Tuesday, May 04, 2010

RT Booklovers Convention 2010

RT was amazing. In some ways truly inspiring (talking to readers is always a huge blessing for me), in some ways nerve wracking (there were A LOT of people) and in other ways, the convention was just plain fun.

We arrived on Sunday with the hopes of spending time with our long term Korean host student, Hoonmo. (Very much like a son to us.) We managed a 2 hour dinner. Sigh... College kids! They're still teenagers at first. ;-) It gave us plenty of time to get ready for the conference and decompress before people started arriving. Although Tuesday, I got sussed out. I had breakfast with Karla (a reader) and she told on me to Lora Leigh, who called and convinced me to come visit her (in my pajamas no less) that night. I ended up in JoCarol's suite with the RT prep team (yes, still in my PJs). LOL

Wednesday there was plenty going on for the conference and I ran into old friends, online pals I had not yet met and lots of readers! It started with the Welcome Party which included a memorial for Kate Duffy, which I participated in. It was hard and yet a celebration of her life that was entirely appropriate. Later, I trekked forth to procure you all goodies! The line for the goody bags was insane, but Hubcap and I perservered. I had a fangirl moment as Stephani Hecht was in line with me and I love her books. :) I attended Debra Parmley's "Yoga at Your Desk" and Marilyn Kelly's "Eleven Senses - Who Knew?" - both amazing workshops.

Thursday was so jampacked, most of it is a blur. I was on the Multiplatform Publishing panel in the morning with Arrow Publications, Chrissy from Samhain and Liz Schier from B&N (I want a Nook!!!) - all of whom were not only brilliant, but incredibly nice. I had lunch with Donna Grant and her husband, as well as a few others we managed to drag along. :) She's so incredibly sweet and what a writer! I met my new editor at Kensington (Alicia Condon) and my not so new agent (Ethan Ellenberg) face-to-face for the first time. Both meetings were fantastic! After taking pictures at the Awards Ceremony, Hubcap joined Alicia and I for dinner and came up with a set of titles for my new Atrati series for Brava. Very cool! You are going to love them!

Friday started of with a bang and the Top 10 Dead Sexiest Heroes panel I put together (Dianne Castell, Sylvia Day, Erin McCarthy, LuAnn Maclane & me). We laughed, we played games, we threw prizes out into the group of attendees. We had a blast! I met up with Cissy from Writerspace, Dianne Castell & Rosemary Laurey for lunch. Another great time with truly lovely people!
My afternoon panel, Paranormal: the Melting Pot was interesting. I was the only paranormal romance author on a panel of Urban Fantasy writers discussing straddling the genres. Can you say odd man out without cracking a smile? I think this picture sums it up quite nicely. LOL

That night, I got stood up for dinner, not once, not twice, but by three different friends I had made plans and subsequent plans with. I got worried my deoderant had stopped working! But another friend showed up (Debra Parmley) and we had a really relaxing dinner at Max & Erma's with Hubcap. Just goes to show how incredibly busy and insane RT really gets. ;-)

Saturday I had a reader breakfast and then the huge Book Fair, where I sold out of all three titles they stocked for me and met dozens of readers who lifted me up and gave me great memories to pull out when the writing gets rough. Afterward, I had another reader get together, this one with Lori Foster and Kate Davies as well. We ate at the Pope's table and shared wonderful Italian food family style. I met up with more readers and Rosemary Laurey again upon my return to the hotel, but eventually made a much needed escape to my room where I vegged and watched Taken for the second time. Love that movie!

Sunday, I chatted more with readers, said some final goodbyes, did the souvenir shopping for the kids and headed home. It was a long and wonderful week, but I'm not sure when I'll be up to repeating it. ;-)

~ ~ ~ ~
To see more pictures from RT 2010, visit my Facebook group page or MySpace.
~ ~ ~ ~
I'm guest blogging about my mom on CataRomance. She's my hero. Stop by if you have a minute. :)

And I've got a guest blog about my Top 10 Dead Sexiest Heroes panel at RT on the RT Booklovers website.
~ ~ ~ ~
This week I'm giving away two prizes from blog comments. One is a goody bag from RT and the other is the swag bag from the Kensington Morning Mixer. :) All you have to do to enter in the drawing is comment on any of the posts from this week.

57 comments:

Carol L. said...

Hi Lucy,
Great pictures. It sounds like you were on the move constantly and had a fantastic time.Thanks for sharing your week. :)
Carol L.
Lucky4750@aol.com

Tamsyn said...

Love the pics too. Sounds like you have a really great time. Thanks for sharing.

Judy said...

Startlingly odd man out. LOL!! What an amazing event! Thanks for sharing it with all of us who couldn't attend.

Natasha A. said...

That looks like so much fun! I really do hope I can attend one year!!

Lucy Monroe said...

Carol L. & Tamsyn...I did have a wonderful time and I'm so glad you enjoyed hearing about the week. :)

Judy...wasn't that funny? I couldn't believe how perfect the picture was when I saw it uploaded to the computer. ;-)

Natasha...perhaps if it's ever within driving distance of your home, you'll be able to do at least the one day event on Saturday. I think that can really be worth it.

Laurie D. said...

Great pics, Lucy! Lunch was great fun, wasn't it? I can't wait for your next visit to Ohio!

Robin K said...

Thank you for sharing the pictures. I wish I could have gone to RT. Someday I will!

red said...

Great pictures- I saw all of them on Facebook last night.

It sounds like you had a very busy week but a fun week!

I wish I'll be able to attend a conference one day- I need to plan my next visit to the US according to RT conference dates LOL

Moran

Linda Henderson said...

What a jam-packed convention. It sounds like everyone had a great time. Love the pictures.I bet it was great to meet fellow authors that you admire. Maybe someday I'll make it to one.

seriousreader at live dot com

Michele said...

Wow, what a busy, but fun week you had. Thanks for sharing your pictures, looks like it was a sold out crowd.

Thank you so much for sharing, one day I will be there :)

PS: How is your back feeling?

Lucy Monroe said...

Laurie...it was great fun! I'll be at Lori & Dianne's get together in 2011...not so long. :)

Robin, Moran, Linda & Michele...it is a wonderful convention and worth attending at least once if you can make it happen. It's expensive, but they keep you hopping from 8:30 in the morning until after midnight on some of the days. I don't do the evening stuff (too draining), but the parties are amazing!

My back is doing incredibly well; thanks for asking, Michele. :)

Kate Davies said...

RT was amazing, overwhelming, and discombobulated for me. I was off-schedule for EVERYTHING - I showed up late for panels (thankfully, as an audience member, not a panelist), I mixed up days, I read the RT program schedule wrong every single time. It's a wonder I made it to my flight on time! But overall it was a wonderful experience, and I'm so glad we got to have lunch together on Saturday. What a fabulous group of women! Hugs to you!

Amanda said...

thank you so much for the RAH con. and all the pics! makes me feel like I was there

Booklover1335 said...

Thank you for sharing the pics and commentary about the RT conference. It makes all of us who were not able to attend feel not left out so much :)

Glad you had such a great time!

Valerie said...

Wow, I'm exhausted after reading that. How could you pack so much into a week and I'm sure this is just the highlights! I'm glad you had such a great time! Get some rest and relaxation this week. :)

Lucy Monroe said...

LOL Kate...I just kept getting lost - in the same place, turning around the wrong way over and over again. Sigh...I need a building GPS - with voice! It was so great seeing you! Did you see your pics at the award ceremony? I tagged you on FB. DQ said to tell you she loved your dress. ;)

Amanda and Booklover, I'm so happy to share my experience. It makes it more real for me to bring it home too. :)

Valerie...I need a vacation, but I've got Moon Burning due on May 10 - I'm cracking the whip on myself for the writing!

runner10 said...

Sounds like you had a blast at the convention. I enjoyed the pics.

Terri said...

Hello Lucy,
Love the pictures. Sounds like you had an awesome time. Thanks for sharing and for the RAH.

Rebecca Ringler said...

I had fun just attending the booksigning & the lunch, but it would have been fun to attend some of the other events!

erahime said...

It looks like you have GREAT fun, Lucy! Hectic but still fun, right?

Sherry said...

I've always wanted to go to a Booklovers Convention maybe I'll get to in a few years. I think I would be in heaven meeting some of my favorite authors. It looks like you had a lot of fun.

sstrode@scrtc.com

etirv said...

Thanks for sharing the photos and also for making the RT convention exciting for us at home!

robynl said...

wow Lucy, you have just made it more appealing than ever to try to make it one of these years to a convention. I like the mention of free goodies, meeting new people/authors from on-line, and attending parties.
Thanks so much for the giveaways and for sharing.

Judy F said...

Hey Lucy it was wonderful to see you Saturday. You made my day by noticing that I had lost some weight. I am trying LOL.

Thanks so much for doing lunch it was wonderful. I can't wait to see your smiling face again.

Smooched

Lady_Graeye said...

Hi Lucy!
What a fun-packed week you had! I admire your energy level. You have some great pictures. I wish I could have went! Get some rest so you can get geared up for your next adventure.

Jane said...

Looks like everyone had a great time.

Stacy S said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time. It's great that your family could be there with you too.

Carol Burge said...

Wow, sounds like a very fun and BUSY weekend! Wish I could of made it. Maybe next time. :) Thank goodness for all the blogs and photos, though! Loved your post & pics, Lucy.

Thanks for sharing!

ladybirdrobi said...

Lucy,
Thanks so much for sharing, who knows maybe someday they will come to my local area and I can find someone to do my night driving. If not then I'll attend your annual RAH convention for those of us who can't attend.

Robin S
Robbibird3@aol.com

Barbarita V said...

great pictures! Lookslike you had a good time.

s7anna said...

Thanks for posting all these great pics and talking about your visit...I feel like I got transported to the convention.

hugs,
Anna
s7anna@yahoo.ca

lidia said...

Lucy,

From the pictures it looks like you had a great time! I am sure that you are glad that you attended.

Lisa F. said...

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I know you have to be exhausted. Everybody talks about how busy and crowded RT is, that must be the conference to be at.

Beth said...

Looks and sounds like you had a lot of fun at RT. Would love to be able to go myself. Maybe if I start saving right now, I might be able to go to the one next year.

Lucy Monroe said...

It was wonderful and seeing some of you was truly the highlight for me! :)

RT is worth going and doing at least the one day option at some point - but once you've gone once, you'll be hooked. :)

Danny said...

Great pictures, Lucy. Wish I would have been there, too.

CrystalGB said...

Great pics. Sounds like you had a wonderful time at the convention.

cindy said...

Hi Lucy thanks for sharing your time with us. I loved hearing about your adventure and loved seeing the pics. Keep writing and stay well. :)

Patti said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting pics! I really wanted to go this year so I'm thrilled so many people are posting pics! It looks like everyone had a great time!

pspinney at cox dot net

Barbara said...

Hey Lucy-

Thanks forsharing your experiences at RT. Sounds like you had a blast. I was supposed to make the lunch on Saturday but was too sick to make the trip. Very Bummed about that. Hope you will be back to Ohio sometime soon and that I can catch up with you then.

TeaGee said...

The photos are all wonderful and it looks like you had an awesome time. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I'm not so happy with crowds, but I'd totally get over that to attend one sometime and get to meet amazing authors and women such as yourself. Thanks again for letting us live vicariously! :D

Pamk said...

sounds like you had an exhausting and fabulous week. I am so envious. I swear one of these years I'm going to the whole shindig.

Lucy Monroe said...

Thanks, gals! It really is an amazing experience. :)

Barbara, I missed seeing you - but in 2011, I will be at Lori & Dianne's get together in Cincinnati. :) I can't do this year, but am so looking forward to next!

flchen1 said...

Oh my, Lucy! What a packed week! I'm glad we got to experience a little of it vicariously through you! Thanks for sharing the photos and the summaries! What a blessing to be surrounded by other readers and writers!

Kate Davies said...

Yes! I saw the pictures - thank hubcap again for taking them! (Mind if I borrow a couple? LOL)

And I'm thrilled that my dress passed the DQ fashion test. Seriously. It's the next best thing to having her there when I shop. I'm glad it passed muster! :)

And it was great to see you too, brief though it was. What an amazing week!

Jan said...

I went to my first (and so far only) RT in Daytona and it is definitely non-stop.

Glad you had a great time and thanks for the pictures.

Ina said...

wow, that looks like a lot of fun :)
thanks for sharing!
greetings, Ina

Amy said...

It looks like you had so much fun. I hope to get to go to a RT convention some day

Mariee said...

Looks like a lot of fun :) Great pictures!

Nichole said...

Looks like you had a great time. Wish I could have been there. But the RAH conference was great.

Lucy Monroe said...

It *was* ana amazing week and it was made even more fun by being able to share it with you all! :)

Hugs,
Lucy

Cathy M said...

Sounds totally wild, Lucy. I imagine that rubbing shoulders with all those authors and readers really helps keep you inspired.

Your dh must be a very special kind of man to fit in so well, and be such a good sport.

limecello said...

Hi Lucy - so nice to meet you at RT! :) Also glad I got to stop by your blog and read your recap posts.

sonya said...

Awesome pictures Lucy. Sorry I missed the breakfast but loved the signing and our wonderful lunch.
You Rock

Juliet said...

Great pictures, Lucy! I can tell that you had a great time, and it's really nice of you to share your experiences.

Lucy Monroe said...

Cathy M...he so is! Thanks! :) ~ Limecello...ditto! :) ~ Huggggsss...Sonya! ~ Juliet, it really is more fun to share it than to simply store it in my memory banks. :)

WK said...

Great pictures! Sounds like such a great time!!!

hugs,
WendyK