Wednesday, January 07, 2009

I'm feeling pretty good today!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

That's what goes on in my head when I'm feeling curious and generous at the same time. What would happen if instead of giving away one book this week, I gave three??? That might make some others in a good mood.

That being said - Crystal GB & Raven99 you have both won copies of "The Spy Who Wants Me." I'm still not done though! I will still be giving away a copy tomorrow.

However, I'm still feeling pretty generous. Here is the deal! For the first 5 people to comment on this post, I will send them a special Lucy envelope with some goodies to your home. Be sure to write in and I will announce all the winners tomorrow. Good Luck and Enjoy an excerpt from "The Spy Who Wants Me."


They were on the way back to Beau’s place when he said, “Tell me about Kyle.”

“He was my husband.”

“I know that from this morning. He died.”

“Yes.”

“And your family isn’t supposed to talk about him?”

“I guess so. I never knew Baba put the moratorium on it, but I’m grateful. For a long time after he died, I felt like I had too and hearing his name hurt more than anything I’d ever known.”

“And now?”

“It still hurts, but I can think about him with pleasure too.”

“Remembering the good times?”

“Something like that.”

“What happened?”

Memories that at one time had been sharp and suffocating now played through her mind like an old movie reel. “He was a witness in a bank robbery gone bad. They took him as a hostage and then killed him.”

“Shit.”

“Yeah.”

“Were you on the recovery team?”

“I’m not a police officer. I’m a private consultant and I was consulting.” She hadn’t even been in town when it happened. Losing her husband had nearly destroyed her. Knowing that if she had been in town, maybe she could have saved him added salt to a wound that would never completely heal.

“I’m a damn good security consultant, but I never taught him self-defense. How stupid was that?” Oh, man, she’d never admitted that particular guilt out loud. “He didn’t even have a pocket knife for use as a weapon. I could have taught him how to use one to effect, but I thought he was safe. He was a professor, you know? What was going to happen to him? A poisoned apple from a disgruntled student. We used to joke about it. Doesn’t feel so funny now.”

What was the matter with her? Did she have diarrhea of the mouth?

“Elle, sugar, I think you should pull over and let me drive.”

“What?” She swiped at her cheeks. “Why?”

“You’re crying.”

“No, I’m not. Crying is for the weak and I’m strong.”

“Princess, stop the car. Now.”

Elle found herself obeying, pulling into a layby and turning off the sports car’s purring engine.

Beau unbuckled both their seatbelts and then pulled her against his chest and damned if she didn’t let loose a sob. “Why didn’t I teach him, Beau? Why was I so stupid?”

“Did he want to learn?”

“No. Kyle was a pacifist. He hated weapons and fighting.” But he’d loved her. He had never once asked Elle to change careers. He’d always supported her. “I failed him.”

“It doesn’t sound like that to me. He wouldn’t have let you teach him if you offered.”

“I did offer.” And Beau was right. Kyle had turned her down. “I should have made him.”

“When you love someone, you respect their choices. You can’t force yours on them.” He said it with such certainty, she could tell he knew exactly what he was talking about.

“But he would be alive right now.”

“No. You can’t change the past no matter how much you want to, not even in your own mind. If Kyle was a pacifist, he wouldn’t have fought the kidnappers regardless.”

“To save his own life…”

“You can’t change who he was and you wouldn’t want to, would you?”

“No.” She had loved Kyle so much. “He was an amazing man.”

“It’s not your fault he’s gone.”

“It feels like it. I should have been there to save him.”

“Maybe then you would be dead now along with him.”

“I’m good at what I do.”

Beau chuckled. “All right, princess, no slurs on your deadliness, but all the what ifs in the world aren’t going to bring Kyle back. They just make you miserable and I’m sure that’s not what he would have wanted.”

“How do you know?”

“He loved you. When you love someone, you want them to be happy.”

Elle let the words sink in as she laid one ghost to rest anyway. Kyle would not have wanted to learn self-defense and might very well have refused to use it if she had succeeded in bullying him into the lessons. She would never lose all the guilt she felt about being on assignment when her husband’s life was taken, but like Beau said…the past could not be changed.

She realized she was snuggled into his muscular arms, having soaked his shirt with tears. Mortified at her weakness, she pushed away from him. “Maybe you should drive the rest of the way.”

Her eyes were still blurry.

“No problem.” The glee in Beau’s voice brought a small smile to her lips.

He definitely liked the idea of driving her car.




13 comments:

Amy S. said...

Congrats Crystal GB and Raven99! Great excerpt!

sarabelle said...

WTG CrystL GB and Raven99. Thanks for the excerpt it was great.

Ladyhawk said...

Congrats Crystal GB and Raven99!

I love this scene! It is so spot on about the "rats" running around in your brain when something bad happens. It breaks my heart, and then I laugh at Beau's glee at driving the car, because I can hear it, despite the seriousness of the moment. And interestingly enough, it doesn't feel jarring at all. Thanks for the excerpt!
~Judy

Stacy S said...

Congrats Crystal & Raven. Great excerpt.

Marie said...

Great excerpt :)

Michele L. said...

Way to go Crystal and Raven99! Woohoo!

Great excerpt today! The weather here has been crazy! Snow, rain and sleet! Yuck!

How is the weather your way?
Michele L.

Michele L. said...

Hi Lucy,

Forgot to mention, your book, THE SPY WHO WANTS ME, sounds fantastic! I love spy books! Crystal and Raven99 are lucky girls!

Have a great week Lucy!
Michele L.

Jane said...

Thanks for the excerpt. Congrats to Crystal and Raven99.

Amy said...

Congrats Ladies! The Spy Who Want's me was a fantastic read. I could not put it down until I was finished reading it.

Marilyn Shoemaker said...

Congrats everyone.

The cover is wonderful Lucy and I enjoyed reading the excerpt.

This Washington weather is driving me crazy.....today high winds and rain, yuck, at least no snow this past week.

limecello said...

Congrats ladies- and to the first 5 commenters! I'm really excited about "The Spy Who Wants Me" and have it on my list :)

Vicky said...

Can't wait to read The Spy Who Wants Me!

CrystalGB said...

Thank you so much! Congratulations to Raven99.
Loved the excerpt. :)