Friday, August 12, 2011

Catch the Buzz...



What would happen if a few hundred authors/readers teamed up, formed an on-line book of the month club, chose the book from their very own membership, and promoted each other? Great things.

Where did this idea come from? From a poor experience I had when I joined a book club on Twitter. Sounded like fun, but they started reading three days after the book was chosen. Not nearly enough time to get a copy. When I complained (gently) the club told me I should have either done an ebook or gone to the library. Not possible and not very friendly either. That got me thinking. If I ran a book club I'd give everyone enough time to get their books.

Also, some New York best seller sold another 90 books. No big deal to him/her. But to someone like me, it would be a very big deal. If I ran a book club I wouldn't use big time authors, I'd only use…our own member's books. A book club that uses traditionally pubbed, self pubbed, PODs, or e-pubs? Unheard of.

The membership will vote each month from four books that will be chosen by lottery from all who submit. There will be nine romance categories, one a month, with room for other cats if there is a demand.

On June 17th I published a website, www.ibookbuzz.com, and started emailing authors and RWA chapters one at a time. Two months later, I have 207 members. And it's growing every day.

Our first category is Contemporary and we're due to start reading September 1st. Come and join the fun. Imagine, YOUR book could get to be a book of the month selection.

¸.•´ ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´(¸.• (¸.•´¸¸.•¨¯`•.¸¸.♥

Jody
Founder of iBuzzBooks
http://www.ibookbuzz.com/

4 comments:

Judy said...

What a great idea, Lucy. I'm in. I know a few people who would be interested in something like this, too. I like that it's so low key. Some months are simply a wash and nothing extra is accomplished, and the book club looks like it will have the flexibility. Thanks!

Maria said...

Great idea! Thanks for the link

Jane said...

It does sound like a great idea.

Virginia said...

This does sound like a good idea! I have never joined a book club before.