Friday, November 25, 2011

Guest Blog - Christina Hollis


Thank you for inviting me to blog today, Lucy!

With my latest Modern Romance for Harlequin Mills and Boon and Harlequin Presents/Extra, Weight of the Crown, I’ve invented an exotic desert kingdom especially for

my hero Lysander. He’s determined to do what is right, despite the cost to his private life. But when Alyssa Dene goes to work for him, his veneer of cold, calculating isolation is ripped clean away.


To whet your appetite, here’s what it says on the back cover:

Now duty is his only mistress
For notorious playboy Prince Lysander Kahani, playtime is over...Left with a country to run, he draws the line at playing nanny to his orphaned nephew!

Instead he sends for a professional. But one glance at buttoned-up Alyssa Dene and Lysander’s
wicked side re-emerges! Wary of Lysander’s scandalous reputation, Alyssa tries to keep her distance - but Lysander draws her like a moth to a flame.
Lysander is fighting a battle between public duty and private desire, but he is determined to make Alyssa a royal offer she won’t refuse...(Copyright Harlequin Mills and Boon Limited, 2011)

Alyssa's first loyalty is to the child in her care, who is Lysander’s little nephew. She is the best woman in the world for that job, but brilliance doesn’t stop her making a serious mistake, and believing mischievous palace gossip...

‘...Like a fool I let you seduce me despite the fact I’ve always known what you were like.’
Lysander said nothing to begin with, but she could tell he was angry. He betrayed it in the rigid set of his jaw and the iron intensity of his stare. It was a long time before he could trust himself to answer. He stood, trying to collect himself while her nerves stretched to breaking point
‘That’s why you’re different, Alyssa,’ he said in a ragged voice. ‘You’ve always seen the man in me, not the image.'
‘Really? And which bit of you do all those women in all those glossy magazines get to enjoy?’
‘What can I say?’ He hitched a weary shoulder. ‘I’ve told you - I like women. They like me’
Alyssa’s voice was carbon steel. ‘I’ve noticed. I wonder how Princess Peronelle will feel about that?’
He looked at her askance. ‘Why should she care? ‘
‘When she’s your wife, she’ll do more than care. Be careful she doesn’t stab you through that wicked black heart of yours, Lysander Kahani.’ (Copyright Harlequin Mills and Boon Limited, 2011)

I loved the freedom that writing about the invented country of Rosara gave me. It meant I could combine bits from all my favourite countries in one place, giving it perfect weather, stunning countryside and delicious cuisine.

Writing must be the best job in the world. I’m not sure I’d swap it for anything else - unless a gorgeous prince came to call, of course! Even then he’d have to be out of this world to compete with my lovely, patient, handsome husband. There aren’t many men who are as understanding as my OH is - beekeeping and gardening take up most of my time when I’m not writing, so he gets to do a lot of heavy work despite the fact they’re my hobbies. To add insult to injury, each winter I store all my kit in his beloved shed, so for part of each year he isn’t even monarch in there!

What are some of your favorite hobbies? Leave me a comment and enter to win a signed copy from my backlist!

Christina Hollis writes Modern Romance for Harlequin Mills and Boon, and her titles appear as Harlequin Presents/Extra in the US.
You can catch up with Christina here:
Website: http://www.christinahollis.com

19 comments:

Nas Dean said...

Hi Lucy, Hello Christina!

Awesome post! Thank you Lucy for highlighting a fantastic romance Weight of the Crown! And a fabulous author, Christina!

Christina....now hobbies? Does reading count? Please do not enter me in the contest, as I have most of your new releases ;)

Christina Hollis said...

HI Nas, it's good to see you here. I think reading for pleasure is a wonderful hobby. You can do it anywhere, and with the advent of ereaders, you can indulge on public transport without anyone knowing what you're enjoying!

Debby said...

Sounds like a great book. It must be fun to be able to create what you want. Great job!!
debby236 at gmail dot com

Christina Hollis said...

Hi Debby, thanks for commenting. Writing is indeed a wonderful job. I wouldn't swap it for the world!

ketinka said...

I love reading your blog posts Christina, they're always so interesting! My current hobby is budgeting, closely followed by reading...

Christina Hollis said...

Hi Ketinka, I must have missed your post by seconds! Good luck with the budgeting. Try to look on it as a challenge, although that's a big ask.

Laney4 said...

G'Day, Mates! I hope you are having a super fantastic cool day. (Gosh, I haven't used that phrase in decades....)

Hobbies? Hmmm. I play competitive badminton up to five nights a week and love, love, love it (obviously). I enjoy baking for others (and myself on occasion), so whenever something is gone, I (usually) immediately bake something else to share. I have been scrapbooking old magnetic photo albums, but if someone else would do it for me, I'd be okay with that, as it becomes a chore after awhile.

Christina Hollis said...

Hi Laney, it's great to hear from you. I'm with you on the baking, but sadly not the exercise. I do far too much of the former, and far too little of the latter!

catslady said...

I enjoyed the back blurb! I reading and collecting books but also love to do crafty things - crochet, needlepoint etc. and any kind of games or puzzles.

chey said...

Great post! My favourite hobby is gardening.

Leni said...

Some of the activities I like are reading, cooking, and practicing yoga.

Christina Hollis said...

Hi Catslady, thanks for commenting. You'll never be short of ideas for Christmas presents!

Christina Hollis said...

Hi Chey, I hope you get plenty of time for gardening this weekend. Thanks for commenting!

Christina Hollis said...

Hi Leni, thanks for commenting. Yoga must be useful in helping you to relax - a useful skill at this time of year!

marybelle said...

I'm really into craft: Sewing, embroidery, crochet & knitting. I have just made a 'batch' of hats & booties for the premmies up at the hospital. I always have a project on the go.

gfuybyu7tnoi said...

Hi Christina,
Is there any time for other hobbies apart from beekeeping?
Ok, maybe yes at this time of year, the kids and I are having a dabble at geocaching. It's child friendly, cheap and outdoors.

@Jimmmy_bee

Christina Hollis said...

Hi Jimmmy - haha! I once read a magazine article that said beekeeping takes 'no more than five minutes a week'. Definitely written by a non-beekeeper, but I don't regret a second spent with my bees. It's such an absorbing and useful hobby.
Geocaching sounds incredible - I'm sure we'll get devotees around here soon. We used to get Orienteers, but they seem to have disappeared.

Rose said...

The book sounds fantastic!

Christina Hollis said...

Hi Rose, thanks for your kind words!