Monday, November 02, 2009

Guest Blogger - Erin Nicholas!

One-night stands were a lot like apple pie as far as Jaden Monroe was concerned.

That’s the first line of my first release.

My. First. Release.

Finally! J

No Matter What will release on November 3, 2009. Which, interestingly, is tomorrow! J

Firsts. There’s nothing like them right? First kisses, first dates, first birthdays, first anniversaries, first steps, first place… monumental moments. So, I thought today maybe we’d talk about ‘firsts’.

Some of my favorites:

The first line to one of my favorite songs: “And now, the end is near, and I face the final curtain.” (My Way, Frank Sinatra).


The first word my daughter said: “Pretty”.

The first Christmas present from my son: an ornament with his picture in it from daycare.

The first time my husband told me he loved me: on the couch in that horrible house he shared with his three college buddies.

The first scene in my favorite movie: snow softly falling over a quiet little town decorated for Christmas and the sound of various people praying for the same man, George Bailey. (It’s A Wonderful Life).

And since we’re really all here about the books! J Here are the first lines in some of my favorite books:

“Once there was a velveteen rabbit, and in the beginning he was really splendid.” (The Velveteen Rabbit, Margery Williams)

“Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.” (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, J.K. Rowling).

“Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.” (The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, C.S. Lewis)

And of course, the romances! Here are some of my favorite first lines:

“The man gave a whole new meaning to the words rise and shine.” (A Date With the Other Side, Erin McCarthy)

“Well, well, if it isn’t Miss Eastman. I’d recognize those tits anywhere.” (Hide and Seek, Cherry Adair)

“It wasn’t every day a guy saw a headless beaver marching down the side of a road, not even in Dean Robillard’s larger-than-life world.” (Natural Born Charmer, Susan Elizabeth Phillips)

and, perhaps my favorite of all, “On the sixth of April, in the year 1812—precisely two days before her sixteenth birthday—Penelope Featherington fell in love.” (Romancing Mr. Bridgerton, Julia Quinn).

Ah, firsts! They can be wonderful, can’t they?

I want to hear about some of your favorite firsts! And listen to this… anyone who comments (I mean anyone) before midnight with a favorite first in their life gets a sneak peek of No Matter What (fittingly, the full first chapter)!!

And don’t miss out on all the fun going on right now for this release! There is a contest running on my website until tomorrow! Over the past few months I’ve posted here and had some little contests. All of the people who have participated have been automatically entered into this release day contest equal to the number of times they’ve participated! So, those who have joined in every month since July have been entered four times already and can add their name one more time by commenting here today before midnight! The grand prize is a copy of the book, a bunch of Erin Nicholas goodies (pens, bookmarks and such) and a gift basket in honor of the late night snacks Adam and Jaden share in No Matter What: Amaretto Cocoa mix, Chai tea mix and biscotti!

Also, my author group, Nine Naughty Novelists, is up and going with our blog! We are planning lots of fun including regular posts from the nine of us, guest bloggers, excerpts on Thursdays, and a NNN party every month on the 9th! http://ninenaughtynovelists.blogspot.com/

We’re kicking things off big in the Samhain Café on November 9th with a scavenger hunt and more fun, so come check it out! (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/samhaincafe/)

Thanks for sharing this fun with me! I look forward to hearing about your special firsts and hope you’ll check No Matter What out tomorrow! http://samhainpublishing.com/new

Erin

8 comments:

Michele L. said...

Woohoo Erin! Go sister go! A big congrats on your book! I bet you are on cloud nine! I sure can't wait to read it!

Loved reading your list of firsts! I have one too. My first kiss ever that meant something to me was from my hubby when we were dating. Gosh, I still remember how I tingled and glowed for so many days afterward! I replayed that kiss in my mind over and over.

Then there is always that first snowfall of winter that I love to see! It is always thrills me and the snow is just so beautiful and graceful when it comes down.

Congrats again Erin! Have a fantastic week!

Erin Nicholas said...

Oh, first snow! Good one, Michele! I love that too. The 1,672nd snow... not so much (I may be exaggerating *g* but I do live in the midwest... no stranger to snow!)
Erin

Erin Nicholas said...

Oh, by the way, Michele-- I'll send you the first chapter if you e-mail me your e-mail address *g*
Erin@ErinNicholas.com

Jane said...

Happy Release Day, Erin. That was lovely ornament your son made. I remember the first time I made a picture with macaroni and gave it to my mom.

Erin Nicholas said...

Thanks, Jane! I will keep that ornament forever-- even re-gluing the sequins as they try to come off!
Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you the chapter!
Erin

flchen1 said...

Hooray, Erin! Those are lovely firsts! And congrats on No Matter What! Some memorable firsts for me--first ultrasound for each baby, first steps, and those first days of school :)

Looking forward to more firsts (or maybe more accurately, I'm terrified of some of the firsts to come--the teen years lie ahead... ;))

Congrats again, Erin!

--Fedora

Amy said...

Congratulations on your First release Erin. A first that sticks out for me is reading my first romance novel at the age of 12. It was Heathers Song by Diana Palmer. 28 years later I am still hooked on romance books

ddurance said...

Oh, it must be so sweet. Big congrats to you on your first release!

Deidre