Friday, May 30, 2008

When the bad guy doesn't want to be the bad guy

...and the good guy isn't cooperating either.

by Shiloh Walker

So you've got a book in your head.

Seems to be a pretty good one. A little different, interesting characters...all in all, it seems like a book you might like to read if you found it in a bookstore.

So you start writing it down.

You meet the heroine.

You meet the hero.

You meet the bad guy.

You meet the important secondaries, think you've got a handle on where the plot is going.

Then the bad guy decides to dig in his heels.

He doesn't want to be the bad guy.

Never mind the fact that it's going to throw your plot to hell. Never mind the fact that you already know how you're going to kill him. Never mind the fact that you don't plan to write a story for him. Because he has other plans. He wants to start infringing on the good guy's territory (the heroine, naturally) and when he can't have the heroine, you get a look inside his heart and see how much he needs his own heroine.

Then the good guy starts murmuring sympathetically. Even though it's not in the book, he's telling you all these things that you don't want to hear, because you don't want to write a book for the bad guy that was supposed to the villain and he wouldn't let you.

Come on, people! Is this my book or not?

Sigh. Since it's happened twice this year, I guess I know the answer to that.

Of course it's not my book.

It's theirs.

And if you wanna figure out which bad guy decided he wasn't going to be a bad guy...you'll have the read the book and find out. ;)

Photobucket



Through the Veil

Releases June 3, 2008
ISBN 9780425222478
Buy at Amazon ~ Buy at B&N.com

Found wandering in a field as a child, Lee Ross was given a name by the state and placed in a foster home-without anyone realizing she wasn't entirely human. All her life, she's tried to dismiss the odd dreams that have plagued her, dreams of monsters creeping through the night and a man, fighting demons by her side. But the bruises she wakes up with are all too real to ignore

Then the man from dreams appears in the flesh. His name is Kalen and he insists that her destiny lies in his world, the world of her dreams. To save their people, he must convince Lee to give everything she knows, follow her heart and cross into the Under Realm, even though once she does, she'll never be able to return.

Excerpt ~ Veil Scavenger Hunt

10 comments:

Brandy said...

Too funny! But, I can sympathize. Everyone want a HEA dont' they?
I'll be sure to look for this one at the bookstore.

azteclady said...

*huge grin*

Wish I had been a fly on the wall during those conversations with your characters, Shiloh!

Amy said...

LOL! The hero that wasn't suppose to be probably turns out to be one of the very best hero's

Shiloh Walker said...

Everyone want a HEA dont' they?

Uh-huh. What's up with that? ;)

Wish I had been a fly on the wall during those conversations with your characters, Shiloh!

Snicker. Okay, since they take place inside my brain... that's kind of a weird image. ;)

The hero that wasn't suppose to be probably turns out to be one of the very best hero's

;) I've had one or two of those lately.

Lucy, thanks for having me! I'll drop back in.

flchen1 said...

The blurb is pretty intriguing, Shiloh! And since I'm not a writer, I'm giggling at your bad-guy troubles--I'm sure it all worked out rather amazingly in the end ;) Can't wait to read for myself!

Shiloh Walker said...

The blurb is pretty intriguing, Shiloh! And since I'm not a writer, I'm giggling at your bad-guy troubles--I'm sure it all worked out rather amazingly in the end ;) Can't wait to read for myself!

LOL. People laugh all the time at the voices us writers hear...or at least they do in my case. ;)

Michelle B said...

Gotta love those bad boys :-D

Reading this post makes me really want to read that story, and I haven't even "met" the character yet!

On a side note, I saw Through the Veil on the new book rack at an independent used bookstore I visited today. It tempted me, but I'm waiting to buy it on release day!

Shiloh Walker said...

:) awwww... thanks, Michelle!

azteclady said...

fichen1, the blurb actually reflects the story (which almost never happens, IMnotatallhumbleO), so yes, you're gonna like it.

Lots.

flchen1 said...

Ooh, cool, azteclady! Thanks for the in-the-know opinion! (says someone who's been disappointed before ;))