Friday, February 19, 2010

Having It All

...and eating your cake too!

Lots of people ask me how I do it all, and I tell them, "I don't." I'd rather eat the cake than make it. Really. :)

One of the things I've had to learn to do to keep up with my active and large family as well as my active and prolific writing career is to delegate. One of my favorite things to delegate (besides housework) is copyediting and proof-reading. About 4 years ago, I started paying my rather brilliant and gorgeous, soon to be married, chemical engineering student niece to proofread galleys and copyedit my own work when I was on too tight a deadline to do it justice myself.

Her name is Abigail and she does an amazing job for very reasonable prices. She's decided to branch out and earn some extra dough for the wedding, etc., and open her editorial services to other students and authors.

If you're interested, you can find all the deets here. If you know of someone who might be able to use her editing services, please pass the info along.
Your turn: what is your favorite thing to delegate, or if you could, what one thing would you delegate?
*Picture originally sent to me by JudyF, then showed up when I was searching for an image of a woman at a computer. Figured it was meant to be, so here it is. :)

8 comments:

Judy said...

I love Maxine! And that's a great cartoon, as I sit here at my computer preparing to start my workday. My favorite thing to delegate is driving! (Seriously messed up back.) It also works out well. My sister and I go walking on the mornings she takes me to pick up work. She takes me grocery shopping or any other errands I need doing. It gives us automatic time to chat.

Lucy Monroe said...

Judy...me too! Love Maxine. And I'm sorry about your back, but think if I could delegate anything else, it would be driving. I've threatened to hire a driver, but with so many kids in college, eh...maybe later. :)

Estella said...

I would love to be able to delegate the cooking!

Judy F said...

I love Maxine. I have a tshirt that says I am up and dressed what more do you want. LOL

Good luck to your niece.

I would love to have cleaning delegated but that is never going to happen

Lucy Monroe said...

Estella...I so hear you. :)

JudyF...what a great t-shirt! I just bought one for my sister that said, "A Clean Hous is the Sign of a Broken Computer". LOL

robynl said...

I would love to delegate cooking; it seems harder and harder to come up with meal ideas.

Lucy Monroe said...

I hear you RobynL...I do menues for two weeks to a month in advance and sometimes, I just can't wrap my mind around what to have when. :)

Amy said...

I would love to delegate housecleaning but don't see that happening