Thursday, May 21, 2009

A guest blog by DQ

Lights, Camera, Runway!
Guests filled a local hotel room in honor of an admirable cause: Acceptance. They could feel the excitement in the air, all eager to celebrate a new attitude throughout the community. I was thrilled to see the turn-out from my hidden spot back stage. After all, I had organized this fashion show in less than three months and each filled seat offered encouragement. It was the first Lucy Monroe Fashion Show as well as the launch of her new non-profit Hearts Unbound - a fund dedicated to promoting love without limits and acceptance without stinginess.
Almost too much excitement for one day, but knowing my mom, there’s never too much excitement.

I glanced at the clock, five minutes till starting time. Tick tock, tick tock. It felt as though each minute got slower and slower until finally I could barely even focus on the clock at all. This was the moment everyone had been waiting for. The show was about to begin! I called people to attention and everyone sat still in there seats as though someone had programmed them to a remote and simply pressed “pause.”
The focus: the runway. The subject: Lucy Monroe. She delivered a beautiful speech about acceptance, love and more than tolerance - a celebration of our differences, touching the hearts of those eagerly listening to her words. My mom welcomed them, explained the purpose of the fund and its importance to her. Lucy Monroe said, “Let the show begin!”

The music filled the room as the first model graced the runway. It was just as I had imagined, an array of colors welcoming spring! Styles included bright bathing suits, feminine skirts, frilly hems, and neon accessories. Each model was sharing the same message: It’s okay to be different! The music continued to play, setting the mood for each new set. Model after model strutted across the runway adding more and more glitter and glam to the room. The guests laughed and smiled as they watched, sitting forward in their seats in anticipation of what clothes were coming next. Soon the last set had passed and it was time for the finale! Everyone was clapping in appreciation, for the effort put in and the cause that they all contributed to.

It was truly a success from both views, in the seats and behind-the-scenes. Thank you to everyone who attended and participated - so very much for your support! Who knows, we might even host another one next year. ;)

Now, It’s time for the fun part...Prizes!

In honor of Lucy Monroe’s first fashion show, we thought we would send out a really fashionable prize: a zebra print handbag filled with high end makeup. Now, that's my kind of prize, but Mom says I can't win!

Comment about the craziest fashion(s) you’ve seen and we will enter you into the drawing!

Don’t be afraid to spill the worst and HAVE FUN!!

XOX,

D.Q.
P.S. If you want to see more pics of the fashion show, check out Mom's MySpace page!

21 comments:

Jane said...

Congrats on the success of the first Lucy Monroe Fashion Show. The craziest fashions I've seen is from Bjork. The swan dress she wore at the Oscars was one of the kookiest I've ever seen.

limecello said...

I have to admit, I thought the exact same thing Jane said. Followed by Bai Ling. The Jo Lo dress. (Yes, The Dress.)
Oh gosh - the Lil Kim pastie outfit? *shudder* (or you know, almost all her outfits.)
I have to admit, there are too many fabulous dresses to remember- any Vogue especially for the awards will have a number of them.
For bad outfits though (and you know, sometimes great ones), GofugYourself is a great website for some celebrity clothes entertainment.

limecello said...

Also - haha, got distracted by the fashion - congratulations on putting all of that together, DQ! That's fantastic. And Lucy, you must be so proud! You're both doing such a terrific thing :)

kim h said...

the creaters of south park outfits wow

the hammer pants always gets me lol
congrats ont eh graduates

CrystalGB said...

Congratulations on the successful fashion show. Lately at the university where I work, I have been seeing girls wearing togas over jeans. It looks strange to me.

Judy said...

What a wonderful event! Brava!

The swan dress! Yep, that was... creepy. Craziest in my book was a girl wearing shorts and flipflops horseback riding. Ouch. Saddles and skin do not mix. Those togas and jeans would have been better. :-)

Lucy Monroe said...

It was an amazing event and I am so proud of DQ! I only had to put up money and few hairdressing skills, but she organized the event from selecting a date to booking the venue, getting all the models, putting together all the outfits, the decor, EVERYTHING...she's going to go far in her chosen profession. I'm sure of it! I'm just glad I've got another year with her before she takes off for California and FIDM. She'll be travelling with me next year, so if anyone is going to Lora Leigh's RAW, they'll get to meet her. :)

flchen1 said...

Huge congrats, DQ and Lucy! How fabulous

As for far-out fashions, I always giggle when I have the chance to see some of the things you can make out of crochet... Like some of these:
http://gina_renay.blogs.com/off_the_hook_awesome_croc/2009/05/my-vision-is-simply-to-bring-self-expression-to-the-forefront-letting-the-embellished-yearnings-within-outto-walk-a-creat.html

Anyway, kudos to you again, DQ!

robynl said...

the craziest fashion I've seen is on Project Runway where the slit at the back of the skirt was so high that it was obscene almost.

congrats DQ and Lucy on your amazing work and on the success of your first fashion show.

sarabelle said...

COngrats on the Fashion show, i loved the pictures. I totally agree with limecello about the Lil kim pastie, I almost choked when I saw it that time. The craziest fashions always come somewhere where there is a red carpet. I swear celebrities will wear anything.

Amy said...

Congrats on the success of the fashion show. DQ is very talented indeed. The craziest fashion I have seen is showing the thongs (butt cleavage is what they call it I think)by wearing the pants so low.

Michele L. said...

Wow! I am so impressed Lucy and DQ! You are so multi-talented! What a wonderful show!

Gosh, everyone has submitted some funny and shocking fashions! I still remember the wardrobe malfunction when Janet Jackson appeared at half-time during the Superbowl. Now that was a weird outfit and to have it come off like that?

I think Cher has had some really weird outfits. I remember her barely there outfits where it looked like she was naked underneath along with all those big head dresses. She is a pretty lady though.

Gosh, I have seen so many kooky outfits on celebrities in PEOPLE magazine but can't remember them all now. Some made them look like hookers, others made them look like aliens from another planet. Even some of the fashion shows, the weird get-ups they make the girls wear! Who would buy these clothes?

Maureen said...

Congratulations to your family on the show's success. Project Runway is a favorite show of mine where there are always interesting and amazing fashions. Right now Bravo has a new show called The Fashion Show and it's intereseting to see what these designers can produce.

Amy S. said...

I was going to say the hammer pants.

Kammie said...

Looks like everyone is smiling and having a great time in the photos. Congratulations on a successful fashion show! The craziest fashion I've seen is.....body paint..no clothing. lol Some amazing designs. I think one would have to be very, very brave to show off that bit of fashion

Brandy said...

Have you seen some of the outfits they make the dancers wear on Dancing With the Stars? Fringe seems to be a favorite, but a full body outfit made out of it in orange and yellow? Um, ewwww!
Congratulations DQ on your success!

Michele L. said...

I agree with Kammie, body paint? EEee-yuck! There have been girls on American Idol where there whole arm is encased in tattoos.Imagine when they are older and trying to get that taken off.

Ok, just thought of another weird fashion at the moment, actually it is a hairstyle fashion. The girls are all wearing the one eyed look where the bangs are swept over one eye. How do they see? That would drive me batty!

Kate Davies said...

Looks like a fabulous event! Wish I could have been there.

Congrats, DQ!

Clothing fiascos -- so many of my top items have already been mentioned, it's hard to come up with something else. :)

LM's Drama Queen said...

Hello everyone! Thank you so much for all of your comments:) You have no idea how long I was laughing. I'm sitting in Mom's office with her and I kept going, "Mom, listen to this one!" LOL. Well, it's time for the big moment. The winner is...dun dun dun...Michele L! And to answer her question, I also have the "one-eyed look" and I just sweep my bangs just above my eyes so I can still see:) But I thought that was an extremely clever name LOL, congratulations!

XOX,
LC's Drama Queen

LM's Drama Queen said...

Hello everyone! Thank you so much for all of your comments:) You have no idea how long I was laughing. I'm sitting in Mom's office with her and I kept going, "Mom, listen to this one!" LOL. Well, it's time for the big moment. The winner is...dun dun dun...Michele L! And to answer her question, I also have the "one-eyed look" and I just sweep my bangs just above my eyes so I can still see:) But I thought that was an extremely clever name LOL, congratulations!

XOX,
LC's Drama Queen

Michele L. said...

Hi DQ!

WOOHOO! and THANKS!!!! Oh gosh, your hairstyle is all the rage right now! KUDOS to you that you can wear your hair that way!

This comment that follows comes from the one in June where you and your mom have colored your hair. I really love it! I have dark brown hair also but I have only tried an auburn reddish brown color on my hair. I would love to do pink sometime. How fun!