Thursday, July 10, 2008

A story from anj...

I took a look at your comments from yesterday! I really enjoyed reading those quotes and I appreciate that you all took the time to think of something. Lucy is extremely hard at work on her new releases and she wanted to let you all know she really misses blogging with all of you. Remember that Lucy is giving away weekly prizes for blog comments, so tune in!

Well, today is Thursday (the week went by quick didn’t it?) and I thought I’d tell a little story from my past. I used to be in a band a couple of years back and we did some extensive touring in the northwest. I clearly remember one show where my life was changed forever. We had played in Lebanon, Oregon the night before and found ourselves at Crossroads Community Church in Vancouver, WA the next day. Every preparation was the same as it always was. Unpacked our gear, set up the “merch table”, meet the people at the venue, hang out with the other bands, take a nap in the van before the show, call the girlfriend, sound check, and then wait for the show to begin. This was a special show for a couple of reasons. First, we were on tour with some big names in our genre (Falling Up, A Dream Too Late, ect.). Second, every show had been packed!!! I’m not sure if some of you have been to Crossroads, but it’s one of those mega churches that hold a lot of people. If you live in Oregon it’s about the same size as Rolling Hills! Anyways, we went ahead and played our set as best as we always did. WOW, we got a great response from the crowd and the kids were going nuts. I even remember almost passing out because I was delivering so much energy in my drumming. We finished up our set and got the gear back in the van and relaxed by the “merch table”. We would usually sit at our table so we could connect with our fans. That night brought someone special. A young boy came over and asked me about my drumming. He was probably about eight years old and had the face of an angel. While we were talking he inquired about the t-shirts, stickers, and CD’s. He held a twenty dollar bill in his little hands and couldn’t make up his mind. He then gained interest in our coffee jar made for my project. I explained what it was all about. This jar was an idea I had come up with after I had seen Jars of Clay talk about their Blood Water Mission Campaign. I partnered with their mission and created The Canopy Project, which donated money to build wells in Africa. As a band we would also donate 10 percent of everything we made on the road to the project. When I told the boy about this jar he looked at me in a way I can’t really describe. It was almost as if he was looking through me. Without hesitation he put the twenty dollars in the jar. He didn’t finish there either, the boy went around telling others about my project and what it stood for. Soon enough, he came back with a load of cash. ALL IN THE JAR IT WENT, Unbelievable!!! I came from behind the desk and gave that boy the biggest hug I had ever given. Before he left he looked into my eyes again in the same way he had done before. I swear, to this day I believe that was more than just a boy. Call me crazy if you will but I bet that was a real angel from God! I know, I know, I can’t explain it and will never be able to. I’m telling you, I felt something very real, something that sent shivers up my back, literally! That boy changed my life with a simple gesture. Hopefully one day I will be able to do the same to someone else. There really is meaning to the saying "A kind gesture can pass its way along in big ways."

As always I look forward to your comments. Stay in the shade and keep cool!

10 comments:

Brandy said...

I have no doubt that angles walk among us. What an amazing story!

Cheri2628 said...

What a wonderful story! I, too, believe in angels.

Judy said...

What a remarkable experience, Andre. When people tell me how awful the world is these days, THIS is the kind of thing that reminds me how much good there is. I wonder what else that young man has accomplished. Thanks for sharing the story.

Amy said...

What a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing Andre.

Stacy~ said...

Wow, what an amazing experience. I got tears in my eyes imagining that little boy, or that angel, standing in front of you with those eyes. Thank you for sharing this - it's a good reminder when you've had a bad day that miracles happen in the most ordinary of circumstances, and we are blessed every single day, and it's sad that we don't always realize it.
I appreciate the reminder.

Would love to hear your music - is there a way we can get copies of your CD's?

Cryna said...

What a wonderful story, and thank you for sharing. I do believe that there are angels.

flchen1 said...

What an amazing story--thank you so much for sharing it! It's amazing, the ways that God uses individuals to encourage us and do great things!

kimmyl said...

What a great story. I believe angels exist.

Angie-la said...

I love to hear stories like that! Kids are the heart and soul of our future.
So, was your band contemporary Christian? Jars of Clay is one of my all time favorites...next to Third Day and Switchfoot!
My son plays guitar in our church praise and worship band, United by One and the Vision Youth Band. I am extremely proud of him!
If you are interested check them out here
http://www.myspace.com/bradleywebbermusic

robynl said...

that touched my heart; thanks for telling us this story.