Friday, September 30, 2011

Guest Blog - Kate Walker

Welcome Kate Walker! My readers and I are so excited to learn a little more about you! Thanks for a great interview!

1. What is your favorite thing to do when you are not writing?
Reading! I just wish I had much much more time to do it. I never ever have as much time as I’d like to just curl up with a really good book- preferably with one of my cats on my knee. The other favourite thing is just being with my loved ones, specially my DH. Sadly we lost his mother earlier this year and if there’s one thing that brings home to you how much you should value those you love it’s that.


2. What books are sitting in your TBR pile right now? What book are you currently reading?
I am always buying books and then letting them sit on my shelf (shelves) . I swear that they then breed there because there is never any space, no matter how much I do try to read. So the honest answer to
what books? – is a whole library. I tend to read two or more things at once – depending on my mood, and I have upstairs and downstairs books so that I can grab a book and sneak a read even if I only have a few minutes. The ‘downstairs’ book I just finished is The Drowning Girl by Margaret Leroy – a spooky tale about a little girl who seems to have lived before. And upstairs I have Jane Porter’s latest Presents title A Dark Sicilian Secret. Next after that is my dear friend Michelle Reid’s new title, The Kanellis Scandal. I’m in the UK so these books are in the Mills & Boon Modern Editions.

3. Please, share something you found most interesting or fun that you did to research for a book.
My newest title The Return of The Stranger is something different - it’s part of a mine series that takes some of the classic books from romantic fiction as inspiration and uses that as a launch pad for a whole new story. So when I was asked to do the Wuthering Heights book I had a great excuse to watch all the film versions from Laurence Olivier onwards, to soak up the atmosphere and the passion. I grew up so very close to Howarth where the Bronte sisters lived, so I also got to explore the village and the countryside around it.

4. How did you come up with - or - setting - or character occupations - or - plot, etc. for The Return Of the Stranger?

So as i said, Return of the Stranger is something rather different from my usual books – but I was not going to copy or just lift the story from the original book, I wanted to take that as the springboards and write my own novel as a result. But I wanted to keep some of the power and intensity of the original. So my hero
and heroine are Kat Charlton and Heath Montanha. The setting was one ting I didn’t want to change because what everyone remembers about Wuthering Heights is the way it’s set on the wild moors of Yorkshire and having walked over those
moors many times I knew just how atmospheric they can be. Finally, the story of Heath(Heathcliff) is that he leaves the place he grew up and goes away to make his fortune. So I created a whole new life for my Heath - discovering that he came from Brazil and there he was involved in mining, discovering a rich seam of emeralds that he mined to make his fortune. And so the story begins when, no long the bad boy stablehand, the rebel who caused trouble in the past, but as a rich, powerful man, Heath comes back to take his revenge on the family who treated him so badly – and to claim the one woman he has always wanted.

5. Action adventure or romantic comedy? What is your favorite movie lately?
That really depends on mood. I love action adventures – but they have to have a strong relationship developing story in there. That’s the romance novelist in me! So I suppose I’ll have to say that deep down it has to be a romantic story I love to watch most. But the most recent movie I watched – on DVD because it’s not a new film but one our son bought for my DH for his birthday - was neither of these. It was Capote starring Philip Seymour Hoffman. It’s a grim, dark story about the writing of In Cold Blood and Capote’s relationship with a murderer – but it was riveting, totally compelling. And the acting was magnificent.

Thanks Lucy for allowing me to visit with you today! I'd love to hear from your readers. Anyone who leaves a comment on today's interview will be entered into a drawing to win The Return Of a Stranger - winner will be announced on Lucy's blog on Saturday!

24 comments:

Lucy Monroe said...

Had to check in from Rome to say welcome and the book sounds absolutely intriguing! Definitely my next Kindle buy when I return home. Thanks so much for guesting, Kate. I know I'm not the only one who is going to thoroughly enjoy your interview. Hugs!

marybelle said...

I have some Kate Walker books on my book shelf. Always a very enjoyable read. I am yet to watch Capote - glad you liked it.

Kate Walker said...

Hello Lucy - and thank you for your welcome. I hope you enjoy Rome - have a wonderful time and relax a bit after what I know has been a difficult year. Thanks for inviting me along to your blog - and I do hope you enjoy The Return of The Stranger if you get hold of a copy.

Have a wonderful trip!

Kate Walker said...

Hello Marybelle. Thank you for visiting - and for saying that you enjoy my books. I hope you enjoy this one too if you read it.

Sunu said...

Its great to see my another favorite author in this blog . . . The Return of The Stranger is going to be my next read. . .

girlygirlhoosier52 said...

Ohhhh.. forced to watch Laurence Olivier movies for background.. Sounds like a great read & will be on my TBR pile soon!! Oh and those of you in Rome! Enjoy!!!

Kaelee said...

Thanks Lucy and Kate for an interesting interview. Enjoy your trip Lucy.

CrystalGB said...

Hi Kate. Great interview. The Return of the Stranger sounds good. I love your books. :)

Kate Walker said...

Sunu- thank you! How lovely to be described as your favourite author. I'm honoured

Kate Walker said...

I know, girlygirl . . .sometimes the research romance writers have to do can be tough! I hope you enjoy The Return of The Stranger if you read it.

Kate Walker said...

Hi Kaelee! I thought you'd drop by.Good to see you here.

Kate Walker said...

And Crystal - another familiar friend - I hope you do find Return of the Stranger a great read. Thank you for loving my books

catslady said...

Rome - sounds lovely.
What a catchy title - I really like it. Sounds like a great read and I enjoyed the interview.

LSUReader said...

Kate--You said, "I am always buying books and then letting them sit on my shelf (shelves.) I swear that they then breed..."

YES! I thought it was just me! Thanks for easing my mind!

The Return of the Stranger sounds interesting and I look forward to reading more. Thanks for visiting.

Virginia said...

Great interveiw Kate. I love both Action Adventure and Romantic Comedies. Also love your books. How do you keep up with the story lines when reading two books at once? My mind just can't keep up with doing that now. Must be age.

Laney4 said...

Hey there, Kate!
Thanks, Lucy, for having Kate on with you today. I am always excited to see Kate's work shared with fan favourites and hopefully new fans alike.
I am a huge fan. Have enjoyed so many of Kate's books so far (like AT THE SHEIKH'S COMMAND, where I too fell in love with the sheikh; like CORDERO'S FORCED BRIDE, where I could easily visualize being there in every scene; like DESERT AFFAIR, where I could relate to Lydia's lack of choices and how she handled those choices; and like THE HOSTAGE BRIDE, which is one book I'd like to re-read soon). Would love to read Kate's latest too, as I would be willing to bet that I'll have the same response: not being able to put down the book until I'm finished. It goes without saying when it comes to Kate's books!
Thanks again for the great interview, Lucy.

Kate Walker said...

Hi catslady - doesn't Rome at this time of year sounds fabulous? I'll just have to remember that this time next year I'm heading for Tuscan tyo teach writing - can't wait! I'm glad you like this title - we are getting some much better ones than we used to have - my next one is one I love it's The Devil and Miss Jones

Kate Walker said...

I think I really can reassue you LSUReader - I'm sure that books do breed when I put them on my TBR shelves - I've never caught them at it, but I know that I never seem to have any less books there even when I've read some!

Kate Walker said...

Hi Virginia - I think I can keep up with two books at once because I'm used to reading bokos - and writing books at the same time so I have different stories in my head all the time. But then I admit that I do sometimes get the plots confuzzled!

Kate Walker said...

Hello Laney! What a lovely generous post - and believe me I think you've said exactly what every author hopes will happen when someone picks up one of our books - I love the way that you become the heroine, go through her worries and difficulties - share her joys - and fell in love with her hero. Just what I hoped you'd do!

Thank you

Sonali said...

Hi Kate, lovely to see you here. Great interview!

Sandra Lynne said...

Kate, I really love your Harlequin Presents books (especially your Alcolar series)! Recently I read one of your Harlequin Romances, "Captive Lover" and enjoyed it so much! I'm really looking forward to the release of your new book! It must have been fun doing research for the book by watching the "Wuthering Heights" movies. I loved the Laurence Olivier and Timothy Dalton versions. :)
I'm so happy you stopped by this blog!

Lisa Richards/alterlisa said...

If the storyline hadn't intrigued me so much, the cover definitely would have me hunting this book down. A look-a-like MacSteamy cover model would have had me taking this book home with me any day.

(\___/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

lidia said...

I had trouble with my laptop -- nasty virus on it. Finally got it cleaned up -- too late to welcome Kate here. I can't wait to read "Return of the Stranger."

Lucy, my friends were in Italy at the same time as you. I wonder if your paths crossed at any time.