Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Wed - Resolved Issues & And Able Excerpt

Hello Everyone,

It seems that people were having issues viewing the blog yesterday. First, I have to say thank you for making me aware of the issue.

So this is what happened. I posted a blog on Monday that had internal scripts that for some reason did not transfer over in function and instead formatted itself as a jpg image file. Normally this would be ok, however, when blogger decided to re-format this item, it left all the script code in the image HTML, but didn't actually run the code. For some reason this code was viewed by differently between Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. As of now, I deleted Monday's posting and fixed some sizing issues in yesterday's posting. Everything should be fine - but you know how that goes! Let me know if you see anything that looks strange.

Seeing that this problem came up, I had an idea to discuss some browser issues. As some of you may know, I'm addicted to coding and web design. One of the major factors us web designers need to take into consideration is how web pages are viewed. If you play on the internet even just a little bit, you are aware of what people call the "browser wars." If you are unfamiliar, let me give you a quick overview. Every time we go to view the internet, we use an application/program called a browser such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Opera, Google Chrome, and the list goes on. Well, fortunately for us we have some choices in picking a browser. Unfortunately, we have some choices in picking a browser. The main confusion is that the same web page can sometimes look very different when viewed from one browser or another. Good Web designers strive to make pages accessible in every main browser. Yet sometimes this can become a huge challenge because different browsers can interpret the code differently. Luckily, the companies who create these browsers are understanding more and more that they need to make their browsers more compatible with each other. Within the past couple years stricter implications have been placed within the web community for better accessibility.

Recently, there has been a lot of browser competition. Numerous critical upgrades and emerging ideas have begun to change the playing field. For as long as I can remember Internet Explorer (Microsoft) has been the number one browser. IE still is number one but is losing it's viewers to an emerging competitor, Mozilla Firefox. As of right now, these are the two main browsers. I get asked this question a lot. Is one really better than the other? This is where is gets a little ugly - so I must warn you this is my opinion and the general agreement within the web development community. Personally, Firefox is the clear winner. Aside from viewing web pages faster, it also follows the W3C's strict standards better. Firefox is also extremely customizable with plugin's, addons, and viewing options. The browser's code and platform is available for submitting fixes to. So if people are having problems, they are also reporting bugs and fixes to Mozilla, thus making it function better. So why is it that IE is still number one? A couple main reasons. First, most computers (PC's) come with that browser already installed. Most people don't really care about all the extras, they just want to view the internet. Also, people still trust Microsoft (this is another huge debate!). These are the main reasons why people still stick with Internet Explorer. Actually, Lucy uses IE and I've been trying to change her ever since I started (no luck yet! hahaha). So whatever browser you choose to use, no worries. If you get a chance try Mozilla Firefox. It's free, secure, and really easy, you can even import all of your Internet Explorer bookmarks and settings! If you don't like it, just uninstall the program and continue using IE, no biggie!

Well now that all of you are bored out of your minds! - I have prepared another excerpt from And Able! Your comments are greatly appreciated! And if you have any other questions about the blog or my web design, let me know!

Enjoy...


"You hungry for lunch?"

"I didn't realize it was that late." She looked down at her watch and realized she'd been in the bedroom for more than an hour. "I guess I could eat something."

"Do you want to order or do you trust me to order for you?"

She shrugged. "I trust you."

"Do you?"

Her brow wrinkled in confusion. "Yes."

"I've been going over Arwan's notes."

She noticed that he used the assassin name to refer to Lester in that role as well. It seemed right because from what she could tell, Lester had been two different people....at least he'd lived two very separate lives. "Find anything?"

"I'm not sure about the case yet. I'm going over it as I type it into a database that I will cross reference with Collins' report. But I did find something I thought might interest you."

"What?"

"Arwan didn't take every job. In fact, he was very particular about the jobs he did take. He refused to kill unless the danger to national security or the security of others could be proven to his satisfaction."

"What about the private jobs?" she couldn't help asking.

"There weren't that many, but the reasons for the contracts being taken out were ones that Arwan believed justified his involvement."

"Like what?" She desperately wanted to understand.

"Like a man who beat his wife to death and was doing a damn fine job on his children until their grandfather hired Arwan to take him out. There weren't as many laws in place to protect domestic abuse victims back in the fifties as there are now. That grandfather saw no other way to protect his family and Arwan agreed."

She shouldn't feel relief, but she did. The idea of vigilante justice wasn't acceptable and yet, how could she condemn a grandfather for wanting to protect his grandchildren from their violent father? A man who had already killed his wife...the man's daughter.

Her eyes filled with tears and she averted her face so Brett wouldn't see them. "You're right. Knowing that helps a lot. Thank you."

"If it helps so much, why won't you look at me?"

She shrugged and surreptitiously wiped at her eyes. "No reason. I'm just watching the show."

"And that's more important that what I told you about Lester?" he asked.

"Arwan, you mean."

"They were the same man."

So much for her theory. "Well, yes, but..."

Brett sat down beside her and tugged on her chin until she was looking at him. "Why are you crying?"

"I'm relieved and I shouldn't be, but I am."

He shook his head. "I'm never going to understand you, am I?"

She shrugged. "Probably not. I don't think our brains are wired the same way."

"Does that bother you?" he asked with a probing intensity she didn't understand.

"Not really. Josette informs me that it's a man-woman thing."

"And you think that's all it is?"

"Yes." She didn't get the underlying significance of his question, but she could sense that he wanted something from her. Some kind of assurance, but she didn't know about what. And since she didn't know what it was, she didn't know how to give it either. "What is it, Brett? What do you need?"

His eyes went smoky, just that fast. "I always need you."

As his mouth took possession of hers, she was sure that needy passion wasn't what his odd looks had been about, but she didn't hesitate to respond to him. He made her burn and she was only too happy to go up in flames.

Afterward, they ordered lunch and took a shower while they were waiting for it. He kept dropping the soap and then going searching for it, his mouth and his hands managing to caress every square inch of her in the process. She was leaning against the wall, panting, after a shattering orgasm when room service knocked on the suite's door.

Brett did a quick dry off and then wrapped the towel around his waist to saunter into the main living area. The man had no shame, but he sure was fun.

She finished her shower, threw on a tank top she usually wore under other things and a pair of shorts she never wore in public.

His wolf whistle of appreciation when she went into the living room made her grin and get all shivery at the same time. He was still wearing the towel while he set the food out and she did a little whistling of her own. That elicited retaliation in the nicest possible way and she thought later it was a good thing her food had been cold already, because they sure didn't get to it immediately.

After lunch, she called the professor that wore the same cologne as the guy who had attacked her. Once she knew its name, Brett insisted on running downtown and getting a bottle so he could smell it too. He wanted to be on the alert.

After sniffing it and pronouncing it way too girlie of a scent for a real man, he recapped the fragrance bottle and tossed it in the bag.

When they got back to the hotel, she did the comparison of her list with Collins' report while Brett finished entering the names from Arwan's kill book in the database.

The phone rang a little later and Brett answered it while she saved Collins' report with her additions in it. There had only been two and she figured they were both useless, one being a doctor who had worked with Lester since he first became a resident of Belmont Manor and the other a small group of politicians who had visited the Manor a few weeks before. They hadn't been there during her shift, but Queenie had told her about the visit. It had upset her. While they had not been Lester's visitors per se, they had seen him.

She smiled as Brett hung up the phone. "Who was that?"

"Ethan. He identified the men in black at the funeral. They work for a director with a lot of clout in Washington."

"Who is he?"

"Raymond Arthur. Ethan ran a background check on him. He's a former military hard-ass with some questionable mission directives in his past."

"What do you mean?"

"He isn't known for showing scruples when it comes to getting the job done. I wouldn't be surprised if a good portion of Arwan's later hits were ordered by him."

"Do you think he would have had Lester killed to keep the government's secrets?"

Brett's expression was grim. "It's possible. This guy sounds like the type that would have thrived during the secrecy surrounding our efforts in The Cold War."

"What are we going to do about it?"

"We're going to call on him while we are on the East Coast and we are going to force a meeting with his two agents. One of them has gray eyes and a medium build."

"Like the man who tried to smother me with a pillow?"

"Yes. If they are responsible, there will be hell to pay from here to the next election." The soldier who went into battle and knew how to do whatever it took to win gazed out from Brett's glacier cold blue gaze.

She could almost feel sorry for the government agents in question.





18 comments:

flchen1 said...

Thanks for the explanation and the excerpt!! Glad things are better :) And yep, we love Firefox!

Maura Anderson said...

LOL - well, Andre, I have to take issue with FireFox being "secure". As a software security engineer, I'd go for "more secure" because it doesn't run ActiveX which is a huge security issue.

But not "secure" - it has and will continue to be hacked. The effort and amount of hacking is directly proportional to the market share and chances of obtaining a big bang for the hacking buck.

Yes, I run both, depending on what I'm trying to do.

Jlynn said...

I don't know that much about computers, your explanation was understandable, but I'm to afraid to try anything with my computer. Enjoyed the excerpt. I also liked Ready and Willing.

Jlynn said...

I forgot to say "Aloha from AuthorIsland." It shows I don't blog that often. LOL

Virginia said...

Aloha from AuthorIsland. Just found your blog again. My dear hubby screwed up my computer a while back and had to reload it. I lost everything. He is still in the dog house!!! No change on him getting out very soon either!

Michele L. said...

Hello there Andre,

Ok, that's what was going on with the blog. I was wondering what was up.

I haven't tried FireFox. I have always used Internet Explorer and am happy with it. Thanks for mentioning FireFox though! As always you are such a nice guy! You have done an awesome job keeping us all entertained with great excerpts!

Have a wonderful Thursday!
Michele L.

Andre Martinez (Promo Guy) said...

Nice! I love your comments - It's cool that readers of a completely different interest (romance) can also discuss something like technology! Very cool!

Maura, you make a great point I never considered. ActiveX does have some get arounds that people are still managing to slip into. Yet, I personally haven't run into any issues. Internet Explorer may advise you whether to run ActiveX content or disable it entirely. But it also lacks Mozilla's ability to block JavaScript & Java which has also been known for security holes. This is just my opinion but I would say that regardless of how much more secure you are with choosing your browser- an individual could do something unintentional like viewing a potentially hazardous website and could install material that could harm their computer AFTER BEING WARNED BY THE BROWSER! Even if this content is disabled - you can lose accessibility when viewing web pages. If being secure was that much of an issue, I would advise not even having an internet connection or having a home network. Would you guys believe me if I told you it's not that hard to drive around in a car looking for wireless connections(secured or unsecured) find a PC that has McAfee, remotely log into their system and steal their hard drive! A little luck and some software and this is unfortunately possible!

In general- If you go around playing with fire, you will eventually get burned! A few years back I used to play around with P2P and torrent's. Guess what? One day I got burned, BAD!!! No amount of security will protect you fully. try something for me...

OPEN GOOGLE and type in HACK INTO SOMEONES COMPUTER. Yeah, it's that big of a deal! So use good judgment out there!

I can't believe I missed such as huge issue! This is why I love all of your comments. So please remember that I actually read each and every one and appreciate them!

>>>Remember<<< Lucy is posting tomorrow so don't miss out! You ladies could use a break from my antics...

Goodnight Everyone!

Brandy said...

Since I'm married to a computer geek, I let him handle our computer issues. But, I'll be sure to tell him about your thoughts. *G*

And the excerpt from And Able? THANKS! *G*

Cryna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cryna said...

Thanks Andre for the explanation - and as I am not that computer literate am so glad that you could fix things for us.

Loved the excerpt, I have dug my trilogy out and going to be rereading them. I have semi caught up on my other reading. You do a great job of picking the excerpts.

Thanks for that, and your help.

Amy said...

Thanks for getting the problem with the board fixed Andre. I am not very good with the techinal side of computers so I will probably stick to what I have IE. But thanks for letting us know about Firefox(I had never heard of it)
Loved the excerpt!

Jane said...

I'm so glad I'm using Mozilla.

WK said...

great excerpt. I like IE myself but then I haven't tried any others so I really can't compare them.

I may at some point, but for now, it's just easier to stick with IE.

hugs,
Wendyk

Maureen said...

My kids use FireFox and I downloaded it but always end up using Explorer. Thanks for the excerpt!

limecello said...

Yet another great excerpt :D
I love Firefox. I started using the browser Opera about 10 years ago - and did until about 5 years ago - and started using FF. Clear winner. FF is more like IE, but better.

Vicky said...

Aloha from AuthorIsland! I have talked to you before about your mercenary trilogy. I still haven't read And Able. I'm so sad. I can't find it anywhere!!! :( But I remember you saying they were going to be re-released, so I need to start scouring the shelves again. Lol. Anyway, you're awesome, and I'll keep looking!

TamiC said...

ALOHA FROM AUTHORISLAND!!

I loved the excerpt! This series sounds HOT HOT HOT! Have a great day.

Susan said...

I have both IE and Firefox installed. I find that I use Firefox most of the time, I just like it more.

Andre, you pick the best excerpts!

Aloha from AuthorIsland!