Friday, December 02, 2011

Guest Author Interview - Liz Fielding

Thanks Liz Fielding for stopping by today for an interview. Your new books looks great and I can't wait to add it to my TBR pile!

1. What is your favorite thing to do when you are not writing?

Favourite pastimes include cooking, knitting for my granddaughter and tiffling in the garden, although I confess to being a fair-weather rather than an all weathers, up to my knees in mud gardener. I also love to curl up and watch old movies on the television. Something with Cary Grant or Doris Day (definitely need to watch To Catch a Thief and the Pajama Game again very soon).

2. What books are sitting in your TBR pile right now? What book are you currently reading?

I’ve just read Busted in Bollywood by Nicola Marsh – exotic India, Sex in City New York and some seriously great men!

I’m now reading Giles and Florence by John Harding, which is rather strange but deeply engrossing.

On the pile I have The Dress by Sophie Nicholl, White Lies and Custard Creams by Susan Alison, the latest Kate Hardy and a Donna Leon that I picked up at the library. I also have the new Barbara O’Neal pre-ordered.

3. Please, share something you found most interesting or fun that you did to research for a book.

Research is one of my favourite things. I learned a lot about plant breeding for The Five Year Baby Secret from the Fuchsia Society. I’m still up to eyes in ice cream and vintage ice cream vans for the second of my books about the Amery sisters — the wip. I especially love researching department stores where I’ve set several books; shopping as research — could anything be more fun! And then there was Italy. Rome. The Appenines. All of it absolutely vital in writing Flirting With Italian, you understand. We’re already planning another trip to Italy so that I can set another book there.

4. How did you come up with names and setting for Flirting with With Italian?

For Flirting With Italian I needed an Italian hero with an appropriate name, so I searched the web for names and places in Lazio where the book is set. (I’d already used the name of a friend who lives there in another story!) I based the hero’s Roman palazzo on the hotel where we stayed at in Rome – an old palazzo with Roman mosaics in situ. For the village of Serrone, I used the area where we’ve stayed with friends who live south of Rome in the foothills of the Appenines. There is nothing like feeling the heat coming out of the stones, the smell of a place to make it real.

5. Action adventure or romantic comedy? What is your favorite movie lately?

Neither. The best movie I’ve seen in a long time was The King’s Speech. Quiet, tender, moving. Loved it. And I’m getting really excited about watching My Week With Marilyn right now.

Be sure to leave a comment or question, I will be giving away a copy of Flirting with Italian to one lucky winner.

Thanks Lucy for the invitation, it was a great interview!

29 comments:

marybelle said...

I loved THE KING'S SPEECH too. FLIRTING WITH ITALIAN looks wonderful.

Virginia said...

I haven't seen The King's Speech sounds good though! I really enjoy your books and Flirting with Italian looks like a great read.

jbcweiss said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jbcweiss said...

After reading the excerpt of Flirting with Italian it brought back memories of my trip to Italy with my family many years ago. Can't wait to read it.

Rose said...

Your book sounds great. I have lots of your books and I read them over and over again.

Natalija said...

Greetings from Northern Italy & congrats on your new release, Liz! Few days ago I watched "One Day". I expected it to be more fun, the end just ruined it for me. I'm a fan of HEA :)

Selena Robins said...

Kings Speech was one of my favorite movies, Colin Firth did such a wonderful job. Love love Italy as well, we have a lot of family living there. The title of your book intrigued me.

Desere said...

Hi Liz,

Congrats on your new release I just know it will be brilliant ! The King's speech sounds fabulous I must make a plan to see it.

I would like to know what your favorite kind of hero is nationality wise that is Italian or maybe Greek?

Thanks for the chance to win this fabulous sounding book of yours!

Desere

Christine Warner said...

I've read some excerpts of Flirting with Italian and it sounds like a fun read and definitely one to add to my own TBR pile!

Congrats on your book and much success Liz!

catslady said...

I too enjoyed the King's Speech. And I'm always interested in any book having to do with Italy (still on my buckeet list) since all my ancestors came from there!

Liz Fielding said...

Golly - I've been in the hut at the bottom of the garden writing all afternoon and come back to all these lovely comments. Thanks so much for dropping by.

And thanks, Virginia!

Liz Fielding said...

Can't wait to go back to Rome, jbc! I hope the book brings it all back to you.

Liz Fielding said...

Bless you, Rose!

Liz Fielding said...

Natalija, I'm a fan of happy endings, too. Guess that's why I write romance. :)

Liz Fielding said...

I fought tooth and nail for that title, Selena!

Liz Fielding said...

Interesting question, Desere. Have to admit that I'm addicted to a certain type of Englishman - the old-fashioned kind (okay, Colin Firth!)

I think I'd choose Italian over Greek, but then again... :)

Liz Fielding said...

Thanks for taking time to read the excerpts, Christine - I hope it lives up to the trailer!

Liz Fielding said...

Italy is gorgeous, Catslady. If you do make it, give yourself plenty of time! Hope you do.

Teresa Morgan said...

Okay - I'm excited. Liz is going to be writing another book with the Amery sisters! Can't wait to read Flirting With Italian.

I haven't seen The King's Speech yet, but it's got to be good. Colin Firth!!!!

Liz Fielding said...

Sorrel's story is up next, Teresa! Having more fun researching ice cream. :)

Desere said...

LOL Liz your too funny that is just one more thing I like about you and your writing your books are always so full of life and so much fun to read! Thanks again for the chance to win and again a huge congrats on your new release !

Desere

redjuliet said...

Love your books, Liz! I have looked forward to your latest release since I love Italy! Looking forward to the next ice cream book too! Hope you have a great Christmas!

Laney4 said...

Holy mackerel, Liz! That wasn't "flirting". That was hot hot hot!
Really loved your excerpt and look forward to reading the rest of the story.

Maureen said...

It was an interesting interview and I do enjoy Liz's stories so I will be looking for this new one.

Nas Dean said...

Congratulations on the release of Flirting with the Italian, Liz!

Liz Fielding said...

Thanks so much, Desere. Love and laughter are a great combination. :)

Liz Fielding said...

Laney... Er, yes, this book does sizzle. I'm a bad girl and will be drummed out of HR if I'm not careful!

Liz Fielding said...

Hi Juliet. Italy and ice cream - could there be a better combination?

Liz Fielding said...

Bless you Maureen and Nas!

And thanks to everyone for taking the time to come and visit with me. Loved catching up.