Friday, January 20, 2012

Guest Interview - Jami Davenport


Thanks Lucy for having me on your blog today.  I'm excited to get to know your readers and share my book Fourth and Goal.  I've added a link below to the excerpt page on my website. 

1.  What is your favorite thing to do when you are not writing? 

I have a full-time job in IT. I also ride horses in dressage. I live on a small farm, which requires quite a bit of maintenance. As you can see, boredom is never an issue for me. I enjoy working in the yard in what little other spare time I might have.


2.  What books are sitting in your TBR pile right now?  What book are you currently reading?  

I’m reading a book by an RWA chaptermate, Anthea Lawson, titled Five Wicked Kisses. I also have J. A. Jance’s Betrayal of Trust, Jill Shalvis’s Animal Attraction, and Jo Davis’s Ride the Fire. 

3.  Please, share something you found most interesting or fun that you did to research for a book.

To research my latest release, Fourth and Goal, I attended the Seattle Seahawks Football 101 camp at the Seahawks headquarters in Renton, Washington, on beautiful Lake Washington. I spent the day there, listened to coaches and players talk, attended a session on football basics, and ran through football drills on the practice field.

4.  How did you come up with names, setting, character occupations or  plot for Fourth and Goal

I’ve been a football fan almost as long as I’ve been a horse lover. Over the years, I’ve toyed with writing a football romance. I wanted a book with football scenes as realistic as I could make them. My husband played College football so he helped me write the football scenes. A local female sportscaster, Jenn Mueller, also answered my questions relating to professional football. I wanted my heroine to have an unusual career goal as a football talent scout. There are very few women in this profession, and I was able to find some good information online.

5.  Action adventure or romantic comedy?  What is your favorite TV show lately?  

Actually I’m a reality TV-show addict. I love “House Hunters” on the one of the home improvement channels. Unfortunately (or not), it’s inspired me to do some redecorating, which is needed in my 17-year-old house but cuts into my time. My husband and I also love to watch football (of course), and we’ve been watching old re-runs of JAG.If we’re talking movies, one of my all-time favorites is “Pretty Woman.” A good romance story doesn’t get much better than that.

Seattle Lumberjacks Team Roster

 In a game played on and off the field, only one of them will emerge the winner.

Armed with an uncanny ability for evaluating football talent, a dogged determination to succeed in a man’s world, and an empty bank account, Rachel McCormick agrees to help struggling wide receiver Derek Ramsey get his game back. Rachel believes Derek, her former best friend and lover, knows the truth behind the points-shaving scandal which ruined her father. She vows to expose the secret even if it destroys Derek in the process.

When Derek’s coach suggests sex as an excellent tension reliever the night before a game, Rachel takes one for the team. The next day, Derek has the best performance of his not-so illustrious pro football career.

As Derek and Rachel rack up nights in bed and other places, the team racks up wins on the field. Rachel is torn between her loyalty to her father and her growing affection for Derek. Now it’s fourth and goal, one second left on the clock. Their hearts are on the line. Do they trust each other enough to go for the long bomb or do they get dropped for a loss?

Click here to find a link to chapter 1. 

11 comments:

Jami Davenport said...

Lucy, Thanks so much for having me as a guest on your blog!!!

Jami Davenport said...

PS: We miss you. How was the weather in Oregon?

girlygirlhoosier52 said...

Jami -- thanks for writing about football... I was disapointed several years ago with Playing for Pizza by Grisham... I look forward to reading your spin... I worked for a college football team... boy does that open your eyes on game day.

Estella said...

I enjoy sports themed books. Jami's sounds great.

marybelle said...

Fabulous thank you!!

Jami Davenport said...

Thanks to everyone for dropping by and commenting. We were in the middle of a pretty extreme winter storm, 16 inches of snow, no power, and then an ice storm. Needless to say, I wasn't able to get online much and comment back.

Anyway, thanks again for stopping by.

Lorna said...

So sorry for not posting sooner! I am also a dressage rider. I own a Canadian Trakehner. What is your favorite breed to own/ride? I am very much a lower level rider and certified with Equine Canada as a Western coach.

Laurie Ryan said...

Hi, Jami. Now that I have power and internet back, I can actually check out some blogs again. :) You sure do keep busy! I don't know how you carve out any time to write, but I'm glad you do. I've enjoyed your books.

Jami Davenport said...

lorna, I have ridden to PSG, shown to 4th level. My current horse, a Hanoverian (my dream horse) is retired. I don't think I'll ever be able to afford another one like her. I'm leasing a Grand Prix Arabian gelding right now. So glad you stopped by. You can see more info on my horsie life on Equestrian Ink, a blog I share with other equestrian fiction writers.

Lorna said...

I'm am suitably impressed! I would love to see you ride. I'll check out that website. Thanks!

Fiza_fairy said...

Looks like an interesting blog :)
Become An Idol