Monday, April 02, 2012

Starting Strong...Staying Strong


Back when I came up with my Reader Fitness Challenge idea, I shared with you all that I wanted to do it for two reasons.

1.  I always want to share my blessings and that included the amazing transformation to my quality of life via my attempts at a healthier lifestyle.

2.  I knew that once the Hillsboro Fitness Challenge was over, I'd need something to continue to keep me motivated as I did not want to lose steam.

So, the Lucy Monroe Reader Fitness Challenge was born.  And can I just say that I've been blown away by the response?  With over 70 entrants from the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, I'm thrilled to say, the RFC is starting strong!  And we're going to stay strong.

But what does that mean?  Is it all about losing mass amounts of weight and dropping multiple dress sizes?  No.  Really, it's not.  Oh, I want to drop the dress sizes, no doubt about it.  And I've got nearly 100 lbs to lose to reach my initial goal weight and get my BMI just into the healthy range (I'm over 30% of the way there - yahoo!).  But I want more than that.  I want to be healthy.  Mentally.  Physically.  Emotionally.  Spiritually.

That means not just having self-discipline to turn down a Krispy Kreme doughnut, but having the mental discipline to eject negative thoughts telling me I won't succeed, or my efforts aren't making a difference.  It means believing in myself and my ability to get healthy in a way I haven't in a long time.  It means giving myself the gift of time to exercise - even if it happens late in the evening when I'd rather be snuggled on the couch reading.  It also, for me, means taking time to pray and meditate on not only my health, but about what I can do with my health.

We are in this together and we have started strong...let's stay strong.  Stay committed to tracking not only our progress, but our daily eating and exercise habits.  Stay committed to each other.  Encourage one another, be there for each other as each phase of this journey toward health takes us further down this wonderful and adventurous path!

Hugs and happy healthy endeavors,
Lucy

6 comments:

marybelle said...

It's such a worthwhile endeavour.

Carol L. said...

Lucy, Congrats on all your achievements so far. What a wonderful success you will have at the end between the weight lose and ability to know you and you alone did it even with support of friends and family. Good luck. :)
Carol L
Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

Judy said...

Awesome, Lucy! Go you! I'm discovering that the first thing I have to do is convince myself I don't have to hide behind my weight.

Laney4 said...

Way to go!

Lucy Monroe said...

Thanks everyone! ~ Judy...that's a problem for a lot of us. And for me, I particularly struggled with the belief that since I come from an obese family, I had no choice but to be overweight. When the truth is - I am the ONLY one who can make *that* choice. :)

Debra said...

Love that you consider exercise a gift to give yourself. It really is and we are all worth at least 20 minutes a day. And I find some of my best ideas come when I'm working out.