Thursday, April 29, 2010

A New Publishing Venture by Karen Van der Zee

READERS, HARK! Here’s good news: A group of multi-published authors recently launched AWritersWork.com, an authors-owned site that offers books in e-book format at relative low prices.

AWritersWork.com publishes books in various genres and categories – romance, suspense, women’s fiction, short-story anthologies, non-fiction and more. You’ll find newly released back-lists, as well as original fiction and non-fiction.

It’s a jungle out there in the book publishing world and it’s becoming ever more difficult to navigate for writers and readers alike. Readers are often frustrated because they can’t find back-list titles of their favorite authors, and authors often have no way to get them to their readers other than placing them on commercial e-book sites and leaving behind a large percentage of the sales price.

Writers love to write stories. They also need to make a living. Like other mortals, they have to eat a meal now and then. They have mortgages and kids to put through college. So a group of professional authors got together and came up with the idea of launching their own site to sell their books, out-of-print titles as well as new work.

The AWW site itself is designed to be self-sustaining, not to make profit like commercial e-publishers. After expenses for the website and costs associated with selling, income from sales goes to the author. This is good for the author, obviously. It’s good for the reader because we can now keep prices lower than the ones on the sites of commercial e-book publishers. To keep the quality of the books high, participation in the site is by invitation only, and only commercially published authors are considered for participation. All authors retain the rights to their work. All works are protected by copyright laws.

Getting the site off the ground was quite a safari and the leader of our launching tribe, Patricia McLinn deserves laud and praise for all her efforts.

AWritersWork.com is a work in progress. More authors have expressed their interest and the site will grow and more books will be offered as time goes on. So have a look around and see if there’s something of interest for you there. And come back often!

And to add a little shameless self-promotion, here are my two titles for sale on the site: THE PRICE OF A MAN, a light-hearted contemporary romance, an original AWW publication & You’re Moving WHERE?!, a humorous non-fiction book about the authors (mis)adventures living in foreign countries, an original AWW publication.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Karen van der Zee is the globetrotting author of 34 romance novels published by Harlequin Books, many of them set in exotic locations. As Miss Footloose she writes about her (mis)adventures living in foreign countries on her blog LIFE IN THE EXPAT LANE.

48 comments:

erahime said...

Bravo, authors!!!!! *applause*

You have a site owned by authors, selling books by said authors, and bar the expenses, the profit goes to the authors.

I say: Well done!

Karen van der Zee said...

Yes, we are very excited about it too! The site is a work in progress, but we feel good about being able to give our fans and new readers opportunities to find our books at low prices.

WK said...

Wow! I am checking out the site now!

hugs,
WendyK

Valerie said...

How cool is that!! I'm going to have to check this out and save it to my favorites! :)

sonya said...

Awesome now I have another site to shop for great books woohooo. I don't the hubby is going to be happy about it but what he doesn't know won't kill him and I makes me very happy. lol

Karen van der Zee said...

It's great to see all your enthusiasm! The books are available in e-book format, but een if you don't have an e-reader, you can get them on your computer. Time for dinner here in my part of the country. Back later!

Karen van der Zee said...

And I forgot to plug my own book -- I'm a terrible business person!

Are you adventurous? Do you love to travel? Then you'll love my book that is for sale on the site, the one that has the cover up on the blog:

You're Moving WHERE?!

I'm ALWAYS asked this question when I pack up once more to go to ... Africa, Asia, the Middle East... But I love it!

Check it out on www.AWritersWork.com

Janet H said...

What a great idea! I checked out the site. It's easy to read and navigate. Looks great, too!

nmulder81 said...

Sounds like a awesome idea! I will be checking it out shortly!

s7anna said...

The website sounds like a great place to check out...will head on over and check it out. I like that the authors have more control over the selling of their books...very cool.

hugs,
Anna

etirv said...

Thanks for bring AWritersWork to our attention! Really cool!

Helen Scott Taylor said...

Your site sounds like a great idea. Good luck with it!

Katy M said...

Gotta agree with erahime here: Bravo!!

I love supporting authors I love! Buying books directly from the author makes perfect sense. I am so bookmarking your site :)

Sherry said...

Sounds like a great site to visit and get some books. I'm adding it to my favorites so that I don't forget about it later.

sstrode@scrtc.com

Karen van der Zee said...

Hope all of you find what you are looking for at our site! Keep coming back, since new books and authors will be added to the site as time goes by!

trudy said...

Thank you for the heads up on the site, I love the chance to support the authors directly. My e-reader says thank you too.

Nancy G said...

I have got to go check the site out! I am so frustrated at the way readers are being jerked around by the publishes, I'm ready to scream. Thank you for a new and welcome alternative.

Lillie said...

That site is a brilliant idea!

LDee said...

Karen, A great site. Really easy to move around in. A definite site to bookmark.

Lavada Dee

Marilyn Shoemaker said...

Great post and like so many here, I'm going to check out the site. Thanks.

LM's Drama Queen said...

What a cool site! Let's go check it out guys, it sounds like there's some goodies to be found!

XOX
~*DQ*~

Karen van der Zee said...

Have fun looking at the site! The first chapters of the book are free to read, so you can get an idea if you'd like to read the rest. How, I wouldn't mind if you'd check out the first chapters of my two books on the site?

Anyone ever lived in Ramallah, Palestine? The first chapter of my book You're Moving WHERE?! will give you an idea of what it was like for me when I first moved there. And to reassure you, I had a nice time there.

Lucy Monroe said...

Karen...you know I'm totally thrilled by this venture and it sounds like readers are equally ecstatic! :) Thanks so much for joining us at the RAH Conf and chatting about it. :) You do get to see the most interesting things in your globetrotting life!

Karen van der Zee said...

Thanks Lucy! And you know, here's something else for free: Stories of my globetrotting life posted on my blog

www.lifeintheexpatlane.blogspot.com

And the story up right now is how I was arrested and on my way to an African bush jail.

As you can tell, I lived to write about it!

Have fun a the conference, Lucy!

Maria said...

Thanks for sharing the information Karen- it will be interesting to see how the site progresses...I have looked at it before and will continue to look at it until I find something I like. I like the idea of the author making the lion's share of profit as it is their work

runner10 said...

Good idea.

Natasha A. said...

Very cool! Thank you!

Karen van der Zee said...

Thanks for all your enthusiasm! I hope you'll be happy with what our site www.AWritersWork.comhas to offer.

Happy Reading!

Andrea Becraft said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing with us!

robynl said...

wow, congrats on this site; low prices always speak to me, lol.
I must check it out.

Linda Henderson said...

Thank you for sharing the information on this site. I'll make sure and tell my reading friends about this site.

seriousreader at live dot com

Raonaid Luckwell said...

I applaud you, gonna check the link out in just a bit

Sue A. said...

It's about time, great idea! Checking it out now!

zina seawitch6464@yahoo.com said...

I'm not sure how to detrermine if sites are writer owned. I know the big boys like Borders, Amazon, eHarlequin, but what about sites like ARE, Elora's Cave and MBam, etc. are they writer owned? I kinda thought they were, but perhaps not?
Zina

Rebecca Ringler said...

Very interesting concept. I haven't tried ebooks yet, but the books I buy sure do get worn out. I like the reminder that you authors are people, too w/ bills to pay, etc.

Cathy M said...

Thanks for the link, I will definitely check it out.

donnas said...

Thanks for letting us know about the site. And Good Luck to you with it in the future.

Rhea said...

What a great idea! I will be looking into the site. Can't wait to see what goodies I can find.

Refhater said...

Thanks for the link.

flchen1 said...

Wow--this sounds like an exciting venture, Karen! Thanks for letting us know about this--I'm excited to check it out!

Jane said...

I love the low prices of the books and it's great that you can read the first chapter before buying.

Lady_Graeye said...

I like it! This is very exciting! Authors, books, great prices and sales going to the authors. Now that's the way it should be! Way to go! I do like it!

Margay said...

This sounds like an interesting venture. I will have to check it out.
Margay

Carol L. said...

Hi Karen,
A fantastic idea. I 'm going to check it out when I leave here. I wish much success in this site.
Carol L.
Lucky4750@aol.com

Pamk said...

if they can get them out timely and they are well written and edited/proofed I think this would be a great way for authors to make some money. I know I've bought some books for some of the ebook pubs and there was one or two in paritcular that i offered to spellcheck/proof for them cause some the books I got was lousy with errors.

Nichole said...

Thank you for the new site info. I have to go check it out now. I'm a little envious of everyone who gets to travel so much, but at the same time I would be terrified of African bush jails. Is there more on that story at your website?

Armenia said...

That is amazing. I will check out the web. Thank you.

lrwirum said...

yay another place to get books.
:-) I am going to have to check out the site. :-)

Larena