Friday, April 06, 2012

Guest Blog - Debra Parmley

Thank you Debra Parmley for guest blogging with me today.  I'm so excited to have share about your latest book and super excited that you have agreed to be one of the Team Captains for the Reader Fitness Challenge!  I know my readers will love your book and the great interview you gave below. 

Lucy, thank you for having me on your blog today! I'm excited about the chance to share my newest book with your readers and I am looking forward to meeting readers both here and in your Readers Fitness Challenge! What a fun way to pull together for better health, while sharing our common love of books. 
 
1.  What is your favorite thing to do when you are not writing?
As a Gemini, I will never be able to choose just one favorite thing.  I read constantly, love to travel (which I was able to fully indulge in when I worked as a travel consultant) and have set foot in thirteen countries, love to dance and to visit museums and gardens and I enjoy movies, swinging on swings and wiggling my toes in the sand. (Sometimes it is the little things.)  

2.  What books are sitting in your TBR pile right now?  What book are you currently reading?
 The top three books sitting in my to be read pile on my bedside table are, The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver, The Kindness of Strangers by Katrina Kittle and The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman. I usually have more than one book I am currently reading and they live in different parts of the house. On my bedside table, the book I am reading is A Life Worth Breathing by Max Strom. In the living room I am reading Scottish Ghost Stories by James Robertson, a wee book I picked up in Scotland some years ago. It must be the living room book because I cannot read ghost stories just before going to sleep. My dream life is much too vivid for that, so I need a quieter sort of book before drifting off to dreamland.

3.  Please, share something you found most interesting or fun that you did to research for a book.
Last summer when researching black powder guns I had the opportunity to shoot several different types of guns and a rifle. There is nothing like being down in Mississippi in the mid day summer heat shooting black powder guns with the smoke and the sound and the feel of the gun in your hand. I went home and completely rewrote the gunfight scenes for Dangerous Ties. 
 
4.  How did you come up with names and plot for Dangerous Ties?
The plot for Dangerous Ties arose from the initial scene I saw in my minds eye of the heroine strung up over a mineshaft and the rope was breaking. I wanted to know who had done this to her and why? Around the same time I had been reading an article about banks in the Wild West. In the Wild West banks often created their own bank notes and in some cases they weren't worth the paper they were printed on. Without the gold to hold their worth, what happened to the townsfolk in Dangerous Ties could easily have happened. There was no one to step in and save them if the banker took off with their money. Lillian's name came to me immediately when I first saw her and the moment I saw Nick riding down toward her, I knew his as well. For me, every story starts with that first scene and grows from there and always starts with the heroine. Dangerous Ties unfolded for me in an organic way, without having to look for names, or occupations, or setting. I wish all the stories I write would converge these elements as smoothly.  
 
5.  Action adventure or romantic comedy?  What is your favorite movie lately? 
I like action adventure and romantic comedy. With recent movies I tend to lag behind because we go to the local $2.50 movie theater more than any of the others. I'm blessed to have that option in this economy. The most recent ones I've seen are The Muppets, Puss in Boots, and the New Sherlock Holmes movie. All of which were good. 

6. What made you decide to be part of the Reader Fitness Challenge?
I had already embarked on my own fitness journey and Lucy had shared the My Fitness Pal program with me as we'd chatted about our fitness goals and challenges. I was impressed with the program and the results Lucy was having. When she told me about the Reader Fitness Challenge I was thrilled! Because I know what a struggle it has been for me to get in shape and to find fitness tips that worked for me.  Others have struggled with this as well. I felt it was a chance to share what I have learned on my fitness journey with others and to be an encourager. Every Friday for the twelve weeks of the Reader Fitness Challenge I will be posting a blog with fitness tips on my website along with part of my fitness journey.  Lucy's Reader Fitness Challenge is a fun way to get fit and healthy within a supportive community and such a loving way for her to give back to her readers.  

Sometimes that one small voice at the end of the day which says you can do it is the one thing that keeps a person going. I am blessed and grateful for the opportunity Lucy has provided through the Reader Fitness Challenge and if I can be that one small voice for just one person I am thankful.

Here's a look at my newest release Dangerous Ties.....

Lillian's fiance convinces the townsfolk to exchange their gold for his worthless bank notes. When he disappears, every eye turns to Lillian. Even her cousin Carl insists she knows where the gold is. Carl is deeply indebted to Kingston, owner of the saloon and small town criminal. When Nick discovers Lillian she's strung up over a mine shaft and the rope is breaking. He saves her, tends to her wounds and teaches her to shoot. When his horse trading deal with Kingston goes bad, Lillian races to save Nick.

Dangerous Ties is available for your Kindle or Nook

19 comments:

marybelle said...

DANGEROUS TIES looks wonderful.

If given the opportunity to fire off some guns in the name of research, I would take it.

Lostime4me said...

I love coming here every week and seeing what's happening. Everyone has such an interesting story.

Lostime4me said...

I love coming here every week and seeing what's happening. Everyone has such an interesting story.

Judy said...

How awesome about the learning experience with black powder guns. I'm looking forward to reading Dangerous Ties.

debrap said...

Thank you Losttime4me. It's nice to see comments. :-)

Debra

debrap said...

Thank you, Maybelle!

I highly recommend it especially if you are writing in that time period. :-)

Debra

debrap said...

Judy, it really was!

Thank you!

Debra

_ said...

Interesting blog. I'm thinking of writing a gardening blog with tips once a week. Wonder how much time it takes.
Thanks for the post.
Emma Lane

Maria said...

Good interview! It's always nice to find out what kind of research an author does for certain books or scenes in books and it sounds like the gun scene is a good one.

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

Hi Debra, I've said it before, but every time I see your cover I like it more. It certainly is an eye catcher.

It was fun getting to know you better today.

Jillian said...

Yep, I have a serious case of cover envy. Love, love this one. And I'm excited to know you love to travel. One more thing we have in common. It's awesome that you called the book you bought in Scotland wee. I love it.

debrap said...

Thank you, Emma.
It takes me about an hour to write the fitness blogs. Todays was an exception because I wanted to share a video. It's nice to be able to share tips that can help people. Very enjoyable for me. :-)

Debra

debrap said...

Thank you, Maria!

I'm hoping my readers will find the gun scenes to be realistic. :-)

Debra

debrap said...

HI Paisley!

It's good to see you here! The cover still makes me smile every time I see it. :-)

Debra

debrap said...

Hi Jillian! Desert Breeze has such wonderful cover artists. We are so fortunate!

I'm looking forward to hearing your travel stories. :-) Travel is in my blood.

Scotland is near and dear to my heart. Mother's maiden name was Maxwell, so that makes me a member of Maxwell clan. Just another wee tidbit abut me. ;-)

Debra

Carol L. said...

I love the wee tidbits you've mentioned Debra :) I love everything Scotland especially their brogues. Liking your cover and the blurb. It's great meeting another new Author here. Thanks for the interview. Happy Easter to those who celebrate.
Carol L
Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

Vijaya Schartz said...

Hi, Debra.
Great post.
Have a wonderful Easter

debrap said...

Oh thank you Carol! And a Happy Easter to you too!

I have plans to write a historical romance set in Scotland using Caerlaverock as the setting. Caerlaerock was one of the holdings of Maxwell clan.

Of course I must finish the other books I've started first, so right now I'm not sure how long it will take me to finish that one. It's still in research stage. :-)

Debra

debrap said...

Hi Vijaya! It's lovely to see you here!

Thank you.
Wishing you a blessed Easter as well. :-)

Debra