Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Wed Teaser - And Able

I have compiled another excerpt for your enjoyment! Hope you all have a great day and be sure to send Lucy and I your blog comments.


{Excerpt}

The hostess stopped at a table that overlooked the ocean. "Will this do?"

"It's perfect," Claire breathed, loving the view and approving the fact that the table was not off in a secluded corner somewhere.

She needed all the help she could get in fighting her cravings for Brett. Being in the full view of the rest of the restaurant should help.

A half an hour later, she was questioning her easy confidence. Brett managed to make even the simplest gesture sexy. Not only had he made buttering bread look like it should be an indoor sport for adults only, but by the time he ate three bites of the appetizer, her gaze was glued to his lips.

Memories coursed through her of how those lips felt against her skin.

His legs kept straying to her side of the table, too. He would apologize, but then moved them with a subtle caress that left her breathing erratic and her heart rate elevated. As if it wasn't elevated enough just by his presence.

They were eating their main course when she gave up and just sat back to watch him. She might not have a lifetime with him, but that didn't mean she couldn't enjoy the here and now.

"What?" he asked, all innocence, one blonde brow raised in inquiry.

"You're really good at the seduction thing."

"Seduction thing? I'm merely enjoying my dinner, darlin'." He smiled and her toes curled in her sandals. "The seducing comes later."

She shook her head, not buying it for a minute. "You are so trying to prove that I cannot resist you."

Both brows went up at that. "Can you?"

"Probably not, but I don't think you are being fair."

"What's not fair about eating dinner?"

"It's the way you eat."

His leg slid along her naked calf. "You think?"

She stifled a gasp and tucked her legs under her chair. "That smug attitude is going to get you into trouble."

"In what way?"

"It would serve you right if I insisted on sleeping alone tonight."

"Are you going to?"

That had been her plan. Things had gotten out of control and she didn't see rampant sex helping get them back to manageable levels. However, she wasn't sure it would hurt either. Nothing, not even rigid celibacy was going to undo the fact that they had made love without protection the first time.

She took a deliberate sip of water and then carefully put her glass down. "The jury is still out on that one."

"Is there anything I can do to sway the vote?"

"Don't pretend you aren't already doing it."

"But I can turn it up a notch, if you think it'll make a difference."

The fiend.

"Do that, and I'll need an asbestos suit to keep sitting here." She was already hot enough to melt metal. "I'd rather you cooled off."

"We can go for a swim after dinner. That ought to cool both of us off."

"In the ocean?" She shuddered. Even in the height of summer, the water was cold enough to numb a person's extremities.

"In the hotel pool. It's outdoor and it's heated. It overlooks the ocean, but there's a glass wind barrier."

"Wow." It sounded really neat. And swimming in a public pool had to be safer than eating an intimate dinner for two with a man who could seduce a woman with the way he buttered rolls. "I wish we could."

"Why can't we?"

"I don't have a swim suit."

"Sure you do."

She groaned. "You bought me one of those too?" There went her nest egg to tide her over while she looked for a job. "But we never said anything about going swimming."

"A man can hope."

"I suppose it's a bikini."

"There's another kind of swimsuit?"

"Yes," she said in exasperation. "The modest one-piece or tankini...the kind I usually wear, not that I go swimming all that often."

Which had to have been glaringly apparent when she gingerly climbed into the shallow end of the pool while he dove in at the deep end, and swam the length with sure strokes.

She wasn't even very good at dog paddling, so she played in the shallow water while he swam several laps without stopping. Some teenagers were playing a dunking game and yet, Brett never bumped into any of them.

The kids climbed out and headed for the hot tub just as he went under water about halfway down the pool. In the gathering darkness, she couldn't see where he was.

Suddenly, he erupted out of the water in front of her, spraying her with cool droplets. "Why don't you swim with me?"

"I don't know how."

"But you said you wanted to come swimming."

She smiled. "Not everyone swims in a swimming pool. I like playing in the water."

The second she said it, she knew it was the wrong thing to utter.

His expression took on predatory intent. "Do you now? What a coincidence, so do I."

"I don't think we're talking about the same kind of playing." And it certainly wasn't the kind that would cool her off.

He crowded her up against the pool wall, his big body blocking out her awareness of anyone and anything else. Even the cool water around her only registered on a periphery level.

His hands cupped her face. "Do you want me to teach you how to swim, or would you rather play?"

Oh, man. He really was lethal. "What sort of play did you have in mind?" she asked in a husky voice she barely recognized.

His hand slid down her back and cupped her bottom through the bikini pants. "I'm sure we'll think of something."

"In a public swimming pool?"

"We could always go back to the room."

It was tempting. Incredibly so. She wanted to just melt against him, but the lure of learning how to swim shimmered in her mind. It was something she had always wanted to do, but had never gotten the chance.

She put her hands against his wet chest, the warmth there making her fingertips tingle. "Would you really teach me to swim?"


14 comments:

flchen1 said...

And another great teaser!

Cryna said...

Andre you picked another great excerpt. I am going to have to reread this series again.........this only makes you want to know more........LOL

Stacy S said...

I'm with Cryna on this, it's time to reread this series.

limecello said...

I love it! Great excerpt. :D

CrystalGB said...

Another great excerpt. :)

Judy said...

I love Lucy's humor. I laughed out loud at the buttering rolls and this:

"I suppose it's a bikini."

"There's another kind of swimsuit?"

"Yes," she said in exasperation.

I can clearly see their faces in this exchange. I also found it very touching that Brett truly is willing to teach Claire to swim. Lucy's characters always connect on multiple layers; it makes them more real.

Thanks for the teaser!

Amy said...

Another great excerpt from And Able.

Susan said...

Andre, you do a great job picking excerpts!

Jane said...

Brett has a great sense of humor.

Michele L. said...

I loved this one! The humor is great! It is going to be hard to say which book is my favorite. Ok, I know, all of them! Keep them coming!

Michele L.

AuthorIsland.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AuthorIsland.com said...

Hi there - just wanted to let everyone know AND ABLE is the AuthorIsland.com BOOK OF THE DAY today (Friday, Sept 12)- so be sure and check it out on our front page!

And I'd like to thank Lucy for putting a copy of this up for grabs for our readers - YOU ROCK LUCY!!

DeNita
AuthorIsland.com

kimmyl said...

Loved the excerpt!!!! Can't wait to read more.

Nathalie said...

I read the series and loved it!