Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Guest Blogger - Mary Wine

Hello Everyone!

Spring is in the air and that means that I am off to renaissance fair with my family. I met my husband during one and we spent a lot of effort getting ready every spring for the event that happens near our home. But I find that I get some of my best ideas for historical romance during these days. I make my own costumes, studying portraits and historical tailoring notes. It fascinates me...the way people lived and loved during the ages past. We've even camped all weekend long 'period' style and it was quite a learning experience.

I hope the flowers are blooming everywhere and that you get the chance to indulge your passions! My latest book was 'In the Warrior's Bed' and it was a follow up to 'In Bed With A Stranger'. These are scottish romance set in 1600.
Hugs!

In The Warrior's Bed-

He was, too. It stunned her, such caring from a man her father called enemy. There was honest sincerity in his eyes and it made him far more attractive than she’d already decided he was. It was so tempting to sink into that feeling and allow it to wrap around her. But how did she trust this man who had hauled her away from her family? She was his prize, nothing more.
“I won’t marry ye.” It was the only threat she held. His eyes narrowed when her words hit him.
“Then ye’ll watch our first child be baptized a bastard.”
Bronwyn gasped. She reached out before her stunned mind started working again, her hand delivering a sharp slap to his arrogant face. The sound was startling in the quiet room, but Cullen grinned at her, sending her temper into a full blaze again.
“That is a mean-hearted thing to say to a woman. It’s the mother that is called slut when a babe is born out of marriage.”
“Is that so?” His expression was guarded.
“It is.”
“And yet I am the one saying that we should marry now, afore our child is conceived.” He paused, running his eyes down her length to pause on her flat belly. “If ye refuse me, ye’ll have no one save yerself to blame when the gossips call ye a scarlet woman.”
Her eyes narrowed. The man was far too cunning, but she refused to be trapped by his scheme. “I am no planning on having yer child. Why do ye think I refused to tell ye my name? I am no interested in ye. Not a bit.” She propped her hands on her hips, making a stand that she couldn’t truly back up. If the man was of the mind to force himself on her, there was little she might do to stop him. A twinge of something that felt like disappointment pierced her heart. She didn’t want to think of Cullen as a man who would rape her.
Which was ridiculous. The man had kidnapped her. She had no reason to think highly of him. Better to expect the worst; it would hurt less that way.
“No a bit?” His lips twitched, rising into another grin that annoyed her. “Well now, it seems to me that ye were blushing back on that hillside. Just like ye are now.”
She covered her cheeks with her hands and they were hot. “It is nae more than my temper.”
“’Tis much more.”
He reached out in a motion so fast she stumbled trying to avoid his hand. She straightened up against the wall, any further retreat impossible, and his arms plenty long enough to span the distance between their bodies. His hand pushed her loose, flowing chemise flush against her body. But he did it with absolute control. There was no bite of his superior strength, only perfectly applied pressure. He cupped one breast, his thumb gliding across the hard point of her nipple.
“If ye are nae interested, why is yer nipple hard?”
His opposite hand pressed flat against the wall behind her, caging her between his arms. The knowledge that he could handle her more roughly held her in place to preserve the small distance he granted her. She stiffened as his thumb rubbed her nipple. Never once had she believed that so small a touch, so tiny a contact between two people, might spark such a torrent of sensation. It flooded her, shaking her with its intensity.
“I am cold, ye daft man. Ye stole me in my chemise.”
And she was a liar, god forgive her.
“I’ve noticed that, fair Bronwyn. ‘Tis the truth that I’ve enjoyed the sight of ye.” His lips formed a sensuous expression that was sinfully carnal. “It kept me alert all night long knowing how bare ye were beneath that McJames kilt.”
“Exactly the sort of thing a blackard would say. Have ye no decency?” She sounded too desperate for her taste but she was running short on reasons to deny him. Her life at Red Stone was nothing so wonderful. A ragged breath shook her, warm delight flowing through her. It was for sure that no man wearing her father’s colors had ever made her blush.
“I’m not the one refusing to wed. I believe most would say that I’m behaving correctly by insisting that we go to church and marry. Before temptation gets the better of us both.”
He chuckled, leaning closer. She felt the brush of his breath against her lips now and her mouth went dry. His lower lip quivered in anticipation, her gaze lowering to his mouth as she wondered what his kiss would be like.
“It will be my pleasure to help ye warm up.” His voice was husky and dark with promise. His thumb moved once more across the top of her nipple. The hand on the wall moved, capturing the back of her head, his fingers threading through the strands of her unbound hair. Her hands sprang up between them, pushing against the hard wall of his chest.
He took her mouth, sealing her gasp inside. He tasted her lower lip with the tip of his tongue before invading her mouth. The hand on the back of her head held her in place while he tilted his to the side so that their lips met. She jerked in his embrace, out of sheer surprise. There were too many signals rushing through her, too many sensations to understand. When her back left the wall, his hand slid smoothly around her body. Her skin hummed with enjoyment, everywhere he held her. Beneath her hands, she felt the steady beat of his heart. Her fingertips joined her lips in discovering a bounty of pleasurable sensations that she’d never experienced before. His lips pressed hers open, demanding a deeper intimacy while he pulled her up against his body. Heat flared through her. She twisted, attempting to understand why she liked his kiss so much. Her body urged her to return it, move her mouth in unison, to taste him.
A soft moan got past their joined lips.
She was leaning back against the wall again a moment later. Cullen’s hands pressed flat on either side of her head, imprisoning her without touching her. A dangerous look flickered in his eyes, one that reminded her of a predator that needed only one move from her to trigger the instinct to pounce.
But he was breathing as hard as she was. She placed a hand on his chest before thinking about it, acting on the impulse. Her fingertips pressing against his warm skin and feeling the hard beat of his heart.
His blue eyes captured her gaze, locking and searching her eyes for a long time. Her heart slowed down from its frantic pace, but not all the way to normal. Excitement still pulsed through her, triggered by the scent of his skin.
She liked it…the way he smelled. Shocking, mysterious, and slightly overwhelming, but there was no denying that she found it attractive. The flare of hunger in his gaze mesmerized her. Her pride enjoyed knowing that she aroused him.
“Will ye marry me, Bronwyn McQuade?”
His voice was husky and rough. It tempted her with that edginess because the part of her that had lamented never having a husband, wanted to say yes.
But she refused to be another blow in a feud. It would be nothing but a way to strike at her sire, and her father would use it as an excuse to shed blood.
Possibly Cullen’s blood.
Pain nipped at her heart. The frustration of her entire life ripping and tearing at her conscience. There were no good choices, only ones that would hurt others.
“Ye have stolen me, and that is no way to begin a marriage.”
He snarled softly at her, his fingers curling. But she refused to take back her words.

69 comments:

Ina said...

Hi Mary!
thanks for sharing and wish you a wonderful time :)
greetings, Ina

Stephanie said...

Oh My! Feel the sexual tension flow off that excerpt! Thank you for sharing it with us Mary.
Do you have another story in the series planned?

Dannyfiredragon said...

Hi Mary,

sounds like another keeper!

Linda Henderson said...

Great excerpt. I'll definitely want to find out what happens in this one.

seriousreader at live dot com

mountie9 said...

Damn, another book I want to read -- my to read pile is getting bigger and bigger - hubby is just going to have to go and buy me another one of those billy bookcases from IKEA

Bonnie said...

I love the Renaissance Fairs, they are such a nice way to interact with the period.

Nova said...

wow, what an excerpt! leaves us wanting more for sure...will have to get this book and put it with the others that are must reads!! thanks!

sonya said...

Fantastic excert and I can't wait to get my hands on this one.

Dotti said...

Terrific excerpt! I can't wait to read this book. Like you, I love the renaissance fairs.

Melanie said...

Looking forward to reading these, I love books that take place in Scotland. I hope to go one day.

flchen1 said...

Mary, I love reading books set in this place and time, but am at the same time happy that I live in the present! Thanks for letting me live vicariously in old Scotland!

Diana (Book of Secrets) said...

It's cool that you met your husband at a renaissance fair...very romantic! ♥ I love Scottish romances ♥ Will definitely check out In The Warrior's Bed!

Robin K said...

Great excerpt! Now I want more :)

Helen Scott Taylor said...

Love the excerpt and the cover!

Eva S said...

Thanks for the great excerpt, I love scottish romance! I'll look for your books.

Pamk said...

great excerpt looks like she between a rock and a hard place lol

runner10 said...

Wowza!!!

Armenia said...

Mary, I admire your fascination with medievil costumes and the time period. I'm a seamstress and I can imagine how time consuming and detailed one costume can be.

It must have been miserable to camp out in all that fabric and no in-door plumbing. I've always wondered how the ladies kept from soiling their dresses.

Natasha A. said...

Wonderful excerpt! Thank you for sharing!!

s7anna said...

Thanks for the great excerpt...this book is going on my wishlist.

hugs,
Anna
s7anna@yahoo.ca

LDee said...

Mary, I loved the excerpt. In the future you might want to consider adding your web site to your post. Or if you don't have one maybe your publisher's site.

Just a thought. I enjoyed getting to meet you.

Lavada

Cynthia Eden said...

Love the excerpt! :-)

Nichole said...

Thanks for the excerpt it's excelent. I wish I could go to Scotland and England and such but I'll just have to visit through books

Jane said...

I have a copy of "In the Warrior's Bed" in my tbr pile and can't wait to start it.

Marilyn Shoemaker said...

Beautiful cover and have a great time with your family at the fair.

Kerrin said...

wow Mary, i love Scottish historicals and this sounds fantastic! love how she is already standing so proud and up for herself!!
have fun at the fair with your family!!

Ashley said...

oh I love the renfair! I go to the one in Ny every year if I can

ladybirdrobi said...

OMG Fanning self. Heated excerpt and TBR just got bigger. Thanks Mary

Robin S
Robbibird3@aol.com

Nicole S said...

Have a fun time Mary!

I loved the excerpt! It definitely sounds like a book I'd enjoy.

trudy said...

Thanks for sharing, I have now added another book to my pile of books to read.

Katy M said...

Mary, I LOVED In Bed With A Stranger and In The Warrior's Bed, and I can not wait for Bedding The Enemy! And hopefully future books in this series?

lrwirum said...

Loved reading the excpert. I am going to have to check out these books. This one sounds very good. :-)

Larena

Lucy Monroe said...

Hey, sweet thing! Thanks for guesting...who can resist a book after that kind of an excerpt?

Cindy M. said...

Love the preview. Read the previous book and am looking forward to reading this one.

SiNn said...

wow awesome excerpt now i deff be adding you to my wish list sounds totaly awesome ty for guesting and sharing now i know someone else i want to read

etirv said...

Mary Wine is one author I've always wanted to read!!!!

Lillie said...

I've only been to one renaissance fair and I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing the excerpt!

Raonaid Luckwell said...

I've always wanted to attend a Ren Fair but I never know of one in my area until they were well done and over.

BTY, great excerpt

Toni said...

I loved the excerpt and I hope that you have a good time at the Renassience Fair. Maybe someday they will hold one close to where I live in Northern Utah.

Refhater said...

Thanks for sharing!

Rhea said...

Have a great time at the fair with your family.

I can't wait to ready your book it sounds great!

tricia said...

thanks for sharing. really enjoyed meeting you at RAW last year. hope you have a wonderful time.

erahime said...

That's so sweet! You met your husband at a medieval fair. And you still go. Such passion for it! Good for you, M. W.!

I also want to thank you for providing an enticing excerpt of your book. Keep up the good work!!!

Sherry said...

I hope you have a wonderful time that was a great way to met your husband. I think it's great that you go back every year. This sounds like a great book the excerpt was wonderful. It's been a while since I've read any of your books but the ones that I read I enjoyed very much.

sstrode@scrtc.com

Mrs. Hanson said...

I'm looking forward to reading this book, Mary. Thank you for posting the excerpt!!

Lady_Graeye said...

Hi Mary! Thanks for being here. I think your book sounds wonderful. I can't wait to read it. Hope you are having a great time.

CherylS22 said...

Hmmm...sounds like a good book! And, that cover is to die for!

Cathy M said...

Hi Mary, it's hard to beat a Scottish hero, and I love their sexual chemistry.

Nancy G said...

Never been to aRenaissance Fair-would love to go sometime. Scottish heroes are terrific, and I like Irish ones too.

Elizabeth Amber said...

Mary, thanks for sharing the excerpt! I missed out on our R Fair due to rain. I hadn't been to one in a looong time, so I was bummed.

Enjoyed your post!

peggy said...

I look forward to reading the book it sounds wonderful

donnas said...

Have fun!

Thanks for the excerpt.

robynl said...

thanks to the excerpt I find another 'must read' book; thanks.

Tamsyn said...

I really enjoyed the excerpt. Thank you for sharing.
tamsyn5@yahoo.com

Sue A. said...

A very sensual excerpt ... I look forward to reading the rest of the book!

booklover0226 said...

Loved the excerpt and can't wait to read more!

Thanks,
Tracey D

Carol L. said...

Loved the excerpt and can't wait. Thanks for sharing.I wish I was going to a renaissance fair as well but hope you and your family have a great time.
Carol L.

CrystalGB said...

Great excerpt and cover. Sounds wonderful.

Margay said...

Thanks for sharing the excerpt!
Margay

Maria said...

My cousins go to alot of renaisance fairs, I've never been to one but they sound like fun. Thanks for the excerpt!

katsrus said...

Great excerpt! Love the cover.
Sue B
katsrus(at)gmail(dot)com

LM's Drama Queen said...

What a fun way to meet your husband! Readers, you should see some of the costumes Mary makes. They are BEAUTIFUL and increadibly accurate! That book excerpt was definitely intriguing. I can only imagine how fun reading the entire book will be! Great teaser, Mary:)

XOX
~*DQ*~

Thediscoera said...

Historical romance are up there of the best to read for me because of the era - It brings me to a world that intrigues me and of so much power and devotion. I always said that I would not mind living in that era, but then I thought about it and with my luck, I probably be a slave - LOL

WK said...

Ohh I love historical romances, great excerpt.
hugs,
WendyK

etirv said...

In Bed With a Stranger is my next read and I have to pick up In the Warrior's Bed now!

Denise said...

So that's wonderful, thanks for sharing your story. I love the Renn faires too! I've been to one thus far but want to go to more.

I had to turn the fan on after that excerpt! Phew!
I'll have to get this book!

http://denisealicea.com
http://thepenmuse.com

zina seawitch6464@yahoo.com said...

Oh man, or Mary! What a great excerpt that was adding another title to my list.
Zina

Amanda said...

eeep I loved this post!

PhyllisC said...

Another one added to my TBB list and in my favorite genre which makes it even better. Can't wait to read it.