Monday, October 05, 2009

Guest Blog - Erin Nicholas

I’m now one month away from the release of my first novel! Wow. I can’t wait to see what readers say! The whole thing swings from fun and exciting to nerve-wracking and overwhelming, then back again! But I’m bummed right now because I don’t have a cover to show you yet—glitches, don’t you love ‘em?

You can check out the other November 3rd releases from Samhain here.
Aren’t they great? Samhain actually, in my opinion, does a fantastic job with covers!

For me as a reader, covers are big. A great cover will make me pick up a book by someone I’ve never heard of. A great cover has led to me reading an excerpt that then leads me to buy even when my book budget is down to nothing!

Some of my favorite book covers are
Tease Me, Please Me by Kate Davies http://www.kate-davies.com/fun_stuff.htm (I like Striptease too!)

What I Did For Love, Susan Elizabeth Phillips http://www.susanephillips.com/books.html (but it’s hard to keep up because they keep re-releasing her books with new covers!)

Any of the Lucky Series by Carly Phillips http://www.carlyphillips.com/site/misc/bookshelf.html (but wow, she’s got a lot of great covers!)

What about you? What are some of your favorites? Do covers play a part in what you buy? In looking at all of those fantastic covers at Samhain, what catches your eye? Some people like faces on the covers but others say readers get their own mental pictures of what the characters look like and are thrown off when the cover doesn’t match what they pictured. Has that happened to you? Are there things that always catch your attention, or something that would turn you off of a cover for sure?

Hopefully, the cover for No Matter What will be up on my site soon! Please check back!

In the meantime, here’s another excerpt and another chance to win some great stuff!

This month the prize is a coffee mug, a Starbucks gift card, chocolate and your choice of one of my favorite Lucy books or two books from some of my other great friends and fellow authors!

We’ve started a blog called Nine Naughty Novelists that will be up and going soon! We plan to have a lot of fun, a lot of great excerpts, a lot of contests and parties, etc.! So, also keep checking our websites for the blog launch!

The other eight of the Nine Naughty Novelists (whose books you get to choose from) are:
Skylar Kade www.skylarkade.com
Sydney Somers http://www.sydneysomers.com
Meg Benjamin http://www.MegBenjamin.com
Kelly Jamieson http://www.kellyjamieson.com
PG Forte http://www.pgforte.com
Kate Davies www.kate-davies.com
Kinsey Holly www.kinseyholley.com
Diane McEntire www.dmcentire.com

All you have to do is post an answer to one or more of the questions above and I’ll choose a winner on Friday, October 9th!

No Matter What--excerpt
Coming November 3rd
Samhain Publishing
By Erin Nicholas

“Does that mean we’re friends now?” He barely resisted touching her cheek.
She raised an eyebrow. “You’re assuming a lot from one peanut butter sandwich, aren’t you?”
He noticed the slight tug at the corner of her mouth. “Yes. For instance…” He leaned in until he could smell her shampoo, and under that, the scent of her skin. “I assume that you want to know more about me, and that you think I’ve done a good job with Emily.” His eyes traced her face from her forehead to her chin. She was breathing a little faster and her cheeks were pink. “Even more, I assume that you are very attracted to me, that you think about me during the day at the strangest times, and that you think about me at night—which isn’t strange at all.”
Part of her wanted to pull back and deny the truth, he could see it in her eyes. But part of her, a bigger part, a stronger part, wanted to press closer and finally discover all of the things they’d both been imagining.
She finally spoke. “You should really be more careful with your assumptions.”
“I probably should. For instance, I shouldn’t assume that you like me just because you want to make love to me, right?”
Something flickered in her eyes. Maybe it was just surprise that he’d said out loud what they both knew was true. But he thought it was something more.
“And I probably shouldn’t assume that you enjoyed the kissing the other night as much as I did.”
She stared at him for several heartbeats. “I…well, it’s not…I…” She stopped and sighed, turning her eyes to the ceiling. “Actually, I do like you, Adam. You’re very frustrating, but I can’t help but like a father who cares so much about his daughter.” She failed to comment on the kissing.
Liking him because of his daughter wasn’t completely satisfying but it was a start. He reached up and cupped the back of her neck with one hand, gently tugging her closer. Her eyes widened, but she stepped toward him. A very good sign. That he fully intended to take advantage of.
“So, you like me,” he said, stroking his thumb along the side of her neck. He was gratified to see her shiver under his touch. “And you like my peanut butter and honey sandwiches.”
Her lips parted and her breathing sped up as she looked up at him, unblinking.
“I’m very interested in what else you like.” He lowered his head and brushed his lips over the spot on her neck where his thumb had been resting. “For instance, do you like this?” he said near her ear.
She didn’t reply, but her eyes closed and she tipped her head to give him better access. He smiled. He put his other hand on her hip and pulled her close, until they were belly to
belly. She certainly didn’t protest.
“Do you like soft kisses?” He pressed his lips to hers gently.
Her hands went to his shoulders and she kissed him back, making his heart thump in his chest.
He lifted his head, breathing hard already. “Or do you like hot, wet kisses?” He tilted her head and demonstrated that as well, stroking his tongue over her bottom lip and then taking advantage of the sigh that parted her lips and granted him access to the sweet, hot mouth he’d been dreaming about.
She tangled her fingers in his hair and rose on tiptoe, striving to be closer. A deep half sigh, half groan purred from the back of her throat. Her tongue met his with abandon and Adam felt the heat stroking his entire body.
He pulled back several delicious moments later, not even close to being done with her.
“And do you like this?” He cupped her butt in his hands and pulled her up firmly against his erection. He rubbed his hard length against her.
Her moan and her eyes sliding closed gave him some indication of her answer. But he wanted to hear her beg him to please, please keep doing it. Or to do more. In specific detail.
“And this?” His hand cupped her breast, his thumb rubbing over her nipple, firm even through the thickness of the sweatshirt she wore.
Jaden arched into to his touch, her hands running down his back to his waist, where she hooked her thumbs through the belt loops on his pants and pulled him closer yet.
“Do you like satin or cotton sheets?” He lifted her hair and put his lips to the soft skin behind her ear, flicking his tongue over the spot.
“Yes,” she whispered.


If you want more of this scene, it will continue at my website… www.ErinNicholas.com!

19 comments:

Meg Benjamin said...

Great excerpt, Erin! My favorite cover is Eloisa James's The Taming of the Duke. That guy is so sexy, and I love the woman's hands at his shoulders.--Meg Benjamin

ddurance said...

I'm definitely a visual person. A cover means a lot to me, anything paranormal and dark looking will definitely catch my eye. I absolutely hate when the cover is misleading and the book has nothing to do with the cover.

Deidre

Jane said...

Congrats on your upcoming debut release. I love stepback covers. Stephanie Laurens and Anna Campbell have some pretty ones. I also like the silhouetted covers seen on many romantic suspense books. Samhain does have some sexy covers.

Kelly Jamieson said...

I think covers are important too! They set the whole tone for the book. If I think a cover is tacky or cheesy, I probably won't pick it up (Unless it's an author I know.) I agree Samhain has some awesome covers!

Erin Nicholas said...

There are some covers for some of my favorite books from favorite authors that have covers I really don't like... makes me wonder if I would have picked the book up if I didn't already like the writer! Makes me nervous as a writer too! :)

I'm definitely a visual person too! Deidre, I love the photo you have on your profile! It tells me something about you without us ever having met. Isn't it interesting (and a little scary) how much people figure out (or think they do ;)) with just a little visual feedback? Like I'm wondering what my kids' new school principal is thinking of me since I just ran into him at the postoffice in old sweatpants and my hair pulled back! :) I'll have to go to parent-teacher conferences dressed up for sure now! *G*
Erin

PG Forte said...

I'm more a blurb than a cover person. It's the words, ya know? *g*

I suppose a cover I really don't like might dissuade me from buying a book by an unknown author (unless the blurb and excerpt were killer, of course)but probably not otherwise.

Which is not to say I don't think covers are important. There's something about getting the cover that makes the whole publishing process seem "real". I swear, not even holding the physical book in my hands can compare with the rush I get at seeing the cover of one of my books go up on my publisher's website for the very first time.

Weird, huh?

Two of my most recent favorite covers are Boys of Summer by Cooper Davis and Irish Sex Fairy by Kelly Jamieson.

Erin Nicholas said...

I love Kelly's new cover too! (you can all check it out here: http://www.kellyjamieson.com/2.html)

I can't wait to have that rush with seeing the cover for the first time... any day now... really, I'm being patient! Ha! Erin

Booklover1335 said...

Covers play a huge part on what I decide to pick up if it is an author that I don't yet read or know. I know you shouldn't but when there is so much to choose from you can't possibly read the blurbs from all of them. The cover is the first thing that I look at, if I think the cover and title are interesting I will look at the blurb...if I still find it intriguing I will read an excerpt. After all of that I will decide if it gets purchased ASAP, goes on a wish list, or "probably not" If I'm really undecided I'll go online to read reviews if there are any.

It's one of the things I wish Samhain did was offer reader reviews or "stars" so that I can get a better feel for a book. I could be missing out on some great reads because the previous things I mentioned just didn't stand out and say what a great book it is.

One of my fav book covers from this year was Deeper by Megan Hart. Absolutely loved that cover! And I prefer covers without faces on them. I have had too much Nathan Kamp on covers and prefer them to be gorgeous but anonymous.

Can't wait to visit the new website, and wishing you good luck with your new release!!!

sarabelle said...

great post Erin. I am both a cover and blurb person. I do have to say that I love covers of torso's or backs, but no frontal faces please. I can handle side views but not full faces. I never think that they match the picture in my head while reading. My biggest draw to a book is the author.
Congrats on your upcoming debut.

Erin Nicholas said...

Ah, blurbs... a whole other post probably! *g* I love, love, love standing in the aisles at Barnes and Noble and reading the backs of books! The covers draw me, definitely. So do titles. Great point about reviews. Those also influence me. Gee, no wonder my bookshelves are overflowing and my stack TBR are taller than my bedside table! I'll tell you something I really love about e-books... I can decide I have to have it (from covers, blurbs, whatever) and then I can get it! Right now! I can start it yet tonight... and end up even more sleep deprived *g* but very satisfied!
Erin

CrystalGB said...

Hi Erin. I like covers that have vivid colors and depict the couple or theme of the book. I don't care for cartoony covers or covers that don't match the story.

robynl said...

I love beautiful covers; they are a work of art. It depends on the story as to what cover I like. I love scenery with trees, lakes, and I love people with beautiful gowns/suits. What I don't like is the cartoony like characters.

Debbie Macomber has some great book covers as does Robyn Carr in her Virgin River series.

Erin Nicholas said...

No Cartoon covers huh? Seems like those were big for awhile. I don't mind them if the story is fun and light, but they definitely don't fit all! *G*
Erin

Michele L. said...

Hi Erin!

That is the number one thing that gets me to buy a book is the cover and if it is a favorite author of mine. Pink, orange, red, purple, and yellow are my favorite colors. I have noticed that a lot of covers incorporate these colors to catch the eye.

Some favorite covers of mine are Vicki Lewis Thompson's NERD books which have some great covers! Carly Phillips books have some really sexy covers! Susan Elizabeth Phillips book GLITTER BABY, the new release, has a wonderful pink cover that glitters. Oh yeah, and I love covers that glitter! Some other neat covers are ones that have dogs or cats on them. Love animals!

Amy said...

Another great excerpt Erin. I love a great book cover and have picked up a bookS by authors I have never read before because of the great covers. I would wind up reading the back cover and then the excerpt and alot of times will end up buying the book, all because the cover caught my eye. Some of my favorite covers are Lora Leigh's Nauti book covers. I just love a cover with a sexy man on the front showing off those sexy abbs. Lucy's cover for the spy who Wants me is another one of my favorites. I also love cover's with a sexy cowboy on the front cover. Get's me everytime

Erin Nicholas said...

Oh, yes cowboys are hard to pass up! *g* For me, so are men in uniform. Firemen especially for some reason. Do you all like kisses on the front cover? I just finally saw my cover! I can't post it yet because it isn't "officially" approved by everyone, but it was by me! *G*

Tell you all what... once it's posted on my website, anyone who e-mails me with a comment about it will be entered to win ANOTHER special prize! Sorry, I don't know when that will be... you'll have to keep checking ;)
Erin

Mitzi said...

I'm a sucker for a great book cover. I think the only thing that really bothers me about them....is when the hero in the story is tall and dark...yet on the cover the guy is blonde? What's up with that???

I'm not sure which is my favorite???...a sexy cover that leaves lots to the imagination...like Robin Schone's Cry for Passion....or a sexy guy half naked....like A Tall Dark Cowboy??? I love them all!!!

Looking forward to the new website and love the name!!!

flchen1 said...

Hi, Erin! Congrats on your upcoming release! As for covers, I think that while I enjoy good ones, they don't make or break my buying decision. I think that when I did more of my book buying by browsing a bricks-and-mortar store, covers would be part of why I'd pick up a certain book (or not). On the other hand, I have to be sold by the blurb and excerpt, so I tend not to buy just because of a gorgeous cover.

Once I have a book though, the cover's part of the whole experience--I love when the cover captures the feel of the book and also when it accurately portrays the characters (maybe not *exactly* as I'd imagine, but at least getting the general characteristics right--hair color, eyes...) And I do like it to match the tone of the book--I like playful covers for lighter stories, but I love the dark, deep look for the passionate, gut-wrenching tales :)

Erin Nicholas said...

So, I picked a winner for my contest last night... then forgot to post it! *g* Sorry!

Crystal, you're the winner!!!

You'll be getting a separate e-mail from me with details!

Thanks everyone for the fun discussion!

Next time I post it will be the day before my release day! And the prize is even bigger then!
Can't wait!

In the meantime, check out my website in the next few days for the posting of my book cover!
Erin