Friday, August 10, 2012

Guest Blog - Donna Grant

Welcome Donna!  Thanks for being my guest today. 


Highlanders

Hmm…Highlanders.  Just saying the word makes me envision muscular, alpha men who are bold and daring.  Seductive and tempting.  Rugged and roguish.   Dangerous and desirable.

What makes Highlanders so very. . . enticing?  For me, it’s part of the people they were/are.  They are one with their land, as few are.  Their love of Scotland runs deep in their blood as is seen by their bloody – and very violent – history defending it.

Yet it’s also because there is something amazingly appealing about a man in a kilt.  Maybe it’s a getting to see those muscular legs or knowing what they are – or aren’t, as the case goes – wearing beneath those tartans. 

But I think its because there’s a look a Highlander has that says he’s reckless enough and strong enough for whatever comes his way.  Whether it’s defending their land or the ones they love, Highlanders are the essence of everything a champion embodies.  And everything I love to read about in a book.

There’s nothing I love more than a brawny man in a kilt with a sword ready to defend what is his.

What is it that appeals to you about Highlanders?
I’ll be giving away a copy of the sixth book in my Dark Sword series, DARKEST HIGHLANDER to a commenter.  So talk to me. 

Look for my recent release (July 31st), the first book in the Dark Kings series (a spin off of the Dark Warriors series), DARK CRAVING. 

Fueled by ancient magic – and enflamed by human desire – the Dragon King known as Hal can transform himself at will into one of the legendary winged creatures he is sworn to protect.  But one thing he can never do is fall in love…with a mortal woman.

Searching for her brother in Scotland – and succumbing to the freezing cold – Cassie Hunter awakens to find herself in the arms of a magnificent Highland warrior.  Across his chest is a tattoo of a fiery dragon.  And in his heart is a burning passion that, once unleashed, will consume them both…body and soul.

This is a story of destiny and desire, magic and mystery, warriors and lovers.
These are the forbidden cravings of the Dark Kings.


To find out more about me, read excerpts, see wallpapers of the Warriors, search characters, or watch book trailers please visit my website at www.DonnaGrant.com

Hugs,
D

27 comments:

marybelle said...

Highlanders are fiercely loyal, heroic, stubborn, opinionated & the kilt doesn't hurt either.

Lucy Monroe said...

LOL Marybelle...couldn't have said it better myself! Thanks so much for stopping by, Donna. Your books are amazing and I'm thrilled you took to the time to share a little with readers here. :)

Hugs,
Lucy

Booksilly said...

I absolutely love Highlanders!!!!!! They are sexist men around! Thank you for taking the time to share with us!

RowenaMayWrites said...

I especially love them in Kilts. Strong rugged types with tough exteriors and gentle hearts!

pamela batchelor said...

I am all about a man in a kilt!! I'll be honest, I haven't read any of the books yet- but you've definately caught my attention!!! I can only hope the first few are available for the Nook so that I have quicker access to them!!

Thanks for hooking me!!!

Pam Batchelor

Raonaid Luckwell said...

Appeal of Highlanders - where they grew up, the world around them has shaped them. Family and friends mean something (which is lacking now a days). And well seeing all that brawn in a kilt (YUM) and have them whisper naughty Gaelic words.. Oh yeah.. sexy accent.


Mmm, Donna knows how much I love her. She gives me the elements that not too many authors write about. Dragons and Druids.

Her druids - and I am a tough judge when it comes to druids - are postively brilliant! I have gone on and on to my one friend about her druids.

And I love being one of her Dolls and Ambassador. * Smooches *

Heather said...

I love highlanders. Anything highlander does it for me :)

heatherlire@gmail.com

mrswright82 said...

Nothing like a strong man in a kilt! Now that is a man who knows who and what he is...doesn't matter that he is wearing what most would call a skirt....nothing better to me then that! :)

Fannie said...

I also love Hilanders. There is just something about a man in a kilt. I always wonder what's underneath LOL

Ellen Thompson said...

I love Highlanders! When I think of Highlanders I think of big, strong men with lots of muscles. I'm kinda partial to the kilts and the accent.

robertsonreads said...

I love seeing a man who is comfortable enough with himself to wear a kilt and man enough to get the job done. Thank you for stopping by, allowing us to have a glimpse into your world and thoughts.

Dragon Momma said...

Highlanders are ancestors for me, so that is a huge draw. And NOTHING beats a man in a kilt!!!

Yup, my family hailed from Inverness. ;)

Stacy Wilson

dragn_lady at yahoo dot com

Betty Hamilton said...

I adore Highlanders!! ..and the more I read about them the more I love them! AND.. like so many others... I Love the Kilt!!

Lorna said...

Ok, I'm not a fan of the kilt, but I do love a strong and passionate alpha male :-)

Probably a silly question, but how did you come to the decision to use Highlanders as you characters?

colodreamer said...

Dragon tattoo and a kilt, what more could you ask for? Did you travel to get any info for your book?

colodreamer said...

Dragon tattoo and a kilt, what more could you ask for? Did you travel to get any info for your book?

Ambersc said...

Highlanders are so very sexy, every woman wants a sexy protective intelligent man.

Ambersc said...

Highlanders are so very sexy, every woman wants a sexy protective intelligent man.

Paula A said...

The best stories have a sexy Highlander in it. Throw in a little magic and you are talking.

catslady said...

I'm thinking I must have been Scottish in another lifetime - Highlander books call to me more than any other kind!! Kilts, swords, and accents (sigh).

catslady5(at)aol.com

Donna Grant said...

Marybelle - lol. The kilt is awesome!

Lucy - thanks for having me again, sweetie!

Booksilly - I couldn't agree more! :D

Rowena - oh, yes! lol

Pamela - Lovely to hear! And yes, they're on the Nook.

Rao - Hey, sweetie!

Heather - me, too! lol

MrsWright - I agree. My hubby and my 10 yo son have kilts and wear them at our Ren Faire. :)

Fannie - lol. Nothing is underneath. ;)

Ellen - I was in Scotland last year and didn't want to leave!

RobertsonReads - Thank you!

Dragon Mamma - Yay!!

Betty - :) Whohoo!

Lorna - I've always been partial to anything in Scotland. My favorite time period to write is Medieval, so when the series came to me, it was just natural to have the heroes be Highlanders.

colodreamer - Actually, when we were in Scotland last year, we visited the a scotch distillery, which is the basis for Dreagan Scotch in the series.

ambersc - I know I do. :)

Paula - a girl after my own heart. ;)

catslady - you and me both! lol

infinitieh said...

Ah, Scotland... highlanders, kilts, and that adorable accent!

Frankly, I'm a sucker for cute knees. ;)

cgnemesis [at] yahoo [dot] com

Chrisbails said...

Love highlander. They are sexy, very alpha males, fighter & protectors, love the accents, and love to see a man in a kilt. Thanks for the great giveaway.
Christinebails@yahoo.com

Julie said...

The loyalty. The weaponry skills. The brogue. The kilt! I could go on and on. ;)

Julie said...

The loyalty. The weaponry skills. The brogue. The kilt! I could go on and on. ;)

Donna Grant said...

infinitieh - lol. Love it!

Christine - thanks!

Julie - :) I know!

SusanR said...

I think highlanders are so very sexy along with being very down to earth. Great combo!

Susanmik AT gmail DOT com