Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Beach Reads by Kate Davies

It's that time of year again, at least here in the Northern Hemisphere. Summer, when the nights are shorter, the days are (theoretically) warmer, and the kids are out of school for a good long stretch of time. The perfect time to find a good beach read.

What makes a perfect beach read? For me, it needs to be something fun, positive, fast-paced and romantic. In other words, a romance! When I go on vacation, I always bring along a handful of books, from series contemporary to romantic suspense to paranormal. And now that I've gotten hooked on e-books, I can pack even more! (Which is a good thing, considering the new baggage fees the airlines are imposing.)

My newest release, Hooked, is a beach read of a different sort – it's set in a beach town. Now, we're not talking Florida or California or someplace warm and tropical. No, my fictional Westhaven is on the coast of Washington, which never saw a 60 degree day it didn't like.

That's not to say there aren't all the typical beach accoutrements. Westhaven has surfers galore, only they suit up in full wetsuits to stay warm in the chilly weather. Bonfires and beach parties are just as much fun here as they are at points south. And who can turn down a chance to watch the waves crashing on the shore – even if you have to wear a sweater while doing it?

So if you've got vacation plans in the works, here's wishing you some great beach reads – and maybe a beach or two as well.

What's your favorite beach read? Or your favorite beach? :) One commenter will win an e-copy of Hooked.


Kate

12 comments:

Jen in WA said...

I'm not near a beach, so it's hard to pick a favorite. However, I love that you don't need a beach for a beach read. :D

When I'm picking a beach read, I tend to shy away from books that are going to make me think. So, thrillers and romantic suspense are out. I also don't like to lug around a big book. So, I tend to pick smaller stories. I think anthologies are great beach reads.

Bunny B said...

My fave beach read would be any kind of fun and light chick lit. My fave beach would have to be the ones in Phuket!

acdaisy95 said...

My favorite beach book or summer read would also be a chick lit because they are humorous.

Amy said...

We don't go to the beach alot. We have only been a couple of times but my favorite spot (that I have been to) is Panama City

My favorite beach reads are any books that I happen to have in my TBR pile at the time. Or a book by one of my favorite authors

Jane said...

The nicest beach I've been to is Waikiki Beach. I'm a big fan of romantic suspense, so that's what I'll bring to the beach.

Stacy~ said...

I'm not near a beach either, plus I have a hard time reading in a crowded, noisy place, but I do enjoy sitting outside on a nice day and reading - usually a Brava romance is just the thing. They are sexy and romantic but not too complicated or serious. The perfect beach read.

Kate Davies said...

Thanks for commenting, guys! The beaches nearest my home aren't really conducive to lying for hours reading a book in the sunlight -- they're more the "pounding-surf-wild-winds" sort -- but I love them anyway! I love the suggested beach reads as well. I'm a big fan of anthologies, too...and Brava puts out some excellent ones! Samhain's got some new print anthologies coming out as well, all with summer themes. I'm looking forward to checking them out as well.

Michelle B said...

Hmmm, I'm not sure I have a favorite beach read or even a favorite beach. I do love the beach, though!

I like Waikiki beach, but I also love the beach in Coronado outside the Del and Mission Beach with the roller coaster.

I tend to like going to the beach when it's less crowded. I like to either sit and read just listening to the waves or walk along the shore line (even by myself!)

Sarai said...

Okay sadly enough I am in the middle of a pasture not anywhere near a beach but when I go to the pool I like funny light hearted books. Like Katie MacAlister with her sense of humor or Mary Janice Davidson something light that I don't have to pay close attention too!

flchen1 said...

Our beaches are pretty chilly (not the type to lounge on, for sure), but I love reading the Bad Boys anthologies for beach reading--not too long, but fun stories, and hot, of course!

Kate Davies said...

Hey, pools work! Plus, they usually have lounge chairs to borrow for some serious reading time. :)

And those Bad Boys do bring on the heat, don't they?

Denysé said...

Hi, Kate!

I live on the East Coast of Canada, lots of incredible beaches here. As long as it's ocean, it's gorgeous. Peggy's Cove is one of the most famous spots in this country and it really is beautiful with the old lighthouse doubling for a post office...

Beach reads? As long it's romance, it's fabulous!!!

Blessings to all....
Denyse