Tuesday, April 06, 2010

My Scary-Good Day - Update after Surgery

Okay, I was going to have Hubcap do this, but I couldn't resist. :) A couple of hours ago - I could have, but the nausea has finally subsided. :) I hate narcotic pain meds. Just saying...

Let's see, we started the day rather nicely waking early enough to take my last long soak in a bathtub for a full month (I'm such a bath baby - this is huge to me lol). Went to wake the son up and managed to trip my walker, sending it crashing onto the top of my foot. Um...a bruise immediately started to form the size of a goose egg upward but in a perfect 2x1.5 rectangle of lovely blues and purples.

I wore a mumu and my Scottish tartan shawl (the Sinclair colors if you read Children of the Moon books by me). I was stylin'...um, so NOT. LOL I smelled like clove oil and was limping along in my slippers as I could not get regular shoes over my newly wounded foot. (I'm so graceful!)

Arrived at the surgical center on time and was checked in by the sweetest woman. Her smile immediately settled nerves that had tried to rise again. Hubcap was there, and then my second-oldest sister and her son arrived to pray over me. What a blessing! Shortly after DQ, BQ, Sly and Miss Sparklepants came in. They were all there to support and encourage and pray for me. I can't tell you how blessed I felt by this. The love surrounding me was amazing. :) (Einstein stayed home as he does not do well with hospitals even if they are surgery centers.) My mom and other sisters were all with me in spirit and I could feel their prayers and love too.

The staff at the surgical center were absolutely wonderful. The nurses and technicians were so darn nice from beginning to end, blessing me in every way and encouraging Hubcap to stay with me right until they wheeled me off to surgery. I'm still in awe of a neurosurgeon and anasthesioligist that would reorganize their schedule to get me in so quickly! Everyone was so amazingly kind and helped me overcome my nerves.

I managed to burst the blood pressure cuff - what can I say? I'm talented. And my veins tried rebelling at the I.V. - but they got that handled and I got anesthisized and don't remember anything after until I woke without a twitch of pain in my thigh. Pain meds made sure I wasn't feeling anything in my back either. It was lovely. So, so, so lovely!

The surgeon called my "discectomy" impressive and the anasthesiologist said I had a world class herniation. That's right, "World Class." He'd never seen such a large one removed. My girls tried to tell me this was not a good thing, but I take my awards where I can get them. I'm sticking with the World Class distinction. LOL

We're giving my foot 48 hours in hopes the swelling will disappear and it is not broken - but sitting on an x-ray table is not in the cards at present. I've stopped pain meds and muscle relaxers as I cannot stand the nausea they induce. I'm also not taking ibuprofin as it gives me terrible heartburn and makes me feel like ants are crawling under my skin. I discovered I'd been overdosing dangerously on acetomenophin so am off that as well. I'd make a lousy drug addict...I'm just saying. ;)

Forgot the one truly ugly blot on today...had the mother of all migraines and managed to throw up my first Imitrex, but still had to wait to take another for several hours for safety sake. It has taken two additional doses, but the the migraine is gone. Yippee!

Am in some pain. Cannot be sure I'll make it online again tomorrow, but I really wanted you all to know I'm doing well and the surgery was a huge success!Hugs and blessings,Lucy

26 comments:

Beth said...

Had a migraine the day of my surgery too. Must have something to do with the anesthesia. But, not having an inconveniently injured foot, I was allowed to go home the next day around noon. As soon as they were sure I could make it to the bathroom on my own. Luckily both my mom and my youngest daughter live with me, so I had a lot of help.
Hope you feel better soon.

host said...

Hope you'll feel better soon!

CrystalGB said...

Hi Lucy. I hope you have a speedy recovery from your surgery and your foot gets well quickly. :)

Judy said...

Thanks for the update, Lucy!! Glad it went reasonably well, all things considered. Now, GET BETTER! ;-D (I don't handle drugs well, either. No surgery for my disk, because I don't go under, like a normal person. Gotta love bein' special.) :-)

Jenna Bayley-Burke said...

Narcotics can induce migraines. I didn't know this until my pharmacist explained how it worked when I was in my medication fog. Totally made sense at the time!

And...you'll always be World Class to me, even though you're all fixed up :D

LDee said...

Thanks for letting us know. Wishing you a very speedy complete recovery.

Laurie Ryan said...

Ah, Lucy, I'm so glad the leg/thigh pain is gone. That's such a good sign! And a huge relief, I am quite sure. I don't normally say this, but I'm so happy you got to have surgery yesterday.
And I don't know many people who could manage to blog the night after a world class herniation fix. Wow. You are amazing!

Ina said...

I hope you get well soon Lucy :)

Lucy Monroe said...

Thank you all so much! Your comments are such a blessing to me and Judy I am so sorry you don't go under. I know another friend like you and it makes life really hard in situaions like this.

And just FYI - the foot *is* definitely getting better. No longer having an issue walking on it, so looks like it is just bruised. Thank you, God!

Hugs and blessings to you all!

Stacy S said...

So glad all went well! Hope you start to feel better soon.

Kait Nolan said...

Yeesh! Honey, I hope you feel better soon!

Kimberly Fisk said...

Lucy, I don't know how you do it. Goodness, barely out of surgery and blogging. Please take care of yourself!!!

s7anna said...

Oh boy...I'm so glad that the surgery went well...I hope you feel waay better soon and up to no good in no time at all ;-)

hugs,
Anna

Danica/Dream said...

So glad you're doing well and can't wait to hear you've made a full recovery!

Jane said...

Glad to hear the surgery went well. Have a speedy recovery.

Sherry said...

I'm glad that everything went fine with your surgery and I hope you feel better soon.

sstrode@scrtc.com

Michele said...

So glad everything went well for you Lucy. You have an awesome support group :)

Jami Davenport said...

Lucy, I'm so glad you're doing well and your foot and back are recovering. Congratulations on being World Class. I think you get the Olympic Gold Medal myself. Hang in there, get well soon. Love ya.

Lucy Monroe said...

Uber hugs to all of you! :) Thank you!!! I've been so very encouraged by everyone's support and kind words...it's really helped me keep up a positive mental attitude. :)

Judy F said...

Hey Lucy I am so glad it all went well for you. Will keep you in my prayers.

Leigh D'Ansey said...

So glad you're on the mend, Lucy. Take care.

lidia said...

Lucy,

Hope that you are up and about very soon!

Lucy Monroe said...

Thanks, everyone! The lack of pain medication is making things more challenging as my body gets to serious healing, but I am ever looking up and outward. :)

GladysMP said...

Boy, what an experience you had. Puts mine in perspective, but I am having one, too. I was working in the yard, digging up that obnoxious weed Oxalis around a tree and using a sharpshooter to get up those nodules. The sharpshooter kept hitting buried tree roots, but I didn't realize I was doing a number on my back. Been in pain for over a week, especially every time I have to bend up or down. Man, every move one makes uses one's back. Hubby keeps threatening to take me to a doctor, but I keep praying I get better before that has to happen. It isn't any fun, believe me. Hope you are better soon,too.

Maggie Jaimeson said...

I'm so glad you are recovering and that the constant pain will soon be only a past nightmare. My husband had this same surgery over 18 years ago and he is still going strong. So, I figure if you get 18-20 years out of yours you will be extremely happy.

Sending more healing prayers and light your way to keep you getting stronger every day.

Lucy Monroe said...

Gladys...hugs on your back pain - hoping it is better now!

Thanks so much for sharing that, Maggie...I love the HEA stories after surgery. ;-)