Friday, March 09, 2012

Guest Blog - T.D. Jones

Where is your creative room?
Every writer needs a creative room. It can be an actually room or even just a corner that you call your writing area. Make this place a sacred place that is only used by you and is only used for the business of writing if possible. Some writers, such as myself have turned a bedroom in the house into an actually office. This is my favorite room in the house because I know in this room I will be creating and doing other projects that involve writing. Some writers chose to write outside the house, such as coffee shops or libraries or any other place that they can be the most productive. The one thing to keep in mind is a writer writes no matter where your space is so even if you have to write at the kitchen table that is okay as long as you write. You may have to try lots of different setting before you find that one place where you are the most creative. 
Some writers need very little in our creative area and some of us need a lot. If you have a small space then you are limited on what you can have, but if you have a large space then you can have as much as you want. Some writers are superstitious and need items around them they feel bring them good luck when it comes to writing. Others just need the simple materials to write with and they are good to go. Whatever you put in your creative world make sure it isn’t something that is going to take you away from the reason you are there in the first place. What you need to have in your writing space is up to you. You are the writer in this area and no one else so just make it yours.
Distractions are the worst thing for a writer. As writers we have a tendency to let our mind wander and daydream, it’s in our job description. The problem is you have to learn when to tell if you’re working while daydreaming or is your brain just being lazy. Talking on the phone to your friend and writing at the same time isn’t really writing. Looking out the window and watching your neighbor take out his trash and writing at the same is not really writing. Writing is when your total attention is on the job at hand. If you have to turn the phone off or shut the blinds just so you can focus on what you are writing then do it. Don’t let distractions keep you from doing the best writing you possibly can. Oh, and taking that nap you so dearly want to take is not going to help clear your mind for writing later. You will just be more behind in your writing when you wake up.  

It is your turn, what is your ideal work environment?  Where are you most productive?  I'd love to hear what you have to say. 

Here are some other places where you can catch up on all my latest news or connect with me.  Thank's Lucy for hosting me today. 

5 comments:

Jenny Twist said...

How right you are, TD. I agree with everything you say, except I can't do without the nap. My excuse is I have my ideas just before I drop off.

Judy said...

I wish I had a room specifically for writing. Someday, but I also have found the right music makes the difference between being able to focus, and stumbling along.

Lorna said...

My job doesn't involve very much creativity. Where I am most productive is when I am working at the taxpayer's office or home. I find the office to be fraught with distractions.

marybelle said...

I need quiet to work productively. The location is secondary.

Teresa Jones said...

Great comments! T.D. Jones