Monday, June 16, 2008

Guest Blogger - Brand Spankin' New Author

I'm new author, Jami Davenport, and I'm honored that Lucy invited me to guest blog today. Lucy is one of my favorite people and all-time favorite authors.

My first release, "Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed?" is now available from Siren Publishing. I write steamy contemporary romance, equestrian fiction, and romantic suspense. “Who’s Been Sleeping in My Bed?” is based very loosely on a funny incident that happened to a dear friend of mine years ago in our college days. Believe me, with her there were many comical moments, but this one has stuck in my mind.

We’ll call her Stella to protect the guilty. Stella decided to drive from Pullman, Washington, to Seattle for a little shopping spree. She arranged to spend the weekend with her roommate’s family. Stella was always running late because of some catastrophe or another. That night was no exception. She called the family before she left to let them know she’d arrive after midnight. Remember, this is a pre-cell phone era. (Are you getting an idea of how old I might be?) Anyway, they told her they'd be in bed, but the back door would be unlocked. They also told her the location of the upstairs guest bedroom.

Stella arrived about 2:30 am, found the key under the mat, located the guest bedroom, and promptly fell asleep. The next morning, she made her way to the kitchen for breakfast to discover she'd spent the entire night in the wrong house!

Now, my imagination went into overdrive with that one. What if there had been someone in that bed? What if they’d come home to find her in their bed? What if they thought she was a burglar? I batted around ideas over years and finally put them to paper. The result is “Who’s Been Sleeping in My Bed?”

Here's a blurb:
What happens when a reformed bad boy discovers a racy Goldilocks sleeping in his bed on a dark and stormy night?
Jake Reynolds returns home to discover a racy Goldilocks sleeping in his bed. Instead of doing the first thing on his mind or even the second, he hires her to organize his disorganized construction office. When his wealthy family meets the suggestively clad, polyester siren posing as Jake's assistant, they fear he's slipped back into his former role as the family bad boy.

Harlee Davis didn't know she was sleeping in Jake's bed. She was seeking refuge from two storms—the storm raging outside and the storm created by her screwed-up life. When she learns that Jake plans to demolish the very camp she’s been entrusted to preserve, Harlee mounts a crusade.

They wage a war of wills while battling their conflicting interests on a professional level and too much interest on a sexual level. One of them stands to lose everything in a game where there is no winner.

You can read the first chapter here. I’d love to know what you think.

Have you ever ended up in a situation that could have been a disaster, but everything fell into place in a weird series of coincidences?

Jamie :)

Available from Siren Publishing:
"Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed" - Out Now
"The Dance"--July 10, 2008
Subscribe to my newsletter:

26 comments:

Jami Davenport said...

Lucy,

Thanks for having me today. I'll pop in and out to answer any questions anyone might have.

Jami

Wendi said...

Hi, Jami! I love that story about "Stella" and the novel you turned it into! Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed was one of those books I couldn't put down. I loved it!

My bff and I got into lots of trouble during our younger years (and still do, on occasion), but the worst had to be the night we accidentally took a wrong turn while taking one of her famous shortcuts through a military base. The MPs (military police) were none too happy when they pulled us over for driving down the AIRPORT RUNWAY!!! Thank God they thought we were cute. :)

Wendi Darlin

Amy said...

Hi Jami, Great blog. I loved the first chapter. Now I am going to have to order myself a copy of Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed?

flchen1 said...

Hi, Jami (and Lucy), I loved your post today! Stella's story was hilarious, and I loved your excerpt! I'm with Amy--gonna have to order my own copy of Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed!

Jami Davenport said...

Hi, everyone. Thanks for the wonderful comments. I have a giveaway today, this Rosario Resort mug:

http://jamidavenport.home.att.net/images/RosarioMugsmall.jpg

I'll draw a winner from all the comments. Please leave a name in your post so I can identify you.

Rosario is a resort in Washington's San Juan Islands and a setting in my book.

Jami

Jami Davenport said...

PS: If anyone wants a bookmark, email me at jamidavenport@att.net with you snail mail address. I'll get one out to you.

Lynnsplanet said...

Good Morning -

I can still say that - I ahve 18 minutes. lol

Love the Stella story - I so need to finish this chapter so I can sit down and read Who's -- I can't wait. I may have to start it anyway.

Bekki

Jami Davenport said...

Good to see you here, Bekki. Thanks for stopping by.

Jami

Allie K. Adams said...

Hey Jami!

What a fantastic story idea! Love it. Love it. Love it. And I LOVE the book.

Allie

Lucy Monroe said...

Hey, doll...welcome! Loved your blog...makes me wonder what kind of other trouble "Stella" gets into. She sounds like the perfect fodder for story ideas. LOL

Mega hugs and hoping great success on this book and all that come after!

Brandy said...

Stella sounds like a funny friend. How wonderful you were able to take that story and turn it into a book! *G*
Can't wait to read it!

Angie-la said...

Jami! What a cool idea for a book.

Something like that ALMOST happened to the DH and I on our honeymoon (21 years ago this past Saturday!)
Only we came very close to breaking and entering when the person we rented our beach condo from gave us faulty directions to which building we were in. It was late. We were cranky. The key fit into the lock, but would'nt turn it. The (brand-new and very impatient!) DH was a hair away from doing something drastic when the people who were staying there arrived. After they got through laughing at us, they directed us to the correct building.
Its funny now, but at the time it was highly embarrassing!
Angie

Jane said...

Welcome, Jami.
I enjoyed the excerpt. I'm really looking forward to "Fourth and Goal." I'm a sucker for a hero who's an athlete.

Amy said...

Don't feel too bad. I clean houses for a living. I work for myself but at one time I cleaned for a company. The company I was working for sent me to a house I had never been to before. It was a new house in a new subdivision and there was a lot of new houses that had just gone up. I was suppose to clean it before the new owners moved in. I had almost finished the cleaning when the owners came in and asked who I was and why I was cleaning their house.
It turns out the new owner had given the agency I worked for the wrong house number. I was cleaning 284 when I was suppose to be cleaning 482.

Jenny Penn said...

LOL Wendi,

I did something similar on Paris Island. I got so lost and ended up in a restricted area where they take the recruits for the Crucible. I got caught by the MP’s, but they thought I was drinking. Nope, that’s just the way I am naturally.

Jami, I loved this book. It’s doing so well, I hope it continues for you!

Jenny

Jami Davenport said...

Lucy,

Thanks again for having me. Believe me, poor Stella was a walking disaster area. In one mess or the other from bad luck and her own doing.

Take care and big hugs!!!

Jami

Jami Davenport said...

Rereading this, I'm horrified that there are a few typos. That's what I get for writing it on too little sleep. Please forgive me.

Jami

Jami Davenport said...

Amy,

I'm so glad you like the blog entry, and my first chapter. I hope you'll like "Who's" just as much.

Jami

Jami Davenport said...

flchen1,

Glad you enjoyed it. There is actually more to her story. Stella actually sat down and had breakfast with these people because her roommate (who happened to be these people's neighbor) was in their kitchen when she walked in looking for Stella (She'd seen her car outside). It took Stella a while to sort out why everyone was looking at her strangely but they were too polite to ask what she was doing inviting herself to breakfast in their house.

Jami

Jami Davenport said...

Brandy,

I hope you enjoy "Who's."

Actually, Stella and I could laugh so hard we'd make ourselves sick. She is a long-time childhood friend who will forever be near and dear to me.

Jami Davenport said...

Angie,

I loved that story. I think it's great that we can laugh about stuff like that now. Have you thought of writing a book? YOu have your first chapter!!!

Jami

Jami Davenport said...

Jane,

I'm glad you liked the excerpt.

BTW, I love football. I'll watch it more than my husband will. That football story is near and dear to my heart. I started writing it years ago. When I discovered Susan Elizabeth Phillips, I abandoned it because the stories were so similar. Anyway, I have plans to do a series for that one, too. As soon as I finish "The Gift Horse" edits, Fourth and Goal is my next project.

Jami Davenport said...

Jenny,

Thanks for dropping by. I'm glad you love the book.

I'm also glad you found your way off Paris Island.

Jami

Jami Davenport said...

Amy,

I'd love that. You could accidentally clean my house for free any day!!!

Jami Davenport said...

Jenny Penn,

Contact me. You won the drawing for the Rosario mug.

Jami

Jami Davenport said...

PS: Lucy thanks for having me, and thanks to everyone for being so gracious. I'll stop by again.

Jami