Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Ready Teaser!

Today is another perfect day to give a new excerpt from Lucy's new release Ready! To celebrate Ready, Lucy will be giving away a signed cover flat, a really neat datakeeper, and a lollipop. Be sure to check out other contest information on the post below. Enjoy the excerpt!!!

{EXCERPT}

“Joshua, you’ve got the wrong build to be anyone’s mother, so stop trying to molly-coddle me, okay? If I say I’m up to writing, then that’s what I mean.” Cryin’ out loud, couldn’t she even try for diplomatic?

But then the subtly of a Mack truck might be lost on this man.

“You’re damn stubborn.”

“I had a good teacher. Have you ever had an argument with Jake?”

“Yeah, over me staying with you. I won.”

“Well, you’re not going to win this one.” She opened the side pocket of her computer case and pulled out the small Dana. “I’ll just settle into your chair over there and write, okay?”

His eyes narrowed dangerously, reminding her he would always be more predator than patsy. “If you weren’t so fragile, I’d convince you to stay in that bed with no problem.”

She tucked the Dana under her arm and grabbed her notepad and pen out of another pocket in her bag. “If I wasn’t recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning, you wouldn’t be trying to get me there in the first place.”

He took two giant steps, closing the distance between them and shrinking her awareness of the room to the three square feet they occupied. She could smell the crisp air from outside clinging to his hair and skin, but also the indefinable pheromone cocktail that told her body her lover was excited.

Her gaze dropped to the front of his black jeans and she sucked in air, almost choking herself in the process. He wasn’t just mildly excited, the tight denim of his pants tented away from his body from his straining erection.

Sliding his long, calloused fingers around her neck, he cupped her nape.

His thumbs dipped underneath the crewnecks of both her t-shirt and sweatshirt to caress her collarbones, sending shivers of gooseflesh cascading over her breasts. “Are you sure about that?”

Desire flooded her senses, adding to the volatile emotional cocktail traveling through her bloodstream.

Her only defense was in making it a joke, no matter how serious it felt. “Are you saying you aren’t going to employ unfair tactics because of my recent brush with death?”

The color receded from his skin, leaving his usual tan vitality looking sickly and his eyes burned into her with disturbing intensity. “I’m sorry about that, Lise. I’d give anything to change what happened yesterday.”

“It’s not your fault.”

“I’m supposed to be protecting you and you could have died.”

“You saved me.”

“Because I didn’t protect you well enough to begin with.”

“There was nothing you could have done, Joshua.”

She shook her head when he didn’t reply and his expression remained stoically unmoved. “You told me the risks. I chose to take them.”

“I wasn’t expecting him to tamper with your exhaust. We checked your car for tampering with the brakes and other vital systems, but everything looked good.”

“It’s not your fault.” She reached up and grasped his wrists, squeezing them. “You told me I couldn’t blame myself for the problems Nemesis has caused for my family and you can’t take responsibility for his desire to hurt me either.”

“Oh, baby.” His face nuzzled hers until his mouth settled against hers, kissing her with tender sweetness.

His body vibrated with sexual energy, but his lips were as gentle as anything she’d ever known. He might not love her, but he cared, more than he was willing to admit to, maybe even more than she dared hope.

20 comments:

Joyce said...

I really, really enjoyed this book.

flchen1 said...

Hooray on Ready's rerelease--hopefully lots more people will have the chance to enjoy it now!

Amy S. said...

Great excerpt!

kimmyl said...

Loved the excerpt. Can't wait to read the book.

Jeanette J said...

Nice excerpt..sounds great so far

Michele L. said...

Hi Lucy!

WOOHOO! Congratulations on the rerelease of your book! This is a gem of a book! I loved it!

You are a superb writer Lucy!
Have a wonderful week!
Hugs,
Michele L.

Michelle B said...

I just re-read this book as I was packing my collection for my move. I just love this series. And now I can buy the whole set as gifts at a more affordable price...well, once they're all out anyway:)

CrystalGB said...

Sounds great. :)

Cryna said...

Congratulations on the rerelease of Ready!! I so enjoyed this book. Great excerpt.

robynl said...

I have a feeling she would not mind so much if Joshua used 'unfair tactics'; I'm sure she secretly wants him too.
Great excerpt and congrats on the re-release.

Jane said...

He can convince me to stay in bed.

traveler said...

Unforgettable excerpt! This is one book that I am ready to read now. Thanks for the excerpt.

photoquest said...

Wonderful excerpt this is going on my wish list!

Brandy said...

I have this book, and the other two on my Keeper shelves because that's where they belong. Lucy, you write KEEPERS!
Congratulations on the rerelease of Ready!

Amy said...

I love Ready. It is one of my favorites by Lucy.

Tee said...

Lucy I loved this book and it is on mykeeper shelf, but than again all your books are....

Hugs

Sandra08081998 said...

Lucy,

Sounds great! I'll have to buy a copy of this book!

Nathalie said...

I also have it :)

limecello said...

I'm so excited these books are being re-released :). I read them in the Trade size - but will probably buy the MMPB's.

Dina said...

This really sounds great, will have to read it.