Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Guest Blog with Wild Rose Press author Hanna Rhys Barnes

Thanks to Lucy for inviting me to guest blog.

It has been one heck of a year. Having been in Portland for just a short while at my last birthday, I was just beginning to get adjusted to the change from hot, sunny Arizona to cool, rainy Oregon. It took a bit of time, but now, I love it.

Much of my year was spent putting together a novel and getting it published, while holding down a full-time job. Whew! Widow’s Peak is due to be released in September from The Wild Rose Press. Kudos to those of you who have families on top of everything else and still manage to get manuscripts published every year.

In January, the full-time job went the way of the economy, down the drain. However, the open space in my life presented me with a fabulous opportunity. In March, I managed to find a way to take a trip to Wales! To catch up on my adventures being lost in the Welsh countryside, check out my blog, Never Too Late For Love.

Last Friday, my birthday rolled around again and I was looking forward to the routine months of promotion for Widow’s Peak. When I opened the e-mail from the Coordinator of the Great Beginnings Contest, I fully anticipated hearing that unfortunately my entry had not been quite good enough. I got a total surprise. After two years and dozens of entries, I finaled in a contest for the first time! The year is starting-off big. I can only hope this is a harbinger of things to come.

In celebration of all the good things that happened over the past year, and all the good things to come this year, I am running a very special contest. I have made a small amount of Widow’s Peak Visa Gift Cards, valued at $15.00. If you purchase one of these limited edition gift cards, you will be entered to win either a Bronze resin statue of the Welsh goddess Arianhod or a framed art print of the triple goddess. Both pieces were created by artist Maxine Miller.

Only fifty people will be eligible to enter. You’ll also be helping teach an adult to read$5.00 of your gift card purchase will be donated to the Portland Literacy Council, our local adult literacy organization.

Hanna Rhys Barnes is one of those people with an evenly balanced right and left brain. She has a BA in English, but recently finished her final year as a high school math teacher. She loves to cook and was a pastry chef in a former life. Hanna adores everything Japanese and each year, along with the Fourth of July, she celebrates the Japanese summer festival. She is also an avid Renaissance Faire player and started writing fiction because of adventures that occurred at Renn Faire.

Hanna’s Debut Novel, Widow’s Peak, will be released September 23, 2009 from The Wild Rose Press. You can read an excerpt at her website, www.hannarhys.com. She is currently working on Book 2 in the series, Kissed By A Rose. A member of RWA’s national organization and of several local chapters, she currently lives and works in Portland, OR, but occasionally visits her retirement ranchette outside of Kingman, AZ (about two hours south of Las Vegas). You can contact Hanna at Hanna@hannaryhs.com or at her blog, Never Too Late For Love at hannarhys.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Judy said...

Congratulations, Hanna! And I love the name of your website. :-)

Amy said...

Happy Late Birthday. Congrats on being a finalist! I enjoyed the excerpt at your site

Amy said...

Hanna - I tried to email you and it was sent back several times as undeliverable. I wanted to ask where/how to get one of the VISA cards.
I have made a small amount of Widow’s Peak Visa Gift Cards, valued at $15.00. If you purchase one of these limited edition gift cards, you will be entered to win either a Bronze resin statue of the Welsh goddess Arianhod or a framed art print of the triple goddess. Both pieces were created by artist Maxine Miller.