Friday, January 16, 2009

Momma said...

Several people commented the "Something Fishy" post and said they'd like to hear more of my mom's advice, so I thought I'd oblige. Yes, she *is* absolutely amazing. She's always been really open with us kids and so very accepting of who each of us are. She'd never read romance until I started writing it, and now she reads all of my books. It took her a few years after a stroke to get back to reading, but she persisted so she could read my stories and tell me what she thinks.

I'll never forget when she read "The Billionaire's Pregnant Mistress." She stayed up all night reading it and when I got up the next morning, she told me, "I hated him until about five o'clock this morning, but then you redeemed him." I laughed, but deep inside I was so pleased. I love writing the anti-hero who needs to be redeemed. LOL

Since I'm in a romantic mood about my daughter's upcoming wedding, I thought I'd share the advice my mom gave me on deciding if DH was "the one" or not. She told me to try to imagine my life without him. If I couldn't without a whole lotta pain, then he was probably it for me. She was oh, so right. And you know she never once criticized me for marrying young, even though her own youthful marriage brought her a lot more pain than joy. Mom has never visited her mistakes on us kids, assuming we would have the same outcome from decisions that didn't work out for her. She's pretty unique that way. Even I tend to want my children to avoid anything resembling my past mistakes. LOL

And a beauty tip from my mom (she just gave to my daughter): don't spend your time worrying about the future and what might happen. Live today like tomorrow is going to be okay and you'll be beautiful to others. Kinda profound, isn't it?


One piece of advice she gave me that helped my life to be beautiful was: learn to laugh, or you'll spend a lot of time crying. And you know, she was so, so, soooo right!


Hugs and happy weekend!

Lucy
P. S. The picture is of Mom and my daughter - the oldest.

13 comments:

Ladyhawk said...

What a remarkable women is your mother, and a blessing to so many. It takes someone truly special to be a chain breaker, to not pass along the abuse (unhappiness) of the past.

Good advice on knowing "The One", whom I've not yet met, and laughing. And I didn't like Dimitri either, until the end.
~Judy

Brandy said...

Your mother is a gem. *G*

limecello said...

A great post - and your mom sounds like a wonderful lady, Lucy!
Thanks for sharing with us :)

Jane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jane said...

Your mom's the best, Lucy.

CrystalGB said...

What a great mom you have. Thank you for sharing with us.

Amy said...

You have a wonderful mom. Great pic of Mom and your oldest

lidia said...

Lucy,

What a great post. Your Mom is an awesome lady. So wonderful to know that she didn't let her own life color what she passed down to her children.

Your kids are very lucky to have her for a grandmother.

Seneca said...

Your mom sounds wonderful :-)
I don't have a great relationship with my mother, but one one piece of advice she gave me that has always stuck is to put an ice cube or two into a bowl of soup to cool it down faster.
It's a neat trick, and my kids love dropping the ice into their soup.

Stefanie said...

Your mom sounds fantastic!

Virginia said...

Your mom sounds like a jewel! I know my mother was a wise women and I wish I had listen to her on some things.

robynl said...

very good advice indeed and lucky you to have a Mom such as she is.

flchen1 said...

Thank you for sharing about your family, Lucy--you're all very blessed to have such a supportive and loving network!