Thursday, December 08, 2011

Guest Interview - Lavanda Dee

Welcome Lavanda. I'm so glad you were able to stop by today for an interview. You new book sounds great, I'm sure my readers will want to get it on their Christmas wish list!

1. What is your favorite thing to do when you are not writing?

Other than reading, I love traveling. We’ve had the good fortune to be able to travel out of the country as well as in the U.S. We’ve been to China, New Zealand, Australia and Africa to name a few. Also on some great cruises one of my favorites was a Baltic one where the ports of call included St. Petersburg, Germany, and Finland. Recently we’ve take a couple of river cruises, the ships are smaller and they are more informal.

2. What books are sitting in your TBR pile right now?
What isn’t might be an easier question to answer. I read a myriad of different genre. Having so many is one of the reason’s I joined Goodreads. I was finding I was purchasing more than one copy. Just finished Margaret Mallory’s The Sinner, great story. It’s the second book in her The Highlanders series. So lets see, a couple of what’s in my massive TBR pile is Dangerous Desires by Dee Davis, and The Copper Beech by Maeve Binchy. Both of these authors are new to me. My favorite authors don’t seem to stay in the TBR pile very long.

3. How did you come up with the name and settings for Holiday Magic The Gift of Love?

This is a two story anthology I did with a dear friend and fellow author. Laurie
and I share an almost surreal connection. We didn’t know each other when we were younger and yet we named our children with the same or similar names. The other day we were at an event and even though our ticket numbers were miles apart. Mine was drawn and hers was drawn next. This was in a pot of around a hundred tickets. No wonder when we handed each other our stories for critique we found that they had the same flavor. Both are about family. Both have a heroine who is going it alone until . . . The one thing we did purposely decide was that it would be a Christmas book. We didn’t come up with the Priceless Love “For Richer, For Poorer” and Healing Love “In Sickness and in Health” until after the stories were well underway. Mainly because the one thing we do differ in is that Laurie is a plotter while I’m a seat of the pants author.

4. What is your favorite TV shows?

I seem to keep loyal to the ones that have been around for a while. Criminal Minds, and CSI. I like the new shows Body of Proof and Charlie’s Angels. I’m into a few of the reality shows. The Amazing Race for one. We find we’ve been to some of the places and it fun to see things a tourist wouldn’t see. Another is Survivor; I could never rough it to this degree. And I love watching The Biggest Loser. While I’m stuffing my face with popcorn J.

5. What is in works for the future?

I want to finish some of the stories I have started. And, I have the first book in a series called The Blackhawk Brothers coming out in February 2012. It’s a contemporary set in western Montana. This story is Coopers. I hope to have Grants contracted and out in 2012 as well.

Thanks Lucy for allowing me to stop by today! I hope your readers will leave a comment or two, I'll be checking in all day.

14 comments:

marybelle said...

The new book does look great. I've put it on my wish list for Christmas.

Debby said...

What a wonderful book! I loved the interview. I love to travel myself. You get to see and experience and feel so much.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Judy said...

It's fun hearing how lives cross in unexpected ways! The book sounds like a work of love, too. CSI is also "one" of my favorites. :-) Best wishes, Lavanda!

Laurie G said...

Best wishes for continued success with your writing. I'd love to travel like you have!!

Virginia said...

What a great interview! Your book sound fabulous and I would love to read it. What is your favorite part of writing?

Lavada Dee said...

Mary Belle, I hope you like the story as much as we enjoyed writing it.

Debby, traveling is the frosting on the cake. We're off to the Dominican Republic next month.

Judy, my favorite CSI show is still the original one but I watch the other too.

Laurie, You're probably much younger than I am. The traveling will come if you really want to do it.

Virginia, My favorite part of writing is plotting in my head. I'm not a plotter but I live and breath in the stories while I'm writing them. Sort of like living in an alternate world. It makes coming to the end bitter sweet.

Laurie Ryan said...

Good morning! I thought I'd pop over and say hi. I love the questions you got asked. Especially the "what's on your TBR" pile. We've had a lot of fun working on Holiday Magic. I look forward to our next endeavor.

catslady said...

It's always fun to hear about a new author and this book sounds lovely for the holidays. I just heard that Marg Helgenberger is leaving the show :(

Tessa said...

Your book sounds really nice!

joder said...

Great interview and great sounding book! I too love travel, although I can't afford to go anywhere. So thank goodness for the Travel Channel.

Happy Holidays!

joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

Estella said...

Your book sounds great!

Lavada Dee said...

Laurie, hoping 2012 will be as good as this year.

Catslady, I'll hate to see Marg Helenberger leave. She's good opposite Ted Danson's character.

Tessa, joder, and Estella, Thanks for commenting. It's great to hear from you.

Margaret Mallory said...

Congrats on the new release! And thanks for mentioning my books. :)

Margaret

Carol L. said...

Hi Lavanda,
I absolutely love the cover of you and Laurie's book. You're both new to me Authors but I have this book on my TRL. The story sounds like a great one and I can't wait. I'm also going to look forward to your Blackhawk Brothers when it comes out. Happy Holidays.
Carol L
Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com