Thursday, April 29, 2010

Magic by Gabi Stevens

Have you ever wished you could solve your problems with a wave of a wand?

Sounds simple, right? But have you considered what having powers would mean? Would you want to advertise your abilities and then be swamped with requests from your neighbors? Or worse, maybe be taken by the government for use in experiments (that is if you believe in conspiracy theories--hey, it’s something to consider)?

That’s why the magic in my book, The Wish List, comes with rules. When Kristin Montgomery discovers her three aunts are fairy godmothers and she’s next in line for the job, her orderly life as a CPA disappears like magic. No, not like magic; it is magic. Moreover, her sudden magic powers come with a reluctant arbiter who will judge if she’s qualified to be the next godmother. That’s pressure she didn’t need.

The Arcani (those are the humans with magic) live among the Groundlings (the humans without magic) and try to keep their abilities and society secret. Let’s face it; you wouldn’t want your neighbor stopping by at the first sign of spring to zap their lawn ready for the season as a favor. But in my world, nothing comes without a cost. I can’t picture magic being as easy as, say, breathing. Even walking, which we do everyday, does require energy and calories (Speaking as someone who just recently started walking to work, one mile in each direction, I’m huffing and puffing by the time I get home, but hey, it’s all uphill, and I haven’t exercised in a couple of years. I have other excuses. You want to hear them?). And while walking can become easy, what happens if you have to run? Or swim? Or play basketball? In my world, you have to build up your magical muscles as well as your regular ones, and the bigger the spell, the more energy it takes. And if you’re a beginner, you won’t be able to do much. Even if you’re a Rare One. Like Kristin.

But the idea of having powers is something I can totally relate to. No, I’m not claiming magical powers, but when I was a child I always played games where I had powers. And I always read books where magic played a role. Those were my favorites. Books like the Prydain series by Lloyd Alexander, Half Magic and its series by Edward Eager, Escape to Witch Mountain by Alexander Key, The Phoenix and the Carpet and all the other books by E. Nesbitt, the entire Oz series by L Frank Baum, and so many more. When I turned to writing paranormal, those are the books I remembered. While I love the darker paranormals--the vampires and werewolves--my heart lies in another direction.

Although my books are fiction, I have to share with you magic I have witnessed and experienced in the real world. When I'm writing, I always doubt that I can fill one page much less the thirteen through twenty that constitute a chapter. Even when I know what's going to happen, I doubt that the finished product will have enough pages to complete a novel, especially since I am a short writer to begin with (And that has nothing to do with height). And then I start writing. Basically I'm just describing the pictures in my head and transcribing the dialogue I hear there. Not that it's a smooth and easy process. Sometimes the "film" breaks, or the projectionist takes a break, or the film is fed into the machine (Yes, this is old fashioned stuff here--no DVD's) incorrectly so the film isn't clear or runs ratchety. But the pages grow, and I am always amazed by how much I get on paper. Soon I worry that I'm going to overrun the chapter by five or six pages, because there's always so much more to tell. But eventually it always works out and my novel is complete and just the right length.

I call this the Magic. The story keeps playing in my head and all I have to do is get it on paper. Or computer if we're trying to modernize the process here. Especially when the words flow, or neat new twists appear on the pages, twists that I had no idea would happen. My husband scoffs at my calling this magic, but I believe. And when I read a book filled with events and characters I know could never happen in real life, yet I believe, this too is Magic.

I hope my novel, The Wish List, can make you believe in Magic as well.


--Gabi Stevens
http://www.gabistevens.com/

57 comments:

Margay said...

Gabi, I totally agree. Sometimes, it does seem like magic when the pictures in our heads can be transcribed onto paper. Often, I sit back after writing something and think, Wow, I can't believe I wrote that!
Margay

sonya said...

Awesome post. I only wished I could have a little magic to make the stories to flow out of my head and on to paper. will be looking for your book.

CrystalGB said...

Hi Gabi. Your book sounds great. I love the cover. It would be great to have magical powers.

Linda Henderson said...

Magic books are some of my favorites. I used to watch Bewitched all the time and wish I could twitch my nose and fix things. Great cover too by the way. I can't wait to read your book.

seriousreader at live dot com

Andrea Becraft said...

Good Morning Gabi! Thanks for blogging with us! I sometimes wish I had a wond that I could wave and poof the house was clean or the laudry done or any of the many things I don't have time for in my day! Your book looks fantastic! Love the cover to!

katsrus said...

Love the cover. Right now I could use some magical powers. LOL. Your book sounds wonderful.
Sue B
katsrus(at)gmail(dot)com

Maria said...

Thanks for the post Gabi- I would love to be able to solve some problems with the wave of a wand or even a twitch of my nose. I agree that I would need to keep my powers as secret as possible as I do tend to believe in conspiracy theries. Love the cover to your book!

flchen1 said...

Gabi, loved your post, and looking forward to your book! I loved the magic books (liked Edward Eager's or Betty Macdonald's) as a kid, and love sharing them with my kids now. And I love paranormal titles now--how fun that I can get my magic fix in romance now! And it's fun to see how each author's set up the "rules" in her world--because, yes, there have to be rules of some kind!

Deb830 said...

Good morning Gabi -

Great blog. I wish I had magic or a magic wand to help keep my life in order and fix things. Wishful thinking on my part. In the meantime I'll just wrap myself with a good book or watch reruns of Charmed! I look forward to reading your book.

deb ;0)

Gabi Stevens said...

Ooo, I like the idea of waving a wand and getting the housework done.

We got a puppy yesterday, and she's already worked magic on us. She's given more energy to the old dog, brought huge smiles to my family, and caused my daughter to clean up her room (!!!--she didn't want to leave things on the ground that the puppy might chew up.) If that's not magic, I don't know what is.

I always loved shows like Bewitched and Nanny and the Professor, but I also always believed that magic had to have a price. It couldn't be the answer to all the world's problems, because then you couldn't suspend your disbelief. If the world's problems could be solved by magic, no conflicts would exist, problems wouldn't need solving, and you'd have no stories to tell.

Thanks for the comments on the cover. It did turn out nice didn't it. I hope you all enjoy it when you read it.
--Gabi

LM's Drama Queen said...

Your books sound like they would be so much fun to read! And, it's nice to think how the things we do in life, no matter how big or small, can often seem like magic bacause we never thought we could do them alone. Great blog, Gabi! Now, it's off to the bookstore to buy a copy before they magically...disappear!

XOX
~*DQ*~

nmulder81 said...

Love the cover also! I agree with you on the magic. My magic comes in spurts...not all at once...few pages here, a few pages there...maybe someday the magic will be complete...at least for me :)

Stephanie said...

I have to agree with you, Gaby. It's just as magical when you sit back from your computer or paper to find a whole scene before you as it would be when you see a magician make his assistant disappear. That amazed and accomplished high leaves a person wanting to work harder to see if it could happen again.
Your story sounds like a great balancing act! I can't wait to read.

Laurie Ryan said...

I like Andrea's comment about waving a magic wand and having my house clean. That would leave me more time for writing. Of course, if I could only have one wish, it might be for my editing to be done with a "poof! :) Great post, Gabi! Thanks for giving us a fun wake up.

Robin K said...

Thank you for sharing this post. I am looking forward to reading the book. I cannot imagine a time when a wand would not come in handy!

LDee said...

I think we all need a little magic in our lives. I used to watch Bewitched and loved it. I don't or rather didn't read much paranormal but that's changing with the Twilight series and Stephanie Meyers The Host.

Nice to get to know you Gabi.

Lavada

Sherry said...

I really enjoyed reading your post it was very interesting. I would love to have some magic maybe twitch my nose like on bewitched or just say a spell like on Charmed. If I had magic I would not tell anyone because they would always want you to do something for them.

sstrode@scrtc.com

Valerie said...

I really enjoyed the post and will have to check out your book too. I wouldn't mind a little magical ability to clean the house. ;) But, I wouldn't want word to get out. I'd probably just claim elves were doing it. LOL I think magic is sort of like winning the lottery. It seems like the answer to a prayer, but at the same time it comes with it's own curse and burdens to bear.

Marilyn Shoemaker said...

A magic want, yes definitely. Send one my way!

Terri said...

A little magic would be great. The book sounds really good. Good luck with the book.

Eva S said...

Thanks for your great post! Your book sounds interesting, and the cover is wonderful. I'd really love to have some magic around too,I would have more time to read.

Leni said...

So true. At times I wish I had a magic wand, but that's where the books come in. It is a great substitute because reading feels as though you had the wand.

Natasha A. said...

Oh what a great story idea!!!
I am excited to read this!

etirv said...

Love novels with magic! Thanks for introducing Gabi Stevens!

runner10 said...

I believe in magic!

Dannyfiredragon said...

Hi Gabi,

I will definitely add your book to my tbb list. Sounds really interesting

SiNn said...

wow i love that cover its soo well fun ! and ty for stopping in after reading the blurb and chekcing out ur site i cant wait to read this book i agree a lil magic would be fun i have alot of stories bouncing in my head yet nothing comes its alljumbled but pracice pratice i guess works wonders congrats on ur book tho

erahime said...

That's a nice way of showing how an author writers a novel, Gabi. Using magic as an explanation and how a "film" is becoming a "novel" in your writing process. I can sorta relate that it takes my imagination to come up with some glimpses of the story, even though the beginning, middle, and/or the end is not as crisp in my mind as, say another part of the "film". Though in my case, I try to imagine the characters an author created in a book that I'm reading.

I do wish you the best for your writing career, G.S.!

rhianona said...

Giving magic rules sounds like a good idea. So many authors either fail to create structured rules for their worlds or break them so it's kind of neat to see someone saying that no, there are rules and these are what they are.

Lillie said...

I would love to have a magic wand. No more housework! :D

peggy said...

great post every one needs a little magic

Nicole S said...

You're book sounds good, the series too. They're going on my wish list.

joder said...

A magic wand would be greatly appreciated to help with household chores and making delectable foods. I'd also like the ability to make things better for people through good magic.

Jane said...

It would be nice it we could fulfill all our wishes with a wave of a wand.

Cathy M said...

I am a big paranormal romance fan, and love magical elements in the stories I read.

Refhater said...

I'd love just a little magic. Limited magic, but a little none the less.

Gabi Stevens said...

Wow, leave for a few minutes (to take care of a new puppy--we got her yesterday; talk about magic) and comments abound.

I'm afraid I'm a true believer of hard work and the benefits thereof. But dreaming about magic sure is fun. You all made excellent and intelligent comments.

Keep on dreaming and finding that magic in your lives.
--Gabi

Lucy Monroe said...

It is magic indeed, Gabi! Thank you oodles and bunches for being part of the RAH Conf...your post and books are magical. ;-)

Judy F said...

I believe in Magic.

It would be great to have a magic wand. Sometimes I wish I could clone myself so I can get things done. Its hard being single sometimes when you have a ton of things to do and you have to do them all. LOL

Katy M said...

I agree with Andrea and others, a housework wand, would be wonderful especially if it could do my hair once I get out of the shower when I don't have the time (almost always).

I also have to say that I think the way authors can capture voices or film and create wonderful worlds and charcters is most definitely magic to a book lover like me.

Your book (and series) looks great, and I'll be adding it to my wish list :)

WK said...

Yeah getting house done quickly or "magically" would be great!

Great post and sounds like a great book.
hugs,
WendyK

Toni said...

I wish I had a magic wand that would do my English final and get all the answers right. Or at least make the information stay in my head and come out right. Great blog and I will look for the book.

Helen Scott Taylor said...

I love the idea of having to build up your magical muscle. Your book sounds like a lot of fun.

Nancy G said...

I sometimes wish I could have magic to do things for me. Especially now, writing (trying to write) my first book. But I think I'd feel more satisfied doing it on my own, in the end.

mariska said...

I love story about magic, and your book seems so much fun to read !

Nichole said...

I love watching Bewitched reruns. I always thought it would be terrific to have magical powers but you see in this show that sometimes with magic you can make a situation worse. I'd love to have magical powers, but only for a few days or so, having it forever would make life too complicated.

Raonaid Luckwell said...

Depends on the type of magic. This is why I love my Forgotten Realms books so much with it's depth of magic. Elven Magic. Druidic magic. Ranger magic.

My husband can't understand why I won't read the Harry Potter books. He tells me "It has all the elements you want. Magic."

But that doesn't touch the "magic" that I enjoy I guess. Their wizards can not touch Elminister or Raistlin.

Guess I'm just odd like that. I believe in druid magic though.

Denise said...

Gabi! Great to see you on here! You know how I feel about your book and can't wait for the others to come out. I wish you the best of success on this book and anything else you do.

Anyone who wants to check out her interview and review: http://www.thepenmuse.com/2010/04/interview-review-wish-list-by-gabi.html

http://denisealicea.com
http://thepenmuse.com

Sue A. said...

We all need a little magic in our lives!

Lil said...

Gabi, what a wonderful way to describe the way you write your books. It really does sound magical. And you are right, being able to read a story and become completely immersed in it is a kind of magic.

zina seawitch6464@yahoo.com said...

Gabi, love your wit, I'm like that too, I like to make people laugh with what I consider slightly dry humor. I believe in Magic too. I'll have to put your book on my to buy list as a new writer.
Zina

donnas said...

Gabi, congrats on the release and thank you so much for sharing today. I just love the sound of your book and am looking forward to reading it soon.

Rhea said...

Gabi - love the sound of your book, I will be looking for it.

Lucy - thanks again for this week. I have been exposed to several new to me authors. YEAH!

Lady_Graeye said...

Great post. I'm hearing great things about this book. It going to make a wonderful start to series. I can't wait to get it!

Beth said...

Great post.
As a crafter I definitely agree that getting the vision in your head to translate to the physical, either as writing or as an object to hold in your hand, is magic.

booklover0226 said...

Hello.

I enjoyed your post and now I'm believing more in magic than before!

I look forward in reading your works.

Thanks,
Tracey D

lrwirum said...

This sounds like a fun book. :-)