Monday, August 08, 2011

Wolves, Warriors & Dragons...Oh My!

By now, most of you know that my next Children of the Moon book is going to have a dragon shifter for the primary hero.  

Yep, an uber sexy Highlander who is both prince of his people and simple clan member.  How does that work?  I hate to be snarky, but you'll have to read the book to find out. ;-)  Taran is willing to sacrifice everything for the good of the Éan, but it's not so clear whether he'll be able to do what it takes for love.

I fell in love with dragons a good 20 years ago when I read my first book in the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey, Dragonflight.  She created an amazing world in which dragons were neither evil, nor were they stupid.  They didn't hoard treasure, or eat virgins.  In a word?  They were cool!

I honestly never thought I'd get to write a dragon book...it just didn't fit with my view of the kind of stories open to me, but I was happily, oh so happily wrong!

Not only was Berkley very okay with me bringing a dragon in as a hero, my editor suggested it before I had the chance.

Finding inspiration for Taran's character wasn't easy...I had to look for both that perfect hero archetype and a well...a dragon.  A red dragon, to be precise.  This lovely specimen is not exactly as I see *my* dragon, but he's as close as I found looking through hundreds of images on the web.
by Brueh at http://brueh.deviantart.com


Writing about a creature that is surrounded by so much lore is both a lot of fun and huge challenge.  I've done almost as much research on dragons as I have on the realities of the medieval period in which I write.  Thankfully for my sanity and my characters' hygiene, I am allowed to create mores for my shifters that might not have been as common among their human counterparts back in the day.  Which is not to say that people never bathed in the middle ages.  They did, but they also used animal and human waste in ways we would find wholly objectionable to our noses today.  But that's a topic for another blog, and probably not one written by me.


I am also allowed to take some license with my dragon, seeing as how he is part human as well.  He's a warrior, but not a marauder.  He casts fire to kill, but only when necessary and he's amazingly sexy.  Well, with the Rock is his inspiration...how could he not be?


Dwayne Johnson in "The Scorpion King"


His love interest?  A beautiful femwolf whose brother he killed.  Sound like they're going to have some *interesting* interactions?  They so do! LOL She's no pushover and he's oh so alpha.  It's a match made in Heaven, or it will be once they both figure it out.


The writing is going well and quickly, even though for the first time in my career, I'm working on two books at once.  The last few years have been tough and last year the toughest, putting me so far behind, I simply don't have a choice.  But ask me if I mind?


I don't.  I love doing what I do and feel so incredibly blessed to have the support of really great editors and amazing publishers and readers who patiently wait for me to come out of my grief so I can start sharing my stories and myself with them again.  Thank you!


Now, it's your turn to share...what is your favorite dragon story, or author who writes them?


Hugs,
Lucy
http://www.lucymonroe.com/
http://www.facebook.com/LucyMonroe.Romance


12 comments:

Dannyfiredragon said...

OMG, I can't wait to hear more about your dragon hero. You know I am a huge dragon fan. Angela Knight and Bianca D'arc wrote some great dragons stories, but everything started with the Dragonlance saga by Tracy Hickman and Margret Weiß

Judy said...

"But that's a topic for another blog, and probably not one written by me." LOL!

My first memory of dragons is Smaug, in The Hobbit, or maybe it was Puff. Life happened, and I walked away from all things magical. I took a step back when I started reading paranormals with werewolves and have slowly widened that circle. I love the dragon in Kathryne Kennedy's "The Fire-Lord's Lover."

catslady said...

Thanks for the pic :) First thing that comes to mind is the movie Dragonheart with Sean Connery as the dragon's voice. Makes me cry every time.

Judy said...

Oh, yes! Loved Dragonheart! Well, the dragon anyway.

Jane said...

I can't think of any dragon shifter stories that I have read.

Lucy Monroe said...

LOL Danny...I never would have guessed. ;-) I love Angela Knight's writing too!

Judy...seriously, I may have to read about it for research, but that doesn't mean I have to write about it.

Castslady...I've never seen it, but I keep thinking I need to. Of course, if it's gonna make me cry...maybe not. ;-)

Jane...there aren't as many as say werewolves or vampires, but there are some out there. :)

girlygirlhoosier52 said...

McCaffrey's Dragons of Pern really took hold of me!

catslady said...

How could I forget the dragons in Katheryne's Elven series!! She's my newest found author!!

Lucy Monroe said...

Girlygirl...don't they? Anne's still got it, though I haven't read any of the stories written by or collaborated on with her son. I think I need to. :)

Catslady...don't you just love discovering new authors? My sister has a new YA author she's going to loan me the books from when she's done. Regency wizards...how cool is that?

Virginia said...

I do love dragons and also the Rock, my son was always into dragons. He used to have to have one on all of his shirts.

Di said...

Dragons & The Rock - what an image! Anne McCaffrey was the first Dragon book I read. Her son worked in my office (this was years ago) & she was coming in one day. So I went out & got the Dragonriders of Pern, but I was too shy to go up to her in the cafeteria.

Sherry said...

Angela Knight's Dragons are great. Patricia Briggs' Dragon Bones and Dragon Blood are fantastic as well.