Friday, May 18, 2012

Guest Interview -- Jami Davenport


Jami Davenport has been writing since she was old enough to know the alphabet. An advocate of happy endings, Jami writes sexy romantic comedy, sports hero romances, and equestrian fiction. Jami lives on a small farm near Puget Sound with her husband, a former Green Beret turned plumber, a Newfoundland cross with a tennis ball fetish, a prince disguised as an orange tabby cat, and an opinionated Hanoverian mare.

She works in IT for her day job and is a former high school business teacher. In her spare time, Jami rides and shows her dressage horse and grows roses. An avid boater, Jami has spent countless hours in the San Juan Islands, the setting for her first two books. In her opinion, it is the most beautiful place on earth.

How did you get started writing romance?
The first romance novel I can remember reading was Danielle Steele's The Promise. I loved that story. From that moment on, I was hooked on romance novels. I’d written most of my life, just not necessarily romance. I shifted to writing romance and have been dabbling in it ever since. A few years ago I started writing for publication.

Why did you decide to participate in Lucy’s Reader Fitness Challenge?
I used to be one of those people who never put on a pound no matter how much I ate. But over the past four years, I've gained close to 40 pounds. I've gone from a size 6 to a size 12. While I don't expect to be a size 6 again, I'd like to be a size 8 by the end of this year. When Lucy mentioned her fitness challenge, I was all over it. I’m competitive, and I’m better under pressure, so it was a win-win for me.

What do you like to do in your free time?  
Free time? What free time? Seriously, I work a full-time job and then some, write on nights and weekends, and still try to have a life.

If you'd asked me this question a year ago, you would've gotten a completely different answer. Ever since I was a senior in high school, I've ridden horses. For the past twenty some years, I rode and competed in dressage. Last year, my show horse was no longer rideable. After leasing another horse for a few months, I came to the conclusion that my heart really wasn't into showing horses anymore. I no longer have a riding horse, and I haven't ridden in over six months. It's been a big adjustment, but I have more time for writing and more money for fun stuff. I do miss it, but not enough to give up everything else to do it again. So for now, I spend my spare time working on a few different writing projects, and I'm focusing on getting our large yard and acreage in better shape. I still own a horse, but she’s being leased out right now as a broodmare.

What’s your most recent release?
Fourth and Goal was released last May. I'd planned on having the sequel, Forward Passes, published this spring. So far, that hasn't happened. The publisher of F&G didn't pick up the second book, Forward Passes, because it wasn't erotic enough, and I decided not to make it more erotic. It’s just not the direction I want to go with it.
I've been searching for a good publisher for the sequel ever since. Currently, it’s under consideration with a few high-quality digital-first publishers. I'm also toying with self-publishing it myself later this summer, if I can’t get just the right publisher to do it justice.

In the meantime, I'm in an anthology with Cassandra Carr and Cristal Ryder which will be released on June 29. I wrote two short stories for that anthology, both heroes are football players. I love sports heroes and they sell well so why stop writing them. I'm also self-publishing Fourth and Goal in trade paperback this summer and participating in a sports hero romance anthology due out later in the fall. So I’m definitely keeping busy.

What are you working on right now?
I enrolled in a Lori Wilde mentoring class last month. I've learned so much from this class, that I'm going through Forward Passes one more time and making changes based on what I learned in Lori's class. I'm also working on the first draft for my small-town series in Lori’s class. The first book is about a wounded warrior and his best friend's widow. Lastly, I started the third book in this Seattle Lumberjacks series. I love this hero, and I think you will, too.


Thanks Jami for stopping by today with such a great interview!  I know my readers will enjoy your comments.  Sounds like you have lots of things you enjoy in your free time, but like most of us, you don't have much.  Reader's it is your turn.  What things would you do in your free time if you had more of it?








4 comments:

marybelle said...

I'd like to knit more, & of course, read more.

Jami Davenport said...

Lucy, Thanks for having me here today. Good morning, everyone!

Chantilly White said...

Fun interview, Jami! I didn't realize you'd given up having riding horses, but I'm glad you've got more time for other things to keep you happy. I'm looking forward to your upcoming releases!!

All the best,
Chantilly White

Carol L. said...

Great interview. For me more time to learn how to play the piano.
Carol L
Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com