finished Hunk for the Holiday by Katie Lane and loved it.
Lucy I can't wit to read yours.

Valerie said...

I don't have a favorite. I loved Silver Bella when it came out. I'm pretty sure I still have my copy in storage. Cause I'm a pack rat! :)

Valerie said...

And speaking of Linda Howard's Mother's Day book...I love Anna and Saxon and I've re-read them umpteen times! She's another keeper on my shelf. I'm going to have to check out some more Christmas stories this season.

Lucy Monroe said...

Thank you so much for sharing your fave books. Some have ended up in future posts for holiday themed romance. :) Hugs! (And Valerie, couldn't you just re-read Anna and Saxon's story right now? Happy sigh. Love that book!)