Thursday, November 10, 2011

Guest Author Interview - Heidi Rice

Heidi Rice has stopped by today for an interview. She is the author of some amazing books such as Bedded by a Bad Boy, The Mile-High Club, Pleasure Pregnancy and a Proposition and Public Affair, Secretly Expecting she is about ready to release her latest book, On the First Night of Christmas this November 30th.

Welcome Heidi, we look forward to the opportunity to know you better.

1. What is your favorite thing to do when you are not writing?
Probably researching about my next American Road Trip with my best mate Catri. We take a two-week break every couple of years, leaving our husbands and kids behind, get a cheap flight to the US, hire a car and hit the road. We met in college on an American Studies course when we bonded over our love of James Dean, Jack Kerouac and western movies, and we spend a huge amount of time surfing the internet and coming up with places off and on the beate
n track to visit for our next trip. Over the years a few of our top spots have included Monument Valley, Shoshone Death Valley, Nantahala National Forest in the Smokies, St Michaels in Maryland, Big Sur and Marfa Texas, but we’re always on the lookout for somewhere new that will blow our minds. Thelma and Louise eat your hearts out!

2. What books are sitting in your TBR pile right now? What book are you currently reading?
Very soon to be sitting in my TBR pile (once I persuade her to send me a copy) will be Kimberly Lang’s The Power and the Glory, the second in her Marshalls trilogy for HP. I’m currently reading JD Robb’s New York to Dallas. I’ve devoured all Nora’s Eve Dallas books and me and Roarke have a bit of a thing going now. (But don’t mention it to Eve or I’m liable to get my butt kicked!)

3. Please, share something you found most interesting or fun that you did to research for a book.
By far my favourite research for books is interviewing people with interesting occupations. People can be so fascinating, especially if they’re doing something they love. I interviewed a gorgeous Italian-Argentine architect for Unfinished Business with the Duke and a fe
male lifeguard for the opening scene in Surf, Sea and a Sexy Stranger — who pointed out that if my heroine strapped my hero to a rescue board before she got him ashore (as I’d originally written the scene) she’d probably break his back. Good to know!

4. How did you come up with the setting for On the First Night of Christmas?
London is my home town. I was born and bred here and I really feel the city comes into its own at Christmas time, so as a setting for this book it was a no-brainer really. And I couldn’t resist having Jace and Cassidy do a lot of the things my family and I now consider Christmas traditions – going to the funfair in Hyde Park, window--shopping along Oxford Street, watching the fireworks on the Thames for New Year, ice-skating at Somerset House, to name but a few.

5. Action adventure or romantic comedy? What is your favorite movie lately?
Being a hopeless romantic I lean more towards rom-com than action movies but my favourite movie lately has to be a wonderfully random (and rather rude) little indie comedy called Cedar Rapids about a convention of insurance salesmen in Iowa. It has a lovely message about the value of true friendships, was laugh out loud hilarious in places and has a great in-joke for devotees of the HBO show The Wire, of which I am one, so it ticked all my boxes.

Thanks Heidi, this was a fun interview! I wanted to let readers know that Heidi has agreed to come back after Thanksgiving to give us an excerpt of her newest release, On the First Night of Christmas.

14 comments:

girlygirlhoosier52 said...

Thanks for stopping by & I'm looking forward to your return with an excerpt. You sure can't go wrong with visiting our National Parks.. Maybe you two should drive the old route 66 from east to west...

Judy said...

I wish my best friend and I could do that! How fun! Christmas in London sounds lovely. Looking forward to the excerpt.

Natalija said...

Great interview, thank you for sharing! I have read "The Tycoon's Very Personal Assistant" by Heidi Rice & I enjoyed it very much. Keep up the good work!

Virginia said...

Great interview! I would love to spend Christmas in London would be beautiful! You would be a new author to me and I love reading new authors will check out your books.

catslady said...

Oh, the road trip sounds like so much fun. You are a new to me author too but I enjoyed your interview and now is the time for Christmas books!

Heidi Rice said...

girlygirl (love that tagline!!) I adore the US as you can probably tell.. And my friend and I did Route 66 on our last trip but one when we flew into the LA and then headed east. I even have the t-shirt to prove it! Unfortunately it did disappear around about Bakersfield but it was still wonderful and we went camping in Yosemite on the same trip and saw a bear so it turned out to be one of our best trips ever (luckily for us the bear was fairly docile and not that bothered by two British women screaming their heads off!)

Heidi Rice said...

Judy you should do it if you get the chance I swear it keeps us both young (although I'm not sure if our husbands would agree!) And do come to London one Christmas, it's amazing. Last year we even had snow!

Heidi Rice said...

Natalija, I'm so chuffed that you enjoyed The Tycoon's Very Personal Assistant. Have to admit I loved writing it and got to visit Big Sur the next year on one of my trips. Was so nice to discover it all over again after doing all the research.... It was even more soulful and magnificent than I had imagined it!

Heidi Rice said...

Virginia, I'm planning to give away a copy of my latest book when Lucy does the excerpt so do come and leave a comment. And London does come into its own at Christmas, there's something really magical about all that pomp and circumstance wrapped up in tinsel and fairy lights!

Heidi Rice said...

Absolutely Catslady, the road trips are fun and America is so the place to do them... There's just something so cool about the can-do attitude in the US that you don't get in Europe. Americans know how to do hospitality like no other country! And yes, I'm now reading Kim Lang's Christmas book and loving it... Makes the strain on my credit card somehow less painful.

Leni said...

I favor the romantic comedies, too. The older ones are my favorite. Think it's because the leads were so charming.

Heidi Rice said...

Oh yes Leni, I love some of the classic rom-coms like Bringing Up Baby and His Girl Friday.. In fact Cary Grant could really do no wrong. My favourite of all though is It Happened One Night, there's just something about Clark Gable looking young and gorgeous that can't be beat!

marybelle said...

I watched TANGLED (Disney's Rapunzel) on DVD with with daughter & just loved it. Animation is not just for children. There are some incredibly beautiful scenes in this movie.

Heidi Rice said...

Marybelle, I loved Tangled too, especially the romance in that movie, I thought Flynn Ryder was great! And that gorgeous sequence with the lanterns.. Definitely not just for kids!