Friday, November 11, 2011

Guest Author Interview and Excerpt - Serena Zane

Welcome Serena! I'm excited to learn more about your newest release Moonlight in a Pickup Truck. Sounds like a great book that I need to get in my TBR pile.

One more night… is it worth the risk to lose everything for a chance at love? Placing your heart on the line is hard to do, especially when there is doubt that the love is returned in the same way. Her best friend is leaving for the Navy and this is her last opportunity to reveal her true feelings, but will she have the courage?

Excerpt from the novel:
Anticipation. Wasn’t there a saying somewhere, anticipation only makes things better? I could only wish. And what was it anyways?
My stomach felt tied in knots. I tried to dim down the feeling of apprehension that threatened to overwhelm and make me toss my cute little outfit back in the closet never to be seen again. Three years was an eternity for anyone to wait when there was no end in sight.
With a quick look in the mirror, I adjusted the green silk corset I wore pulling the strings tighter. My breasts plumped up and I smiled at the result. I actually looked like a girl. Not that he'd
notice. I groaned. If he hadn’t noticed in three years, then he wasn’t about to notice now. Slipping the jade necklace I borrowed from Mom over my head, I couldn’t help but feel good as the heavy brooch fell right at the top of my cleavage. Not anything to write home about, but I’d made my best effort to impress.
One more night, one more night to catch the attention of the man I’d dreamt about almost every time I closed my eyes for the last three years.


Serena, Let me ask you a few questions before you leave....

1. What is your favorite thing to do when you are not writing?

When I am not writing my favorite thing to do is participate in the Society of Creative Anachronism, Inc. We research and recreate the Middle Ages. I specifically study the lat 16th century and play a lady-in-waiting in Queen Elizabeth’s court. It has taught me how to sew elaborate costumes, I get to play my violin with other musicians with English Country Dances, and I sing songs by 16th Century composers. I also fight in armor and learn rapier fighting like the cavilers from late period England. I have been participating in the SCA for 17 years.

2. Please, share something you found most interesting or fun that you did to research for a book.

The most intriguing thing that I have done since beginning my writing career, was my research for my second book, Crystal Clear. The book is based in Bend, Oregon and my husband and I decided when we got married that we would honeymoon there. We investigated the lava caves where my heroine gets kidnapped, hiked through the same forest, and went white water rafting just like she did. Also, since Cindy Hawke the heroine was a small aircraft pilot, so to experience what she did, my friend Annie took me up in a Cessna. She had me take off, fly, and land. It was one of the most amazing experiences I’ve had, and would love to do again sometime.

3. How did you come up with setting for Moonlight in a Pickup Truck?

Moonlight in a Pickup Truck is pulled from a very personal experience that I had as a young woman. The setting is real, which was the cab of an old truck on the boat ramp up at Waha Lake in Lewiston, Idaho late one night and created my story around that night. Each of my settings is based in a place I have either been, or researched carefully so I can create a visceral place for my readers.

Thanks Serena for sharing your newest release with us and giving a great interview! I want to remind my readers that Moonlight in a Pickup Truck is available now on Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble.com, Outblast, and Bookstogonow.com

9 comments:

girlygirlhoosier52 said...

Well, I'll be getting a copy to read to find out what happened in that pickup truck....

Judy said...

The book has definitely caught my interest. Serena, I'm curious if the SCA has played a part in any of your books. Great interview!

Serena Zane said...

@Judy Yes. The SCA definitely plays a part in my writing. As a matter of fact, both this book and another that I hope to release soon called Follow the Heart are loosely based on experiences I had had in the SCA.

Virginia said...

Great interview! Yep you got my interest up. Also love the fact that you based a book on a place you visited.

Laurie Ryan said...

Wow. You've really taken research to a new level. I love that you went out and experienced the places your characters visit. As well, you white water rafted and flew a plane? Wow. I bet it was fun to re-live that while writing the story. And that it also added a depth to the story. Well done!

catslady said...

I think it always shows when an author enjoys her research and you seem to definitely go the extra mile! Great interview.

Lavada Dee said...

Hi Serena, Great blog. It was fun to read about your research.

Serena Zane said...

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate you stopping by. If you have any questions or want to know more about my work please just ask. Feel free to pop by my website at: www.serenazane.com and leave a comment.

Debby Lee said...

Hi Serena, nice blog, I think it would be fun to see you in costume sometime. Moonlight in a Pickup Truck is a great quick read. I loved it. Lucy, thanks for hosting Serena, hope to see you again sometime.