Monday, June 02, 2008

Mystery Monday - SWAMPED BY SPANIARDS

Hi Lucy - and as always my very special thanks to you for inviting me along to guest on your blog again. I had so much fun last time and I'm really looking forward to being with you and your friends again.

As I write for Harlequin Presents, I often have to decide on the nationality of my hero. And part of the fantasy of Mills & Boon Modern/Harlequin Presents is the fact that the heroes are more often than not Mediterranean men – Italians, Spaniards, and those so very-very popular Greek Tycoons. The Greek Tycoon books just fly off the shelf but I can’t always be writing a Greek hero – that would bore me, and my readers – and besides sometimes it seems that everyone else in the world is writing Greek hero story.

There are characteristics that fit some nationalities, and some that are more suited to others, and so I need to take these into consideration when I’m choosing my hero. And that’s what I’m doing at the moment – starting work on a brand new story. My latest titles (my 54th) has just been accepted and my editor is ringing me this week to discuss future plans so I have to have some ideas to talk over with her. So right now I have just the seed of an idea.

My hero won’t be a Greek though. I wrote a Greek hero the book before last and he was such a strong character that I’ll need to wait for a while before I can think of writing another of his fellow countrymen. And the new man won’t be Spanish either. I love writing Spanish heroes, they have a power and an passion that creates a wonderful hero, one who strikes sparks of his heroine and turns the book into an emotional tango – all fire and burn. But at the moment I have rather too many Spaniards to deal with – as the title of this blog says, I’m swamped by them.

My newest book is out in June. Spanish Billionaire, Innocent Wife is the title – so that gives away the hero’s nationality, doesn’t it? .And the book I just had accepted (Cordero’s Forced Bride) also has a sexy sensual Spaniard as its hero. He was a bit of a struggle to write – some guys put up a struggle before they get to their Happy Ever After ending , and Santos was one of those. But he’s given in now, declared his love for his heroine and the book is bought and scheduled for next March. But that battle with Santos has put me off writing another Spaniard for a while too.

Then, as if that wasn’t enough, I have Spaniards from the past coming back to join me all over again. Back in 2004, I wrote The Alcolar Family Trilogy – and this year those three books are being reprinted in a 3 in 1 By Request edition in July in the UK. And I had the good news too that The Alcolar Family will also be reprinted in an ebooks ‘Bundle’ on eHarlequin this month. More Spaniards.

Even the special short story I have in the Mills & Boon Centenary Celebration Collection has a Spanish hero! If you haven’t seen these – because they’re just published in the UK – the Celebration Collection is an exclusive collection of 24 novellas by bestselling authors that are being brought out, 2 titles a month, as part of the special publications programme to mark Mills & Boon’s 100th birthday year. The editors have specially picked out 24 classic titles. The colourful covers have a unique retro branding. My story in this collection is The Duke’s Secret Wife which was originally in a 2 book collection Society Weddings, with another title by Sharon Kendrick. The Duke’s Secret Wife is being published in this special edition in August - at the same time as the reprint of The Alcolar Family.

So, as the title of this blog says, I’m swamped by Spaniards, and I think I’ll need to take a break from these guys – sexy and fabulous as they are – and find another nationality for my next Presents hero. Luckily I have a rather gorgeous Italian whispering in my ear and offering to tell me his story . . .

So what about you? What type of heroes do you like best? Do you swoon over a Spaniard, get intoxicated by an Italian, go gaga over a Greek Tycoon – or do you prefer your heroes home grown? I’d love to go write a British hero – or an Irishman – what do you think?

Post your thoughts in the comments and I’ll get Sid the cat to pick out a name as a winner in a couple of days time. I have a special prize of a signed copy of Spanish Billionaire, Innocent Wife – and I’ll slip one of those Centenary Celebration editions of The Duke’s Secret Wife into the envelope as well.

Happy June!
Kate

PS I have some special good news about my June release, but as I write this blog I can't quite announce it yet. But if you check out my blog - http://kate-walker.blogspot.com/ you'll find the details just as soon as I can post them.

39 comments:

Stacy~ said...

Congrats on writing your 54th book - what an amazing accomplishment!

Don't get me wrong, I love the Greek, Italian and Spanish men, but I know I would love to see a French, or Scottish, or even an Asian hero. That would be fabulous.

tetewa said...

Keep up the great writing and go for 55! Myself I enjoy Italians.

Kate Walker said...

Hi Stacy

I agree with you - lots of variety is good. There have been quite a few Frenchmen in Presents recently, and I understand that Penny Jordan is bringing out a romance with an Indian hero so there should be even more variety. But I once heard that people think Scotlan d is cold - too cold for a romantic hero! But not in Historical romances, it seems

Kate

Kate Walker said...

Hi tetewa

I'm planning my 55th title right now - and my hero is an Italian. So hopefully you'll enjoy this one

Kate

CrystalGB said...

All the heroes you described appeal to me. I love a strong alpha male.

Lucy Monroe said...

Hi, Kate. :) Welcome! Your heroes are fab regardless of their nationality. I'm eager to read Penny's book with the Indian hero. I'd like to see more Nordic heroes as I find the brooding blond giant mystique sexy - sadly, as yet I haven't had a story come to me with such a hero. LOL

robynl said...

I would love to read about a Scandinavian hero sometime; I love the accent. I do love the down home ones and also the ones you describe; variety is good!
congrats on #54.

Brandy said...

I seem to be in the minority. *G* I'd like to see a Scottish or Irish hero!

Cherie J said...

I would love to see you do a Cajun hero. I do enjoy the Greek, Italian, Birtish and Spanish ones as well. Love the accents.

flchen1 said...

Congrats, Kate!! You've much success to celebrate! I do love a variety of heroes--I'd be fascinated to read an Asian hero. I did read a couple with Asian villains, and have to say that turned me off a bit ;p

Keep on writing! :)

Jane said...

Hi Kate,
I'm quite partial to English and Scottish heroes, but I know there are hot men all over the world.

Amy said...

Hi Kate. I really don't have a favorite type of hero. As long as the hero is Alpha male I don't have what nationality he is.

I read Spanish Billionaire, Innocent Wife a few Months ago. I loved Raul and Alannah's story. The chemestry between those two was Sizzling.

Congrats on your 54th book.

Nathalie said...

I have to say I like Mediterranean heroes in general as they are quite the alpha males in the novels :)

Lily said...

Hi Kate,

I read your Alcolar Series and really liked it :) It was the first time - after Violet Winpsear - that I had read a book with a Spaniard.

However, I have to say I like all your heroes!

lidia said...

Kate,

Your 54th book -- Wow! What an accomplishment -- I remember your celebration.

A few months ago I was in the county library and came across a book by Y. Whittal with a German hero. I couldn't think of any other book with a German hero. The heroine's name was Cara and he referred to her as "liebchen" most of the time.

Much as I love all of the Latin and Greek heroes it was quite a refreshing change to read other endearments besides "agape mou" "cara" and "querida" if you know what I mean.

I had to laugh since when he called her Cara it made me think of the Italian "cara."

Anyway, as you always say, it is all "in the execution."

Dina said...

Wow Kate, on your 55th book! That's amazing, where do you continue to find your stories? :)

Cryna said...

Hi Kate

Congratulations on your 54th book.

I would like to see a Scottish or English alpha hero as well, although I am partial to the Italian ones (could be because my late husband was Italian).

Michele L. said...

Hi Kate,

Wow! Your 54th book?!?! That is awesome!!! I have a hard time just writing a letter! Ha,ha!

Congratulations on your 54th book!!! WOOHOO! So what ideas are floating around for your future books?

I love Italians because I am married to one! Lucky me! Ha,ha! He is absolutely a sweetheart and treats me so great! He has one of those huggy, kissy families which I love!

I definitely would love to see books featuring guys with accents. How about some aussies? Oh and I love british accents! How about some French and Spanish guys? Oo,La,La!

The sky's the limit! There are always the mysterious types that don't say much but are great lovers! That could be a spy book on espinionage. Did I spell that right?

Anyway, have fun writing! We all look forward to your next fantastic book!

Melis L.

Kate Walker said...

've all been busy posting! That's what I get for being in another time zone - I go to sleep and when I wake up you've all been in!

So -let me catch up -

Crystal - I think you've got it right. A great alpha male characters is a a great alpha male character - no matter where he's from!

And I enjoy reading novels with all sorts of heroes

Kate

Kate Walker said...

Hi Lucy! Hugs to you for letting me blog - and for visiting.
(and thank you for the ownderful compliment on my heroes!)

Like you I'll be intrigued to read Penny's Indian hero. And Nordic heroes - a 'brooding blond giant ' sounds so good. There aren't enough blond heroes, but like you I know I'd have to have the right story. It's intriguing isn't it how you can't just fit any hero into any story

K

Kate Walker said...

Hi Robyn

The interesting thing is that for each perons who reads one hero as a 'down home' hero, then for someone else he'll be foreign and exotic. I realised that when I had a UK hero who sold so well in Japan - and of course to them he was very foreign.

Personally, I love to read about American heroes - they're 'hone grown' to some of you but not to me!

K

Kate Walker said...

Brandy - we're in a minority of 2. I love Irish heroes particularly - I have irish family and I fell in love with Irish men from a very early age. And Scots - it's that accent.

There are lots of Scottish heroes in historical stories though

K

Kate Walker said...

Chrie - a Cajun hero - now that would be a challenge. I'd have to learn a lot more about that background before I'd feel I cold write him properly.
It's like the fact that I love reading about Native American heroes but I always feel afraid that I wouldn't get everything right if I tried to create one.

K

Kate Walker said...

flchen - Hi! Variety is the spice of life - isn't it? I agree with you though about too much of makign certain types or nationalities the villains - that's stereotyping and there's good and bad in all nationalities.

K

Kate Walker said...

Jane - I have to be partial to an English hero - after all I married one! And it's just not true that they're always 'stiff upper lipped' and have no passion ;o)

K

Kate Walker said...

Hi Amy

Oh I'm so glad that you enjoyed Spanish Billionaire, Innocent Wife - 'sizzling' is a such a great compliment. Thank yo!

And it's true - it's not the nationality that makes that 'sizzle' - it's the connection between the hero and heroine, wherever they come from

K

Kate Walker said...

Hi Nathalie

The medditerranean heroes are somtime easier to write as 'alpha male' heroes - but I like to try other ones too. But the Mediterranean alpha male is SO popular right now

K

Kate Walker said...

Hi Lily -
Was The Alcolar Family really the first for ages with Spanish heroes? I read somewhere that I have a reputation for writing really passionate Spaniards so I hope that the next couple of books with Spanish heroes in are 'sizzling' too. I know that the 2nd & 3rd books in The Alcolar Family was unusual in that they had Spanish heroines as well

K

Kate Walker said...

Hi Lidia - I thought I might see you here.

Yes, it's just a year since I was celebrating my 50th title - that was a lot of fun.

Was this an older book? I think Yvonne Whittal was writing years ago. A German hero - I wonder how that would be looked at now? But you're right too - sometimes, when we have so many Italians, Greeks, Spaniards etc then the terms of affection can get to be so much the same. I sometimes really try to find something differeent - it doesn't always work. But I do try!

K

Kate Walker said...

Hi Dina - lovely to 'see' you.

I wish I cold answer your question about where I find my stories but the truth is that sometimes it's getting difficult to find something new to write about. And then other times an idea just comes easily. (I wish there were more of those!)

Often it's a story in the papers or in a magazine thatsparks off an idea. Or just a line or seeing a person on TV. I never know when inspiration is going to strike - I'm just so glad when it does.

K

Kate Walker said...

Michele - let me admit the truth - I find it hard to write a letter too! ;o )

Well, you'll get to enjoy my next book I hope as I have an Italian hero in mind now. Not sure yet if he has one of those huggy/kissy families but we'll see.

It's funny about the british accents- I never think that I have one and then I talk to my American friends and they laugh and say 'say that again' just to hear it! I once was in a mall in Miami and I was buying a sweater and the woman said 'Oh, just keep talking so I can hear your accent!' I feel like that about Irish and Scottish accents - and some Aussies

K

Kate Walker said...

Did I amswer everyone? Hope so

Now I have to go and find Sid the Cat and get him to pick some names so I can award some prizes

be right back!

Kate

Kate Walker said...

OK

Sid has chosen two winners - so would Stacy and flchen1 please send me their postal addresses so that I can put their copies of The Duke's Secret Wife in the mail for them

Thanks so much to everyone for joining in - and to Lucy as always for having me here

See you soon!

Kate

Kate Walker said...

OOPS!

I should have said - winners please email me here:
kate AT kate-walker.com

(an address helps!) ;o)

Kate

robynl said...

congrats to the lucky winners

Cryna said...

Congratulations to the winners....

Jane said...

Congrats to the winners.

Dina said...

Enjoy your books winners.

lidia said...

Congratulations to the winners!

Kate, yes that was an older book by Y. Whittal. The libraries in my area do not keep newer HPs but still have quite a few of the older ones.