Monday, November 21, 2011

Insomnia, the new Nook, DWTS & Thanksgiving

So, I've had trouble sleeping at night for the past few weeks and it's driving me nuts.  I've tried (repeatedly -  nothing like a can-do attitude ::g::) re-reading books I love - but know well - in the hopes that the reading will help my brain get tired without me getting so involved in the story that I have to stay up to finish it.  Again.  It doesn't work!  There's a reason the books are on my re-read shelves (either in my library downstairs or the digital one on my computer).  They're good. :)  I mean, I'm not going to re-read a book that's boring, right?

Okay, so that doesn't work.  Neither does reading new books (though I've gone through dozens of them in the last weeks).  In the unlikely event I actually get tired, the story calls to me and I finish it before falling into slumber.  And while my brain may work well enough to read, it's not up to writing anything coherent at 3 AM.  The problem with insomnia is that I can be so physically tired my body aches and my mind is barely functioning, but I *cannot* go to sleep.

I've started light therapy and taking 5HTP again - hopefully I'll be sleeping at night again VERY soon. :)

But lets say I don't...staying up reading in an empty house is lonely.  Only I prefer the eBook readers with liquid ink.  Less strain on my eyes.  Can't read them in bed with Hubcap though.  I've tried reading lights and they fall off, get in the way and never give off enough light.  If they're bright enough, they keep him awake.  Sigh..

So, I'm thinking about getting the new Nook Tablet.  It's soooo cool!  Then I could read in bed without keeping Hubcap awake.  Right?  *That's* why I want it. LOL  Also, I can keep *all* my eBooks on it (except those on my Kindle, but it's not like I'm going to toss it our right?).  The only other place I can do that is my computer.  The Nook Tablet comes with more onboard memory than other eReaders and tablets,. it's sleek in design and weighs almost nothing.  Okay, okay, okay...I'll admit it, my inner geek is so wanting this piece of technology. :)  It's definitely on my hope-with-my-fingers-and-toes-crossed-I-get-it-for-Christmas list! What do you think of it?  Does anyone have it yet?  I'm not sure waiting for Christmas is going to work...

I mean if I got it, I could even keep up with news on my favorite shows, like Dancing With the Stars.  Who do you think is going to take home the Mirror Ball trophy?  I honestly don't know and all three of the finalists are favorites for different reasons.  Ricki Lake is an inspiration to me personally on so many levels and JR Martinez is both a heroic inspiration and a really nice guy.  Then there's Rob Kardashian who has worked his tushy off (not literally of course - he's got a very nice perdonkadonk - just don't tell Hubcap I said so) to improve and is now dancing at par with the other two.  I'm just amazed by all three of them and won't be disappointed no matter who walks home with the trophy.  Or dances rather. ;-)  We'll know tomorrow night, will you be watching with me?

Regardless of who wins, I'll have plenty to say, "Thank you" to God for on Thanksgiving.  My life is filled with the blessing of love.  It's not perfect, it's not always easy - but I have love and that's the most important thing to me.  My family fills my life with joy, despite my stupid agoraphobia and borderline social phobia.  So, even if it's hard to leave the house to go shopping and maybe I struggle with being online every once in a while - I'm so grateful to be me, because being me means I have 4 amazing children (by birth, adoption & marriage) and 2 young men I share with their families in Korea as sons, 2 healthy, loving, adorable and intelligent granddaughters and the best husband any woman could ever ask for.  Mom may be waiting in Heaven for me, but the rest of my family is here and will be showing up at my house on Sunday for our Thanksgiving-slash-winter birthdays celebration.

My Family at DQ's Wedding

Little Fashionista & Miss Sparklepants w/ Grandma :)
I am also extremely grateful for my friends, my readers and a publishing industry that lets me make a living doing what I adore!

The holidays are overwhelming to me, but they are worth every moment of stress as I share my delight in life, my gratitude to God and for my family with the ones whom I love and who love me most. :)

It's your turn:  what is on your Christmas wish list this year?  If I could have absolutely anything?  It would be a few hours to chat with my mom again from before her stroke - when she remembered everything. :)

12 comments:

marybelle said...

My wish would be to turn back the clock on my Father's Alzheimers. I wish...

Sunu said...

I wish my grandma is alive to see my son . . . She would have been so so so happy and what a guidance I would have got . . .

girlygirlhoosier52 said...

I would also wish to be able to chat with my mom and dad. That's sure a great looking group of family you have!!

Judy said...

You're not alone in the not being able to sleep. And none of my usual tricks are working. What a lovely family! Not a day goes by that I don't wish for a little more time with my dog...

Anne said...

Ok, I'll be the selfish one: I'd like a Kindle Fire.

There's no way Rob Khardashian will or should win. His dancing has gotten better, but it leaves me cold. TR and Ricki deserve to be there at the very end. I usually think that's the case every season. While some are kept on longer than they should be (I believe the voting public has a cruel streak in some cases... right Jerry Springer?)ultimately the best are there at the very end.

Heather Woods said...

I wish that my mum was still alive, despite the fact that she's been gone 18 years I still miss her so much. I wish she could tell me if I was wasting my time writing, still hoping and praying for that lucky break. She was always good at that, the ability to tell you looked dreadful or were doing something wrong in such a way that you weren't the least bit offended!

Virginia said...

My wish would be to have my mother back as a whole person so she could meet my son. She pasted away one week before he was born. Her last two years was spent not being able to walk or speak, it was so say.

Judy F said...

I never sleep through the night anymore.

I wish I could see my dad again. I just wish to talk to him before the Alzheimer's took over. miss him dearly

Happy Thanksgiving

catslady said...

I was going to suggest your husband try a sleep mask if the light bothers him but then if that worked you wouldn't have an excuse for that Nook lol. Reading usually works for me when I can't sleep but sometimes I make a game of going through words or math problems that are boring.

I am grateful that my mom is still with us at 89 and in good shape! I wish my daughter's marriage had worked :(

Jane said...

I want to have all the time in the world to enjoy the company of my family and friends.

Sherry said...

When I can't sleep I take Benadryl. Works eveytime, however it also leaves me feeling hung over if I have to be up early.

For Christmas this year, we will be traveling to Pennsylvania for son #2's wedding. So I am praying for safe travel and decent weather as we will be making the 20 hour drive on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day for a December 26th wedding.

Lorna said...

My one wish - that my 14 year old daughter didn't have Cerebral Palsy.

As for your sleep issue, don't be afraid to try some over the counter sleeping pills. If they don't help, then talk to your doctor about getting something stronger. Sleep is so important and taking some pills might help your body get back into a sleeping cycle.