Friday, December 09, 2011

Guest Interview - Sofia Hunt

Welcome Sofia. My readers and I are so excited that you stopped by today to share a little about yourself and your latest release, The Bride Bargain.

1. What is your favorite thing to do when you are not writing?

I like to go out with friends and socialize. I love to dance. I also love to cook for groups of people. I’m a football and hockey fan also.

2. What books are sitting in your TBR pile right now? What book are you currently reading?

I’m reading Mercy Celeste’s Wicked Game. I’m a sucker for hot football players, always have been. I just finished a JA Jance novel titled Betrayal of Trust. I also have in my pile Ride the Fire by Jo Davis and Negligee Behavior by Shelly Stevens.

3. Please, share something you found most interesting or fun that you did to research for a book.

While researching for the Bachelor Bay series, Eve Adams and I took a trip to Port Gamble, an old company logging town in Washington State on north Puget Sound. We spent the day taking pictures, touring the old buildings, visiting the museum, and talking with the lady who works in the museum. Port Gamble has a very unique history. It was founded in the 1860s and is still owned by the company which founded it. I have pictures posted on my Facebook of that trip.

4. How did you come up with names plot for The Bride Bargain.

Last summer I started toying with an idea for a ménage series based on a bit of Seattle history. The basic plot revolved around a group of two dozen women who answered an ad in a Boston newspaper for brides wanted in 1860s Washington Territory. The women who answered my hero’s ad were willing to leave civilization behind and journey to an unknown land in the hope of finding a new life and a new love. The Gallagher brothers, who owned a logging company and sawmill, placed the ad in order to pacify their lumberjacks who were threatening to leave because of the lack of women in the area.

Figuring there was safety in numbers, I talked to my good friends, Bella Grace and Eve Adams, to see if they’d be interested in joining me. The more we talked about the idea, the more excited we became. The three of us collaborated on characters, plots, conflicts, and threads that’d run through all the stories. I poured over old UW archives on historical logging and pioneer life in the Pacific Northwest.

And The Brides of Bachelor Bay was born.

5. Reality shows or dramas? What is your favorite TV show lately?
I love Criminal Minds. I’ve always been fascinated by what makes people tick, why they do what they do. I’m also addicted to true crime shows. Someday, I’m sure you’ll see my interest in crime stories reflected in my writing, but not so much now.

Thanks Lucy for hosting me today. I hope your readers enjoy the interview and leave a comment. I'll be posting throughout the day in response. Thanks again!

7 comments:

girlygirlhoosier52 said...

I love the Pacific Northwest! Thanks for writing about it! Sounds like it will be an interesting and fun read for anyone!

Anne said...

Hi, Sophie-

You're a new to me author. It sounds like this series is a historical is that the case or is in a contemporary and just the idea cam from a past event?

Virginia said...

You would be a new author to me, love new authors. Lucy has has some great guest this week with interviews. Can't wait to see what's ahead.

joder said...

Great interview. I LOVE the sound of this book, and since I enjoy reading menages, I'll definitely be looking into this. My Santa list is getting longer and longer.

joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

Estella said...

I live in the Pacific Northwest and love to read books based there.

Carol L. said...

I enjoyed the sound of this book and it's now on my TRL . :)
Can't wait to meet the Gallagher brothers. :) Thanks for the interview.
Carol L
Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

Sofia Hunt said...

Thank you, Lucy, and everyone for giving me such a warm welcome!!!