Monday, March 08, 2010

Lucy's MVP Wall

In keeping with our weekly hottie picture (Bet you can't wait to see it!), I'm going with a sports theme for today's post. :) This is my MVP list of authors that taught me good writing by being such excellent writers themselves. You all know (or should by now LOL) that I believe strongly that part of learning good writing is reading copious amounts of great fiction.


I am a voracious reader and that began early in life (Age 4...and by age 5, I was sneaking into my mother's Readers Digest Condensed Version books - have no idea how much I understood, but I remember gleefully climbing the bookcase and pulling the books down to read. That all ended when she caught me reading The Godfather.). I read entire libraries of books as a child (and I mean that literally - I could be both methodical and tenacious and read from A to Z in fiction and went through Dewey's decimal system in nonfiction), but have a marked preference for romance and mystery as an adult. Though I still love a good nonfiction book and read several a year, both for pleasure and research, but mostly research. You can never get enough of learning. :)
Speaking of, I learned so much from authors I read before I ever tried my hand at creating my own stories. Here's a list of those that I glommed, read, re-read, and then re-read again... and again... and again.


Please note that all of these authors could share MVP status for most of the categories - these women are truly masters at their craft! :) And the authors are listed in alphabetical order - not order of importance, that would be impossible for me to determine. :)


MVP for Current Cultural Relevancy


MVP for Angst & Paranormal Creativity


MVP for Family Themes & Sexy Heroes


MVP for Voice Consistency &
Being the 1st Author I ever Glommed


MVP for Story Structure & the Vulnerable Alpha Hero


MVP for Sexual Tension & the Ultra Alpha Hero


MVP for Genre Diversity & Reinventing her Career (repeatedly)


MVP for Plotting & Inpsiration


MVP for Successful Series Creation


MVP for Emotion & Humor


These are by no means a complete list of my favorite authors, but they are the authors that had the most impact on me before and during the time I honed my craft for publication. I currently read literally dozens of auto-buy authors and continue to learn good writing from them. However, this is my MVP list from the beginning, the authors that most heavily influenced my own writing style and expectations for a book.

Two authors that do not write in my favorite genre and are long since gone, but also influenced me tremendously because of the number of times I read and re-read every single one of their books over the years are Agatha Christie and Louisa May Alcott.

Your turn: if you could give an MVP award to an author, what would it be for and who would it be to? (If you want to make their day, send the author the MVP pic and let them know you named them MVP here. We all like to hear when our readers feel we've done an outstanding job with a book, character, etc.)

19 comments:

Diane said...

I have to say I've read quite a few of these authors's books, in fact most of their books and have enjoyed them tremendiously.

Lucy Monroe said...

That's no surprise to me - they were my original autobuys. LOL

Judy F said...

Same with me. Certain authors have special meanings to me.I do a lot or re-reading on these ladies.

Lucy Monroe said...

Me too, JudyF...me too. :)

Judy said...

I've read some of these. My MVP is JRR Tolkien. He has a gift for painting a picture in such detail that you recognize it as soon as you see it and yet he keeps his language such that anyone is able to draw from their experience to see what he sees. When the Shire popped on the screen in LOTR, I knew immediately right where I was, as did a lot of other fans. It's because of LOTR that I ventured into writing for fun.

Who pulled me completely into loving romance novels? Diane Gaston/Perkins. Not your typical Regency historical, more the darker side of it.

Because of my Diane books, Amazon suggested I might like Anne Gracie, and they were right, as well as Elizabeth Rolls. Right again. Which lead me to Lucy Monroe's historical romances. (And you wondered where this was all going ;-D )

Lucy of course lead me into the world of contemporary, and what a fantastic adventure it's become!

To Agatha Christie and Louisa May Alcott, I'd add Ellis Peters.

erahime said...

I'm SO glad to see some familiar authors from your MVP list. I'm glad to say I have heard/read most of them, except for Helen B.

I would DEFINITELY have some MVP award for several authors. For being the author to hook me to romance, I give Catherine Coulter that honor. For being the 1st author that I adore and became a GREAT fan, I give that honor to Betty Neels. For making me love the genre paranormal, I give that honor to Christine Feehan. For giving me consistent strong and sexy heroes in a historical setting, I give that honor to Stephanie Laurens. For making me laugh in both a historical and contemporary settings, I give that honor to Sandra Hill. For giving me memorable quotes, I give that honor to Lisa Kleypas. For making me love classics, I give that to Louisa May Alcott, L. Montgomery, and a few others.

I got lots more, but they are the ones that I want to give a SHOUT out to.

Lucy Monroe said...

Judy, I love he Tolkein books. And your list of how you got to reading what was faboulous - thanks for sharing!

Erahime - fantastic list! As a reader come lately to some of those names, I would so second you. :)

Kate Davies said...

Love your MVP list, Lucy! For me, I'd add Suzanne Brockmann for realistic dialogue. She can differentiate between characters so well that I can identify who's speaking even without a dialogue tag. Love it!

Lucy Monroe said...

She *is* fab and that's one amazing skill she has (amidst her others). :)

Lady_Graeye said...

Great choices! I wouldn't change anyone on that list!

Lucy Monroe said...

Thanks, Lady G :)

lidia said...

Lucy,
What a fabulous list of MVPs. I've read books by most of them.

Michele L. said...

Oh wow, what an amazing list of authors Lucy! I have read a lot of their books. I would also add Vicki Lewis Thompson, J.K.Rowling, (love all the Harry Potter books!), Sophie Kinsella, Stephanie Bond and of course you, Lucy to the list. Love your books Lucy! Yes, I re-read a lot of their books also!

Lucy Monroe said...

Lidia...I truly believe these women have taught me more about good writing than any nonfiction book on writing, or workshop, or class. They are the goods!

MicheleL...Agreed! And THANK YOU!

Chassily Wakefield said...

Terrific list, Lucy! I've read several of them, but not all, looks like I'll be adding some names to my list. :)

For my own, my ultimate favorite author of all time is JK Rowling. I'd give her the MVP for plotting, characterization, worldbuilding and many other items on the list. She is amazing. Then there is Celeste de Blasis, who hooked me on women's fiction and romance. She'd get my MVP for the family saga, for wounded heroes and strong women. Kathleen E. Woodiwiss probably had the greatest influence on me personally as a writer. (Specifically her older works.) She'd get my MVP for pure romance and alpha males. Nora Roberts. I can't say enough about her. She gets my MVP for writing people who are so wonderful, rich and real that I wish they were my real life friends, and heroes that always, always satisfy. ;) Plus awesome plotting and interesting situations.

I better stop now before I get carried away! Fun topic, Lucy!

Lucy Monroe said...

LOL Chassily...you so remind me of me. My list gets so long when I start talking about authors I love to read. These ladies hold a special place because I glommed them before I even knew what RWA was and they taught me so much!

Love your list! Thanks for sharing!

Jami Davenport said...

Oh, Lucy, You'd be my MVP for inspiration and common-sense advice. I know I can always depend on you to tell it like it is.

And Susan Elizabeth Phillips is definitely on my list for a fun read.

I also like Deirdre Martin for MVP for hot Hockey Heroes. I didn't even like hockey until I read her Blades series.


I could go on and on, but I won't.

Lucy Monroe said...

Smooches, Jami! You rock. :) And your menage stories are hawt!

Sunu said...

I could see many of my favorite authors here in your list. . .Helen Bianchin, Christine Feehan, Julie Garwood, Lynne Graham, Linda Howard, Diana Palmer. . . I own all of Julie Garwood's books . . . And Diana Palmer . . . I can keep reading her books so many times.