Friday, April 27, 2012

Guest Blogger - Bronwen Evans

Welcome Bron to my blog!  I'm excited that you have agreed to come back and blog with me.  Thank you for being a Team Captain in my Reader Fitness Challenge.  Your team is doing great!


About Bron - After spending years working in the finance industry she was determined to have her own business. She set up a successful e-commerce business and sold it in 2005. But even that didn’t fulfill her. It wasn’t until a critically ill friend told her to follow her dreams; she took the plunge into the world of writing historical romance. Finally she’d found a job which wasn’t in fact a job, it has become a passion. Writing romance was as much fun as reading them.  Her debut regency romance, Invitation to Ruin, was a nominee for Best First Historical in the RT Reviewers’ Chocie Awards 2011. When she isn’t writing, Bron stays busy working part-time as CEO of a surgical association in New Zealand. 


Hi, Everyone!  Thanks for having me on your blog today, Lucy!

I’m really happy to be here to chat with your readers because I’m one of Lucy’s team leaders on her fitness challenge and I have to say I’m loving every minute of it!  

My eating is changing so much. I’m actually thinking about what I put in my mouth.  I try not to eat processed foods and avoid those foods high in carbohydrates and fat, such as my normal cakes and biscuits. 

This focus on diet made me think about the size of the ladies in the Regency era (the period I write in). Ladies were generally shorter and plumper. Working class woman would have been lean (not enough food and probably prone it illnesses), and fit due to the hard life they lived. Ladies of the ton wouldn’t have done much exercise, except perhaps horse riding and walking in the park, but they probably didn’t have so much refined or processed foods either. It also helped that the plump, fuller figure was admired. Sigh – I still wouldn’t have wished to have lived during that time. 

Rheda Kerrich, the heroine in my new release out on 1 May, INVITATION TO SCANDAL, the second book in my Regency series, Invitation to… is definitely not fat. She’s slightly unconventional in that she wants to start a horse stud—breeding horses for the cavalry. All she needs is a stallion, but she can’t afford the stud fess.  Then the gorgeous Rufus Knight, Viscount Strathmore comes to town with his thoroughbred stallion and if [CLUE TWO: IS] Rheda could only find a way to ‘borrow’ Caesar for the night, her mares would be very happy. 

Her secrets are coming undone...

Plagued by scandalous rumors, Rheda Kerrich will stop at nothing to restore her reputation and make an honest living for herself-and she's determined to do it without a husband. But times are hard, and smuggling is a risky though profitable trade. So when a dashing agent for the English government catches her in the act, she desperately resists his charms and conceals her illicit profession. Until she realizes he may be the key to her ultimate freedom-and unbridled passion.

Rufus Knight, Viscount Strathmore, has never had trouble beguiling the ladies of Kent. When his search for "Dark Shadow," a cunningly elusive smuggler, leads him to alluring and headstrong Rhe, her objections to his amorous advances merely incite a tantalizing game of cat and mouse. Soon, they'll find the very secrets driving them apart could ensnare them in a love they can't escape…
I’m giving away a copy of INVITATION TO SCANDAL to one lucky commenter today. Simply tell me a good idea that helps me with my fitness challenge.

I’ve just started my Invitation to Romance Blog Tour. Find out how to win the INVITATION TO ROMANCE Book Tour Grand Prize of a $200 Gift Card from Amazon or B&N PLUS 30+ ‘signed by the author’ romance novels by visiting www.bronwenevans.com

There will be a one WORD hidden in each blog post [WHO] in brackets (the word 'WHO' is the first clue from Shana Galen’s post on 26th April). There are 30 words altogether. These words will spell a paragraph related to Bron's 1 May release INVITATION TO SCANDAL.

Connect with Bronwen:

18 comments:

Lucy's Promo said...

Sorry about that - Blogger updated their layout and I forgot to allow comments. Thanks Bron for letting me know!

Bron said...

Hi Lucy

Thanks for having me. Not a problem - one commenter will win a copy of Invitation to Scandal - not sure if that was on the original post.

Diane D - Florida said...

Hi Lucy and Bronwen,

I'm glad that you've now fixed the comment form.

I would suggest staying away from all fatty food, chocolate, sweets and cake and biscuits. LOL. I would also suggest that you try and walk about half an hour a day and try and work up a sweat as you walk.

I'm keeping my fingers and everything else crossed about this contest. I'm dying to read "Invitation To Scandal".

dpd333 (at) aol dot com

chey said...

It's hard, isn't it, trying to avoid processed foods?
Invitation To Scandal sounds great!
chey127 at hotmail dot com

Tina said...

Hi Bron, Congrats on your upcoming release, I can't wait to read it. I would say one of the best thing to do for dieting is drink plenty of water, especially before meals to fill you so you will eat less. Try to walk everyday even if it a short distance, it's still better than not walking at all. My best to all of you in your fitness challenge.
purpleunicorn19(at)yahoo(dot)com

marybelle said...

I always believe that moderation is key.

Penfield said...

Congratulations on your new release. Don't totally revamp your eating habits or it feels too much like a diet. As someone else said, eat in moderation. For example, if you like potato chips, buy the small bag, so you don't overindulge.

penfield716(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

Bron said...

Thanks for all the well wishes. I totally agree about eating - small portions and right foods! Plus do some exercise!

regencygirl01 said...

Can't wait to read your book Bronwen. Sounds great.

Mary D said...

I agree moderation is the key to weight loss. I really like the sound of your new book Bronwen and what a great giveaway.

gatormaryd(at)yahoo(dot)com

bas1chs said...

Bronwen, the male model on your cover it gorgeous. Yes I judge books by their covers and I know I want to read this one!

bas1chsemail at gmail dot com

Artemis said...

I've always hated the word "diet". To me that is a F-O-U-R letter word and not allowed in my vocabulary. It's all about moderation in everything: food, exercise, etc. But it's so hard. I prefer to think of myself as a Regency era lady - plump but not short - LOL! I congratulate all of you Ladies on your hard work with the Fitness Challenge.

cindersmaria AT gmail DOT com

mcv said...

When I'm trying to lose weight it helps to have a friend trying to lose weight at the same time.
I also go to Weight Watchers. Just have to do the weekly weigh-in keeps me in line!

Eli Yanti said...

Hi Bronwen,

congrats on release and really a great tour :)

eli_y83@yahoo.com

booklover0226 said...

I've added Invitation To Scandal to my must have list; it sounds like a great read.

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Bron said...

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments. I hope you enjoy my Invitation to Romance blog tour. Thanks to Lucy for having me. I have to draw a winner now!

Jeanne M said...

Bronwen -

I just realized that I had missed this post! Our computer did a deep six and we've been borrowing one of my son's computers so we don't lose track of the world happenings - most important to me visiting all your posts!

Congratulations on another great interview - sorry I couldn't visit here sooner!

Teresa said...

Congrats on your latest release! I can't wait to read it. Thanks!

teresajb (at) swbell (dot) net