Thursday, April 01, 2010

A Little Teaser from Moon Burning

Moon Craving is still fresh on the shelves (of most bookstores - and if you can't find it in yours, please ask - they won't restock if they don't think there's a demand), but I thought you all might enjoy a little teaser from Moon Burning.




Moon Burning
(c) Lucy Monroe
Berkley Sensation
February 2011
ISBN: TBD
~Excerpt~



The raven flew high above the earth, her keen vision spying five Donegal hunters in the forest below.



The red and black of their plaids peeked through the trees, leaving no doubt to the true number, but she could only hear three of them. Two were silent as they stalked their prey. Even her raven hearing honed sharper than her talons could not detect the sound of their movements.



They had masked their scents as well, showing they had better control of their Chrechte nature than the others. These two Faol of the Chrechte were dangerous.



No wolf could be trusted, but one who mastered his beast was one who must be watched most carefully. He would not be easily taken in by the tricks of the √Čan. It was good her raven family had set her to this task. Another, less seasoned fighter, could fail too easily with wolves such as these.



Sabrine had been protecting her people since her fifteenth summer, a long seven years past.



She circled lower, preparing for her landing. This had to look natural, but she did not relish taking human form merely to fall through a few tree branches. She was still a good distance from the men, though closer to the earth when an agonizing pain pierced her left wing.



Her first instinct was to pull her wing to her body, but she forced herself to keep it expanded so she could coast lower rather than spinning out of control. She would not die before saving her people from the wolves’ treachery.



As she neared the earth, she let her raven fall away, taking on her fully human form, just as she had planned to before the foul arrow had pierced her wing. Tree branches scratched at her body as she tumbled toward the ground.



She ignored the minor pain for the larger purpose. She would use the wolves’ thirst for blood against them. Their own actions would make way for her to find welcome in their clan.



As a helpless human female.



Dark amusement rolled through her with the pain of her landing. She grabbed the arrow, broke off the tip, gripped the other side, and yanked it from her arm.



As her world turned black around the edges, she threw the offending weapon as far from her as possible.

22 comments:

Danny said...

Oh that will be good. Too bad that we have to wait sooo long

Sabrina M. said...

Sounds great!

CrystalGB said...

Great excerpt. Sounds amazing.

Valerie said...

I'm hooked!! Sabrine is crafty. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Monica Burns said...

Sounds yummy!!! Love the name Sabrine!

Lucy Monroe said...

I'm glad you gals like it! I was a little worried about writing this warrior-heroine, but she's so fun and such a great match for her sexy hero. :)

Monica...I've used a slightly different form of each of my children's names in a book and it was BQ's turn. :)

Lisa F. said...

I almost didn't read it because I knew I would want more but I couldn't help myself. And now I want more!

Lucy Monroe said...

I hear you, LisaF. :) I wouldn't watch the Castle season finale until both parts had been recorded on my DVR! I don't intend to be mean...I'm just so excited about this book, I can't help sharing it with you all.

But believe me when I say I'm as impatient for it's release as anyone else. Until I hear from *my* readers, a book isn't finished for me. It's about that heart connection that is so important to me. :)

Nichole said...

Great excerpt. Can't wait! Well I can't wait for any of your books your such a great author. Really looking forward to a wolf shifter to fall for a raven shifter. I've never heard of that before so it should be exciting and out of the ordinary. Especially with two strong warrior personalities. Lots of internal and external conflict.

Lucy Monroe said...

Nichole...that's exactly what I'm trying for, or the characters are - they are so leading the way on this book! :)

Andrea Becraft said...

Sounds great Lucy can't wait!

Tessa said...

Sounds so nice. Now I absolutely want to read more, soon!

Lucy Monroe said...

Smooches, Andrea and Tessa! :)

Judy F said...

Oh that was mean. LOL Sigh... I loved it.

Lucy Monroe said...

LOL JudyF!!! I don't mean to be *mean*. :-)

Lady_Graeye said...

I can't wait! It's sounds great!

Lucy Monroe said...

Thanks, Lady G! :)

Michele said...

WOW!!! That excerpt is off the charts, you so have me hooked!! I love this series and with the excerpt you tease us with I know you will deliver another unbelievable story :)

Melissa said...

Oh, Lucy ~~ I can't WAIT!! LOL, this cannot come out soon enough!!

Lucy Monroe said...

Big hugs Michele & Melissa!!!

anshu said...

so the heroine is a shape shifter too its great. i wish it were coming out sooner

Lucy Monroe said...

Thanks, Anshu! :)